Music City Meet - Fall 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #121 of 260
  Hey, if they're simple and cheap, why not? (Are they, in point of fact, actually simple and cheap?)

To answer the first question, yes. A CMOY has about 6 or 8 resistors, input and output jacks, a volume pot, a few capacitors, an LED, and of course 9V battery leads. All in all a handful of parts. It should only take an hour or two with patient hands to solder one together. The hard part is cutting out the holes in the Altoids tin. JDS Labs makes a rechargeable CMOY with a Bass Boost that has tons of parts - not simple and not cheap. 

I found THIS site that has some simple to some modification CMOYs that looks like lots of fun. They ship from Australia. (Be sure to change the currency to US Dollars to see the actual price).

Looking sharp, man! Mind if I ask how long it's taken you to do all that? And if you lost any appendages while doing it?

Building your own O2 is actually a very ambitious project, especially since I am making one with rear power and rear RCA input. I wanted to put a 1/4" output, but you have to modify a couple of parts first on the board that I did not do the first time.

I know my way around a soldering iron, and I'd say it's taken me about 6 hours total so far. Just worked on it a few evenings when after the kiddo went to bed. If I chose the standard parts and/or kit, I'd probably be done by now. The resistors and diodes took about a couple of hours, the other parts took another couple of hours, but then I added rear power and rear input, so that took a couple of more hours. 

No loss of appendages, just a couple of skin sizzles/owies, but mostly when I was holding and using the desolder wick. It helps to have a good Hakko iron as well as my borrowed PanaVise for working and for safety.

I almost had it working the other day, but I had one of the transistors in backwards. So I had to order a new transistor, an 1/8" output jack, and a new faceplate which should all come in this week and should be rockin' by this weekend - everything else is done! Here's an updated picture:

And yes, this one has a 1/8" output jack. I borrowed one from my CMOY to test, but it sits too low to fit the JDS faceplate and will need to be replaced by the new one coming in - that means more desoldering with the solder wick...I might tape up my finger tips with electrical tape.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #122 of 260
  Are you by chance coming to the Brewer's Jam?

Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiightly belated response, but no, I didn't get to go this year. I went last year (first beer festival I ever went to, actually) and had an utter blast. If I get a chance to come to Knoxville for a game or something (won't be in October, that's for sure), I'll shoot you a message and see if you're available. If so, we can hit up Barley's or Half Barrel and grab a cold one if that's cool by you!

To answer the first question, yes. A CMOY has about 6 or 8 resistors, input and output jacks, a volume pot, a few capacitors, an LED, and of course 9V battery leads. All in all a handful of parts. It should only take an hour or two with patient hands to solder one together. The hard part is cutting out the holes in the Altoids tin. JDS Labs makes a rechargeable CMOY with a Bass Boost that has tons of parts - not simple and not cheap. 

I found THIS site that has some simple to some modification CMOYs that looks like lots of fun. They ship from Australia. (Be sure to change the currency to US Dollars to see the actual price).

Building your own O2 is actually a very ambitious project, especially since I am making one with rear power and rear RCA input. I wanted to put a 1/4" output, but you have to modify a couple of parts first on the board that I did not do the first time.

I know my way around a soldering iron, and I'd say it's taken me about 6 hours total so far. Just worked on it a few evenings when after the kiddo went to bed. If I chose the standard parts and/or kit, I'd probably be done by now. The resistors and diodes took about a couple of hours, the other parts took another couple of hours, but then I added rear power and rear input, so that took a couple of more hours. 

No loss of appendages, just a couple of skin sizzles/owies, but mostly when I was holding and using the desolder wick. It helps to have a good Hakko iron as well as my borrowed PanaVise for working and for safety.

I almost had it working the other day, but I had one of the transistors in backwards. So I had to order a new transistor, an 1/8" output jack, and a new faceplate which should all come in this week and should be rockin' by this weekend - everything else is done! Here's an updated picture:

And yes, this one has a 1/8" output jack. I borrowed one from my CMOY to test, but it sits too low to fit the JDS faceplate and will need to be replaced by the new one coming in - that means more desoldering with the solder wick...I might tape up my finger tips with electrical tape.

I'll take your word for all of that... Just consider me interested and impressed. I've always appreciated the DIY ethos, even if I've never had the solder thumb (or requisite faith in my ability to at least not burn down my apartment building). 

Those basic CMOYs might be fun. How do they sound? 

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #123 of 260

Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiightly belated response, but no, I didn't get to go this year. I went last year (first beer festival I ever went to, actually) and had an utter blast. If I get a chance to come to Knoxville for a game or something (won't be in October, that's for sure), I'll shoot you a message and see if you're available. If so, we can hit up Barley's or Half Barrel and grab a cold one if that's cool by you!

By all mean, please do!

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #124 of 260
Hey Theogenes, looking forward to reading your comparison of the Ether-C and LCD-XC! Well the Gators played a great game in Death Valley, sans Grier, still in the drivers seat for the East. Burnley, a positive way to look at it is that Grier retained his eligibility (Ha!!!).

Bama looked pretty tough against A&M, the Vols better bring their best game, but anything could happen. Go Vols, beat Bama!!! (Olive Branch, 
beerchug.gif
).

Sold my beloved HE560s, but they will be staying in the Nashville Metro, so I'll be able to visit at least twice a year! Looking for recommendations for a balancing headphone for my HD800, Randy and Dick have the Audezes, so I am exploring that avenue, all advice is solicited and welcomed! 

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #125 of 260
  Hey Theogenes, looking forward to reading your comparison of the Ether-C and LCD-XC! Well the Gators played a great game in Death Valley, sans Grier, still in the drivers seat for the East. Burnley, a positive way to look at it is that Grier retained his eligibility (Ha!!!).

Bama looked pretty tough against A&M, the Vols better bring their best game, but anything could happen. Go Vols, beat Bama!!! (Olive Branch, 
beerchug.gif
).

Sold my beloved HE560s, but they will be staying in the Nashville Metro, so I'll be able to visit at least twice a year! Looking for recommendations for a balancing headphone for my HD800, Randy and Dick have the Audezes, so I am exploring that avenue, all advice is solicited and welcomed! 

The hd650 complements the 800 well and for cheap too. Depends on what you mean by balancing. Hard to beat the Ether C and that would give you a great open and closed headphone. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #126 of 260

By all mean, please do!

Will do, man! And of course, if you come up to Big Nash anytime soon, drop me a line... Oteil and I have hit up a few places here and on the Plateau and always find plenty to talk about :wink:

beerchug.gif
).

Yeah, can't wait for the Ether C... Already sold off some of the collection in anticipation, and might end up downsizing some more. Even if the Ether C only plays the XC to a draw sonically, it's still a win after comfort, isolation, and portability. Really, really excited!!

As for the foosballs: my Vols came so, so close to finally setting the ship truly aright on Saturday. This had better be the absolute last of the moral victories (and any losses the rest of the season are going to cause a serious meltdown among the fanbase), but it's hard not to be encouraged by the resiliency and fight of this team. If we're not battling for an SEC championship in 2016, then something is seriously wrong IMO. (And olive branch gratefully accepted, lol!)

Speaking of HD-800... You see that HD-800S yet? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The hd650 complements the 800 well and for cheap too. Depends on what you mean by balancing. Hard to beat the Ether C and that would give you a great open and closed headphone. 

Never could get into the HD-650, but I agree that the Ether C is definitely in the conversation for best closed back headphone currently available. It's certainly fighting for the top spot among the closed stuff I've heard!

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #127 of 260
Is it just my imagination, or do we have an administrator in our house....

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #129 of 260
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #130 of 260
You know I heard Matt talking about throwing "shrimps on the barbee" once:flag_au:, and humming "Waltzing Matilda":scream:....

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #132 of 260
  Hi folks,
For my friends who read this thread, I'd like to offer my Audez'e LCD-XC headphones for sale at a special price.
These cans have an estimated 150-hours on them and are like new (look at the ear pads).  Retail price is $1799.   Listed by other Head-Fiers on the for-sale thread anywhere from $1100 to $1375. Owing to the condition of these HPs, I think that $1100 is a good price.
PM me if you are interested.  Includes stock cables, Pelican travel case and warranty.  Great closed cans that are easy to drive and make all music genres come alive.
If nobody on our meet thread is interested, I will post them on the regular thread probably at $1300.  First PMed first served.  I will pay shipping, you pay Paypal fee.

Cheers -
Dick

Dick that's a heck of a deal, I wish I could tell you to shut and take my money this time. Someone will get a heck of a well taken care of set of cans here. (What he was selling at the last meet could have passed for mint condition, I can validate that).

Someone take this deal!

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #133 of 260
Hi folks,
For my friends who read this thread, I'd like to offer my Audez'e LCD-XC headphones for sale at a special price.
These cans have an estimated 150-hours on them and are like new (look at the ear pads).  Retail price is $1799.   Listed by other Head-Fiers on the for-sale thread anywhere from $1100 to $1375. Owing to the condition of these HPs, I think that $1100 is a good price.
PM me if you are interested.  Includes stock cables, Pelican travel case and warranty.  Great closed cans that are easy to drive and make all music genres come alive.
If nobody on our meet thread is interested, I will post them on the regular thread probably at $1300.  First PMed first served.  I will pay shipping, you pay Paypal fee.

Cheers -
Dick

Yeah, I paid a few hundred more than that for mine, and considered it a bargain... Great headphones, great price, great guy. Somebody is making out like a bandit.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #134 of 260
Thanks guys for your nice comments.  However, nobody is PMing me with purchase interest.  I'll give it a couple more days...

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #135 of 260
  Thanks guys for your nice comments.  However, nobody is PMing me with purchase interest.  I'll give it a couple more days...

It's not from lack of desire, it's from lack of funding. :frowning2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back