Music City Meet - Fall 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #31 of 260
I listened to them on the LC and later on the Cary.  They were only a few hours old so that may be the problem.  The HE-6 was on Burnley's amp which I don't remember.  They seemed unbalanced, bass heavy.  It was unfamiliar material so that could have contributed to my impression.  You could be right, I wanted to like the HE-560 considering their rep for great sound and value, but these just did not sound right.

After running the he560 for 30 hours straight, I can assure you they are sounding much better. They had maybe 4 hours on them up to the time of the meet. Sorry for everyone's disappointment, but they were not a true representation of what they are capable of.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #32 of 260
Okay, big picture dump before hitting the sack. HUGE thanks to Vincent for taking and sharing these!!

And of course, those 2.1-decades-in-the-earning brewskis for The Birthday Boy! Thanks for spending your biggest b-day with us, bro... And I promise, beer gets better :wink:

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 260
Also, quick note: if anybody is interested in picking up one of the Woo Amps at the show discount, please let me know before tomorrow afternoon, as I have to send them back. If you want it and you're somewhere reasonably close, I can see about meeting you to save you shipping. Here's the lowdown from Big Mike himself: 

- WA22 retails for $1999 — show demo unit price $1799  
- WA6-SE retails for $1190 — show demo unit price $1071

Lemme know! And I'm really off to sleep now. :)

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #34 of 260
Oh, how was the Gustard amp?

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #35 of 260
If anyone liked the stax setup there is a music city meet discount. Only $1200 for both amp and headphone. Despite being around a while not too many people in the States have heard the airbow.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #36 of 260
I can't believe that there was a gs-x mkii there and I missed it...doh! The he1000 and gs-x mill was at the top of my list to hear and somehow I didn't see it. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #37 of 260
Great meet, thanks everyone for attending and our vendors.

My main purpose for the meet, was to enjoy the company of everyone.  Gear wise, the HE1000 and Ether-C were my biggest desires to hear at the meet.  HE1000 is extremely open, it sounded very good, though a closed HP makes much more sense to my purposes.  

The Ether-C if this was at the last meet, i'm sure i would have bought it (personal circumstances are changing).  Excellent sound isolation, much better than my open HP (AKG K550 and AT W5000), excellent sound, I don't have anything negative to say.  

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #38 of 260
Okay, let's see what I can remember:

Ether C - It's a nice headphone. Bassier than the open version and less airy and open-sounding (duh). It seemed to highlight vocals quite well. The first thing I mentioned to Dan was that the Ether and Ether C seemed to fit together to cover all of your listening needs. One would be a better choice v. the other based on the genre you happen to be listening to. He confirmed that the sound signatures were intended to be complementary.

HE-1000 - Yep, it's a great sounding headphone. And, not a monster to drive. My Project Ember seemed to do a fine job with them. To be honest there wasnt' one aspect of them that really stood out as being extraordinary. Each aspect of it is bested by other headphones...there are headphones with better bass, with more clarity, etc., etc. But, the total package is hard to match. The fact that nothing about it really stood out is actually, in my mind, it's biggest strength. I was able to dive into the music without any distractions. I could just listen and enjoy. All of this said, I just can't justify the price tag. There are other headphones that can give me the same level enjoyment, and at a much more reasonable price. Put it in line with the HD800/Ether, and you've got yourself one of the best bargains in audio. The other question mark is build quality...the things I've seen really make me question their durability, but I suppose that time will tell.

HE-6 - This is officially my favorite headphone now. It just does so much right. The perfect combination of clarity and musicality. Just the right mix of aggression/clarity without being fatiguing or harsh. I'll never own them, but it's nice to know I get to enjoy Burnley's pair 2x/year. Burnley, if you ever sell them, you need to loan them to me for a week beforehand so I can bid them a tearful farewell. :p And, once again, the Project Ember was up to the task. I'm quite certain other amps can do a better job with them, but the power was sufficient and the sound was very nice. It pushed my amp to about 2 oclock on the volume knob, but there was enough headroom to feel comfortable with the pairing.

Stax - This was my first time hearing a Stax unit. Crystal clear and quite fun. Just missing that bit of soul that I feel like a weightier/darker sound can provide.

HD650 - I forget who I was talking to, but they referred to their HD650 as "low end" gear, and I immediately (but politely, I hope) stopped them in their tracks. The HD650 is NOT low end. At all. It's a beautiful-sounding headphone and there's a reason it's stood the test of time. I'd love to add one of these to my stable someday. It'd be fun to pit it against my HE-500s for an extended audition.

HE-500 - Yes, I'm going to brag on my own headphones. Neck and neck with the HD650 for best headphone value as far as I can tell. Used for $300-$350? No-brainer. It's always nice to hear TOTL gear, but still come away feeling like you're not missing out on too much.

Schiit Gumby - Really fun listen. Drum impact...my goodness. Clarity and aggression (not to be read as harshness) at its best. Nice setup Dick...next time I hope to hear the Gumby through a different amp, just for kicks. Toss a nice tube amp into that line and see what you get.

Thanks for the good time, everyone! I really enjoyed it...

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #39 of 260
  A few highlights for me:

1. Getting to listen to the hd650 on a decent vinyl setup. It's been a long, long time since I listed to vinyl. Sounded pretty damn good. Thanks to the guy who brought it. I'm sorry but I can't recall your name.

It was me, Ryan. :) 

And thank you very much. It was not an elaborate setup, but just goes to show how inconvenient vinyl is, but still can sound amazing with some vintage vinyl, especially the few direct-to-disk albums I have. Next time I will try have more planned out.

Highlights were me were:

1. Hearing the Ethers. I know the Ether Cs were new for many of you, but both of these were excellent. I was really impressed with the Ethers for sure. That Yggy was also impressive, but I still heard Matt's Ethers and confirmed their prowess.

2. The HE-500. A very natural sounding headphone.

3. The Stax. Where else you going to experience these?

4. All the Audeze headphones. Excellent sounds, but yes, heavy. It makes the Ethers that much nicer and comfortable.

5. The Schiit Modi. Liked it so much, I picked up a used Modi (1st Gen) on Amazon last night. Should go well with my O2 I am building and my HD650s. Thanks to the guy who suggested the Modi over the ODAC.

6. Getting to meet everyone as well as Dan Clark.

I can't believe how much I missed by looking at the pictures of all the gear. Next time I certainly plan on getting there earlier and spending some more time going through the room. So much stuff. Thanks to all of you for bringing it all to share. So much great music you guys have too - I certainly need to add some more tunes to my collection. I look forward to Spring to hear more.

And thanks to Burnley for all the hard work and organization. Those name tags looked pro with our avatar and everything. You made this meet happen, and we all thank you. And that was a tough loss for the Vols :frowning2: 

Speaking of avatars...I now changed my avatar to one of my record players, so that should make it easy for you guys to remember me. Ha.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #41 of 260
Oh, I cannot forget KilKil's AKG collection. Very great to hear all of those. I was very impressed with the 7XXs. For $200, you can't go wrong with those.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 260
I had a great time, thanks again for the great hospitality!  

Burnley, I forget to get you cash for the pizza, let me know how much to PayPal you.  And yeah, it was pretty fun watching you charge at the screen a few times. You need "fan insurance" or something...
beerchug.gif

Last note, I got to sit next to the founder of the O'Jays founder Edie Levert on my flight Sunday AM.  He enjoyed the ETHER C and I think he's buying a few.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 28, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #43 of 260
Last note, I got to sit next to the founder of the O'Jays founder Edie Levert on my flight Sunday AM.  He enjoyed the ETHER C and I think he's buying a few.  

Typical Nashville. You never know who you're going to see or meet around here.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #44 of 260
  I had a great time, thanks again for the great hospitality!  

Burnley, I forget to get you cash for the pizza, let me know how much to PayPal you.  And yeah, it was pretty fun watching you charge at the screen a few times. You need "fan insurance" or something...
beerchug.gif

That is waaayy cool. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #45 of 260

This is the connector I picked up at the meet, I think it's Burnley's but I'm not 100% sure, it was left connected to my LCD-3, so I packed it away by accident.

Happy 21, I hope you will eventually find that beer your looking for 
wink_face.gif

Thanks again Burnley for all the time and effort you throw into this meet, all the vendors were outstanding and the chance to hear high end HP's and setups is a special treat.

Impressions:

Ether open and closed:  I felt the open HP was more to my liking, but both were outstanding.  My impression of the Ether at the last meet was positive, but I was just not that overwhelmed. I felt the Alpha Prime's were just as good or better. Strange how much better the Ether sounded to me this time around.  Talking to Dan later in the day he thought the HP's at the last meet were preproduction models.  
I would characterize the sound of the Ethers' as somewhere between the character of the LCD-3 and the HD800, well balanced and with very little color, they are much more comfortable  than the LCD series and less sterile than the HD800, they still retain the gravitas of the top line HP's.  On my own system they retained the best features of the LCD-3's great mids, and imaging with just slightly less bass extension.  A beautiful HP.

HE1K:  Smooth and transparent on my system, but for the money I would grab the Ether

HE500: On Skyline's setup very nice, amazing what a very well put together DIY can do

HD700:  Loved them on the Cary, so retried them on my setup as well and they still sounded very special, an under appreciated HP

HE-6:  Impressed me as much this meet as the last 2 meets

HD800:  I've been reticent to say anything about these HP's as I own a pair, but there were several at the meet and they are still one of my favorites,
              the HDV800 sounded much better to me at this meet than the previous meet, the Apex Teton worked well but then the stream quit about 1/2 way through a song and I just didn't feel comfortable messing around with someone else's gear, that HP amp had plenty of sound and power but hard to get a good feel for.  Several regrets, Dan's Liquid Glass/YGGY setup and what a chance to compare several HP's 

AKG:     You want them, Tom had them, what a great guy and the DIY wooden amp that was solid, as always a fun guy with really nice HP's

Fostex TH-900:   Wins the best looking HP award, I loved the current setup and a big upgrade over the previous meet.  

More Regrets:  I brought the TV monitor to watch the Vols march to victory, that didn't happen, and to toggle the OPPO player which was fine for me, but did give [size=x-small]anyone [/size]else any options,[size=x-small] so from now on computer audio is what I need to return to.  The YGGY is one of the DAC's I wanted try with the GS-Xmk2 well that didn't happen, what [/size]was I thinking? The Vols:  I thought Burnley was going to break a table, Fred looked scared, nuff said.

Even More Regrets: Just a great group of Head-Fi people at the meet, including the dude sitting next to me who brought his lovely wife with him and his Alpha Dogs. I honest thought at the last meet he was casing us out for a heist, what a great guy and partner (who lets him buy into HP's), I apologized for being an idiot  A  turntable setup and a Music City first. Last, for annoying anyone at the meet with the Vols game, wasting my time on that loss with a chance to hear more HP's and setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back