Sep 29, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #62 of 260
^^ Thanks for reposting that Jay.
rolleyes.gif
 Is this the "payback?"

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #63 of 260
MOI' ??    
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #64 of 260
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #66 of 260

I was very tempted to try building the Ember myself, but I chickened out.  You get a 5-year warranty if they do the building, so that seemed like the safe play.

I'd love to make some cables, too.  Seems like a nice hobby since cables are so ridiculously overpriced (in my opinion).

Making cables is not that hard and is quite rewarding . If you screw up it is an easy fix to make  done that). I wanted to try out my Xlr cables but didn't want to impose ( I should have as I think no one would have objected but I didn't want to impose) so I guess I have to wait for my LC. I love braiding the cables and saw the Norne cable braids and I need to copy that it is too cool. Here is a pic of the Xlr cable made of OCC copper and Silver plated OFC copper wire wraped in Paracord.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #67 of 260

Even More Regrets: Just a great group of Head-Fi people at the meet, including the dude sitting next to me who brought his lovely wife with him and his Alpha Dogs. I honest thought at the last meet he was casing us out for a heist, what a great guy and partner (who lets him buy into HP's), I apologized for being an idiot  A  turntable setup and a Music City first. Last, for annoying anyone at the meet with the Vols game, wasting my time on that loss with a chance to hear more HP's and setups.

I really found it funny you thought I was casing the joint at the Spring meet. You weren't an idiot. You guys didn't know me and I was working on eastern time zone so I was an hour early. You are right that I have a great wife ; )

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #68 of 260
First off, a big thank you to Theogenes for all of his hard work and efforts!   I tip my hat to you, it was a great event! 

Of course, I want to thank all of the sponsors, we all appreciate their support.  Honorable mention to Joe at Headphone Audiophile, for going above and beyond.  I was hearing some static in my system, Joe let me plug my IDSD into his system, which eliminated that piece as the problem.  Actually, Theogenes helped with my issue as well, he loaned me one of his DACs trying to track down the problem.   I ended up using my iPhone6 instead of the MacBook, and all was well. 

Between getting there late and the issues with my system, I wasn't able to listen to as much equipment as I had hoped.  But I had wanted to hear a HD650 on my system and there were several on hand.  I was very impressed with them, and can understand why they still have such a following.  

The best thing about the meet was getting together with like minded individuals, who just happen to be good people.  None of my friends are into this hobby, so it was cool talking with others who have the same passion.  Thanks again to all, it was a very enjoyable day. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #69 of 260
  I really found it funny you thought I was casing the joint at the Spring meet. You weren't an idiot. You guys didn't know me and I was working on eastern time zone so I was an hour early. You are right that I have a great wife ; )

LOL.  Nice meeting you - please come back next time!!

Best -
Dick

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #70 of 260
Dear All,

Just a great meet, thanks to y'all head-fiers who attended and to the vendors who keep coming back.  A really nice crowd and really nice feeling.  Already looking forward to the next meet.

Burnley, you are just cut out for hosting the meets.  Awesome job my friend, once again.  Please feel free to bring a TV next time for watching some golf, maybe a soccer match, no problem...

FYI, after we got home (early, had to pack-up for business travel), me and Annette watched the end of the FLA-TN game.  We usually don't watch college FB and especially since the final round of the FedEx cup was underway, but I had to see it.  Let me tell you - it was totally painful.  TN should have won that game.  They had plenty of time but didn't use the clock to their advantage. There's probably some clock management training going on this week in Knoxville.

As for the gear -

- The Ethers sounded better to me than at the spring meet.  I really like the closed version.  Very neutral and resolving SQ.  Also very light and transparent cans.  More comfy than the LCD's.
 - The HEK seemed to be a great sounding HP, but they let in so much external noise that it was impossible to really audition them - would require a quiet room.  Annette and I placed them somewhere between the HD800 and LCD-X for SQ.  Meaning - not up to the HD800 in our brief listening experience.
 - Was impressed with the HE-560 sound when paired with my AK120ii and BHA-1.  Nice rich full SQ for their price point.
 - I don't know what Dan the Speedster has going, but everything at his table sounded great to me.
 - Got a lot of positive comments about my Gumby - HDVA600 - HD800 rig.  I agree - the rig drives the HD800 pretty well for not a huge amount of $$.
 - Enjoyed the vinyl sound again, first time in a long time.  
 - I tested Randy's LCD-3F with my Bryston amp, and still prefer the LCD-X.  The 3F have a very warm (plush?) sound that pulls you into the music, just a touch warm for my taste.

Missed meeting Jay and hope your wife's condition has improved!  Think I've corresponded with Jay, and valued your advice, since I became a head-fier - would be great to meet in person.

Didn't sell my Mjolnir1 that was on the table at $400, that's less than the other 4-5 for sale on the head-fi thread for $450 - 500.  Oh well.

I think the Best Western's conference room was better than the hotel in Spring Hill for the May meet.  More easily accessible.  Was quite a bit better when they brought in the fan for the 4th quarter.  Don't know about the rooms but expect they were less than spectacular...

And now, y'all know from watching Jude's video from Can-Jam that the true flagship has just been released at $3,995 for true headphone bliss.  The LCD-4 and they are for sale right now on the Audez'e web site.  OH SCHIIT here goes the retirement account!!  Seems like the nano-technology will be worth watching - first the HEK and now the LCD-4.  Here we go, again.

All the Best,
Dick

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #71 of 260
@Theogenes here are some of the titles that I found out about at the meet:

1. Patrick Watson has several that are really titles. The two that I got over the weekend were Love Songs for Robots and Adventures in Your own Backyard...both of these are exceptional. 

2. Roger Waters: Amused to Death...a great album and and recording masterpiece. 

3. Daniel Lanios: Shine...I heard this on Dan's setup and really liked it but haven't bought it yet. 

4. Sounds from the Ground: Kin

5. Ryan Adams: 1989...this is a Taylor Swift cover especially for you Burnely. 
biggrin.gif

6. Stanton Moore: Conversations...great jazz and incredibly well recorded. 

These are just a few things that I picked up. They are all over the place with regard to genre. But that's how my taste run. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back