Music City Meet - Fall 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #91 of 260
  Here's the thing with cables though. Proaudiola will build you a mogami cable for cost (they have a contract with mogami to do all the labor at cost) and btg has a 15% off sale going on right now if you wanna take it up a notch. If btg is not good enough for ya I don't what is. Brian don't play.

Sure, and if you want affordable, there's also this guy that JoeDoe is raving about:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables

Certainly looks like a good deal.

But something you made for yourself has it's own special appeal.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #92 of 260
I've got about a half dozen Altoids tins if anyone wants to do a group CMOY build. I know they are kind of a novelty, but they are fun and you can get some experience soldering. They are also fun and cheap too. They only take an hour or two to build.

You don't even have to keep them, you can give them to your friends or family.

I even have a spare soldering iron.

Just an idea.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #93 of 260
  Here's the thing with cables though. Proaudiola will build you a mogami cable for cost (they have a contract with mogami to do all the labor at cost) and btg has a 15% off sale going on right now if you wanna take it up a notch. If btg is not good enough for ya I don't what is. Brian don't play.

There is something for doing it yourself though. I'm sure the wire I get is on par with BTG and it is 24 awg for occ there's is ofc (btg 26 awg) and 6 foot cable would cost $100 for the wire and they want $149 for the cable. They want another $50 for round braid ( free for me ) plus more for better connectors so I'll build my own plus I like doing it. Not saying those aren't good cables by any means. I was looking at there Sunset cables (looks nice) . If someone wasn't sure about building there own I think I would recommend someone check them out ( though I have not heard them but if you recommend them then that is good for me). I just find satisfaction in doing things myself. Wasn't trying to slam on you  please don't take it that way I really enjoyed talking to you at the meet and that was not my intent.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #94 of 260
I've got about a half dozen Altoids tins if anyone wants to do a group CMOY build. I know they are kind of a novelty, but they are fun and you can get some experience soldering. They are also fun and cheap too. They only take an hour or two to build.

Just an idea.

I've seen those they look like fun to do. 
  Sure, and if you want affordable, there's also this guy that JoeDoe is raving about:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables

Certainly looks like a good deal.

But something you made for yourself has it's own special appeal.

Wow those are cheap. I need to find out where they source there wire. I can't see making money unless that wire is cheap. I was thinking of building cables as a part time gig just for the fun of it.I was impressed by the interconnects I made for my HT setup compared to Monster cables. I like hybrid cables silver plated and copper. I made a set of silver plated cables from my pre outs to my Adcom GFA 555 running my Polk LSi 15's and the clarity was just a step above but it lacked a little bass so I added OCC copper back in and it was a real improvement. YMMV as I am not a expert on anything but I know what I hear. I can't wait for the Ether C's to check out my cables I made for my Mr Speakers I screwed up the left side so I could try them out at the meet (hand to the forehead).

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #95 of 260
  There is something for doing it yourself though. I'm sure the wire I get is on par with BTG and it is 24 awg for occ there's is ofc (btg 26 awg) and 6 foot cable would cost $100 for the wire and they want $149 for the cable. They want another $50 for round braid ( free for me ) plus more for better connectors so I'll build my own plus I like doing it. Not saying those aren't good cables by any means. I was looking at there Sunset cables (looks nice) . If someone wasn't sure about building there own I think I would recommend someone check them out ( though I have not heard them but if you recommend them then that is good for me). I just find satisfaction in doing things myself. Wasn't trying to slam on you  please don't take it that way I really enjoyed talking to you at the meet and that was not my intent.

Where do you get your wire from? I'm starting to source components and am having trouble sourcing wire, would love any advice with that.

How are you stripping the insulation? POWS? (Plain old Wire Stripper?)

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #96 of 260

Just an idea.

I'd be game for that.  I could gift it to one of my students.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #97 of 260

Where do you get your wire from? I'm starting to source components and am having trouble sourcing wire, would love any advice with that.

How are you stripping the insulation? POWS? (Plain old Wire Stripper?)

That depends on how much you want to spend on the cables. I also would recommend you go to http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread. You will find all you need there. If you need more PM me I will be happy to answer any questions if I can. This is getting off topic for this thread.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #98 of 260
Hey All, back from my "in-country" tour", ya know there's a war going on out there!

Hate that I missed the Ether C's!!!!! Burnley, in one post you impressed the stuffing out of me, quoting Oscar Wilde. Then you go and bad mouth the Gators, honestly I stopped watching the "Game Trac" after the first half, wasn't looking forward to wearing the loosing beats T-shirt! Oh, and I stand by the 10,000 klics comment, both of us charging the TV, for opposite reasons, could have led to a nuclear reaction! 

Matt, so happy to see you got your groove on, who was piping the Barry Manlow
very_evil_smiley.gif
 ? 

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #99 of 260
Thanks @RiddleyWalker for your kind comments.  It was nice meeting you and Courtney :).

I fully agree the HD800 rig doesn't work on the brightest music, including M83 (too bad, because I like their music).  The HD800 don't work on most pop music due to the way it's produced.

They really sound like crap on Taylor Swift music, but most HP's do.

However, on music like the NGDB album from the 1970's, the Gumby makes the HD800's shine.  I have realized the improvement on other music like blues ("Albert King and SRV in Session") and rock (Three Doors Down 2014 and the remastered Zeppelin albums).  That music rocks with the HD800, and I never thought I would write that the HD800's "rock."  Depends so much on the music production.

Next time, let's listen to the NGDB classic "Uncle Charlie and his Dog Teddy."  Will be a foot stompin' event.

Cheers,
Dick

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #100 of 260
  Hey All, back from my "in-country" tour", ya know there's a war going on out there!

Hate that I missed the Ether C's!!!!! Burnley, in one post you impressed the stuffing out of me, quoting Oscar Wilde. Then you go and bad mouth the Gators, honestly I stopped watching the "Game Trac" after the first half, wasn't looking forward to wearing the loosing beats T-shirt! Oh, and I stand by the 10,000 klics comment, both of us charging the TV, for opposite reasons, could have led to a nuclear reaction! 

Matt, so happy to see you got your groove on, who was piping the Barry Manlow
very_evil_smiley.gif
 ? 

Welcome back to the US, Kevin.
Got any artillery or vodka pics to share?

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #101 of 260
Welcome back to the US, Kevin.
Got any artillery or vodka pics to share?

Not quite out yet, after a littler tour in the Donesk area, no pictures allowed, we are back in Kharkiv. With lots of stories to swap. Between Crimea, Donesk, and now Syria Comrade Putin is certainly having his way with the CNC. It's going to get exponentially worse.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #102 of 260
Sorry for taking so long to comment, I've been crazy busy here lately and no time to do anything it seems...

Oh well, as usual it was a great meet, I have a great time every time I come up to Nashville for this one, bottom line is that it's a great group of guys who love music and headphones who also love to share their gear with other junkies!  No problems, no egos no one obnoxious, oh wait there is me....

I was going to post some pics but after Burnley laid down all of those nice pictures, mine are lame, good job man!

Thanks to the folks who purchased from me that weekend and I had a great time as usual!

Maybe next one we'll have LCD-4 and a King to listen to!

Oh yeah:

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #103 of 260
Did any of Ya'll notice the Gators beating up on the Rebs, could hear that giant sucking sound from the Swamp to here in Kharkov! There is a new beast in the East (SEC):crocodile:, soooo sorrrryyyyy, Smokey:dog:.

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #104 of 260
Did any of Ya'll notice the Gators beating up on the Rebs, could hear that giant sucking sound from the Swamp to here in Kharkov! There is a new beast in the East (SEC):crocodile:, soooo sorrrryyyyy, Smokey:dog:.

OMG, that was AWEFULL! Full disclaimer, I went to Ole Miss. But I'm a Vol for Life now!

Someone at work told me that Floridu would win against Ole Miss, and I was like, hell no, not gonna happen! Damn, he's gonna rub that one in! Floridu took care of business, no doubt about that.

Go to HELL Gators!

Looks like that's the coach we should have hired at UT, damn Butch just doesn't seem like he's got what it takes for the SEC. That number Alex Collins at Arkansas was something though, slippery, fast, mean and powerful! That guy will make millions in the NFL, no doubt. It seemed like it took 4 people to take him down every time he ran the ball. He's a beast!

One thing that has to change at UT before we will ever be able to compete is our AD has to go, the guys a bafoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back