Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 260
Hey guys,
here are some more photos:

Initial setup panorama:

Various setups:

Burnley's corner...

Dan and Ether.

Check out the cool Stax Lambda on the right - the ones that look like they are from WW2 - everyone seemed to be surprised at how capable they were.

Thank you everyone for such a cool day, and especially Burnley for putting so much time in making this happen.

My favorites were Burnley's Hifiman HE-6 - I thought they had a more solid sound with any type of music than even the HE-1000 or Dan's super comfortable and awesome Ether. Plugged in the Woo WA6-SE they sounded very nice, but they really opened up with the Liquid Glass. Erik's HE-500 were surprisingly similar to the HE-6, hence they are now at the top of my wish list.

By the way, if anyone has found a tan notebook (Moleskine), I left it on one of the desks, would love to find a way to get it back.

Thanks again, and looking forward to next year!

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 260
Looks like a great time, sorry I missed the Stax Set-up. Also would have loved to have heard the Ether C and spent more time with the HEK!

Considering how the Gator/Vol Game ended its probably better I was 10,000 kilometers away:scream:.....

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 260
Another great meet gentlemen. I know that Burnley gets tired of us singing his praises, but I have offer my sincere thanks for his time and effort that he gives so freely to make this all happen. The professional name badges with our own head-fi icons just goes to show how much attention he gives to the event to make it is what it is. 

Speaking of Burnley, is there anyone more passionate about the Vols than this man? Now I love my Auburn Tiger and I have been known to get a little off the hook over an Auburn game, but I'm quite sure that I've never matched Burnley's complete intensity during a college football game. Only one thing went through my mind when the Vols missed that last second field goal...Burnley. I know it's rough brother, but hang in there!

Another be kudos and thank you to Dan Clark who made his second trip to the Nashville meet. Dan came a very long way and was dealing with a nasty infection with his hand, but he stepped up and made the trip to share his products and give us a chance to hear them. The closed Ether took me by surprise with it's ability to render an impressive sound stage and reproduce a wonderful tonality. It was wonderful to get to hear this headphone and I'll be sharing some detailed impressions in the Ether thread later. 

Lastly, it was great to see both old and new faces there. What a humble and gracious group of people. I was able to meet new people and put faces with names. I'll post a few pics soon...

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #19 of 260
wow, some great gear guys !! impressive
again so impressed with how our little get together has grown 

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #20 of 260
Pardon the brevity, guys-- I'm typing on my tablet until I get my computer back up and running (everything is plugged into my power conditioner, and I'm not unpacked yet), but I wanted to make a couple of quick notes:

First, I think it's safe to say this was our most successful meet yet. I'll have more to say later on, but I was just blown away by how many people showed up, and how much fun everyone appeared to have. If this is the future of our little get togethers, I think we're in great shape!

Second, to Titus and Skyline: I have your notebook and power supply, respectively. Holla and we'll figure out how to get them back to you. I can probably even meet you somewhere tomorrow, if that's helpful.

Third, someone left a headphone stand/banana hanger (not a euphemism) on the table in the foyer beside the automatic door. Lemme know who this belongs to and I'll get it to you!

Fourth... can I just say again how much FUN that was?? :atsmile:

Fifth, my apologies to anyone who might've been offended (or borderline assaulted) by my football-watching antics. Those weren't seizures, they were legitimate responses to the synapses in my brain killing themselves en masse after watching the Chernobyl-esque meltdown of common sense, reason, and coaching strategy by my beloved Vols. If any of my Tourettic outbursts engendered umbrage, I do apologize. We'll chalk up the idea of having a meet during the Florida game to a vast overestimation of my self control, and probably schedule it on a different day next time. *cough*.

Sixth, and I know this can't be said enough: THANK YOU to everyone who attended!!! This is what a true community should look like-- friendly people, great conversation, awesome gear, and true dialogue with the vendors and manufacturers that support out hobby (habit?). I know I'm not on Head-Fi that much these days, but honestly, I LOVE these meets, and this is why. You guys are awesome :wink:.

I'll have more to say later (remember, verbosity is kinda my thing), but I wanted to get this out there for now. Talk to you guys soon, and see you at the next meet!!!!

:beerchug:

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #21 of 260
A few highlights for me:

1. Getting to listen to the hd650 on a decent vinyl setup. It's been a long, long time since I listed to vinyl. Sounded pretty damn good. Thanks to the guy who brought it. I'm sorry but I can't recall your name.

2. The new Ether C. Just an outstanding headphone and the best closed hp that I've heard. 

3. Watching Burnley watch the game. 

4. Getting a good listen with the Liquid Carbon with multiple headphones. Even though the LC is a good amp after getting more time with it, I no longer regret canceling my pre-order. 

5. Even though I think the total number of people attending was the most yet, there were several periods during the day when there was a lull in the action. This gave me a good opportunity to really listen critically to several things I wanted to hear.

6. Watching Dan test the he1000 against the Ether and then doing it myself. And then talking with him after about the results. 

7. Whoever discovered that wonderful high powered fan, God bless you. 

8. Getting the better part of an hour with the lcd-3 the night before the meet allowed me to really dig into that headphone. Man, that a nice headphone. Too bad it's so heavy. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 260
  Ha ha! @jibzilla was the guy with Stax and the Internet issues with Tidal. I'm the guy who was trying to get way from the HiFiMan HE-1000. Man those were like crack on the Liquid Carbon 
biggrin.gif

Fantastic meeting you all! I'll still be in the area for a few more days. But it was a great way to spend a Saturday on my weekend, away from work. Loved the people! Loved the gear! Loved the setup in the back of the hotel - very convenient and private. It even got quiet from time-to-time, or was that the crack talking back to me 
blink.gif

Thanks to the sponsors for the pizza - I usually just eat nothing at the meets I've attended in DC. It was a welcome break. You guys are awesome, and I hope you have many more successful meets in future!

Trying to put avatars to faces so I know you are the one that sat there forever ; ). I don't blame ya they are pretty great. I have the Carbon on order so I wasn't wanting to hear it that much right now as I will have it soon (well maybe). I think Dan had it right as the Unicorn amp ; ) I hope you had as good a time as I did.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #23 of 260
Well I can't say how much of a good time I had at the meet. My wife didn't even give me the ( are you ready yet when she was done shopping ; )). Everyone there was just great . You all are just a bunch of exceptionally good people that I wouldn't mind meeting again. This community is just the best. You made a new guy feel welcome for the second time and I appreciate that.  Brunley you can't blame me for your purchase of the EtherC's they are that good : ) Seriously I had a great time and can't wait till spring. Thanks to Burnley again for such a good meet and a good time. Sorry about the Vols.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #24 of 260
@Theogenes You purchased the Ether C? Look forward to your thoughts, since you're one of those who seems to hear things as I do. I've also pre-ordered, but not sure if I am still in the first batch after a few of the cups had been to be rejected at the QC stage.

Given I'm awaiting my Ether C, I will devour any and all thoughts and impressions from those who have heard it.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #25 of 260
I thought the Ether C had incredible detail for a closed planar. That's what really set it apart from other headphones imo. Is it semi open though? I heard some people talking fairly easily when it wasn't playing music. Isolated more than an open headphone though.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #26 of 260
First all the thanks:  Burnley for all the time and effort to put this thing together.  Bigger and better than the Spring meet.  Glad to see your last post to know that you did not do anything rash in a Vols induced fit of depression.

Dan and Joe and all the vendors that were there or sent equipment.(also pizza)

A special thank you to Dr Cavalli for arranging for me to get a Liquid Carbon for the meet.  That was above and beyond.

This was my second meet and the first meet that I brought equipment to show.  I was perhaps a bit overprotective especially since the LC wasn't mine.  Consequently I didn't get to spend as much time listening as I would have liked.

I didn't get to listen to any Hifiman at the spring meet. This time I made sure to get that done.  I didn't listen to any of the varieties of the HE-400s there.  I demoed the HE-1000, HE-560, HE-6 and 2 HE-500s.  My impressions were definitely mixed.  The HEK is definitely superior to anything I've listened to but diminishing returns would not induce me to pay more than twice what I paid for my LCD-X.  The HE-6 was definitely to dark for my ears(sorry burnley) and I would have to spend way to much money to get an amp capable of pushing them.  The biggest disappointmen was the HE-560.  Now the owner after I expressed my disappointment told me they were brand new and only had a few hours on them.  To me their sound was dark and muddy, but to be fair I need to try again on a  older pair.  The HE-500s were very different.  One pair had been modded to darken the sound and even the owner admitted he might have gone to far.  The other pair were very nice.  They belonged to Skyline and on his Project Ember they sounded very good. I was impressed.

Other highlights:  HD-650:  Got to listened to Matt's pair and now I understand why these have such a big following, very nice.  ETHERC:  Very nice sound though I think I still prefer the original ETHER.  I may regret not pulling the trigger on those.  QP1R:  Very impressed with the robust build quality and great sound.  It drove the ETHERC with ease.  Cary amp:  I don't know what model the Cary was but I liked it.  I listened to a couple of cans back and forth between the Cary and the Woo WA-22 and found the Cary superior.

I missed a lot of stuff especially Dick's Gumby, but I had a great time and am looking forward to next time.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 260
  First all the thanks:  Burnley for all the time and effort to put this thing together.  Bigger and better than the Spring meet.  Glad to see your last post to know that you did not do anything rash in a Vols induced fit of depression.

Dan and Joe and all the vendors that were there or sent equipment.(also pizza)

A special thank you to Dr Cavalli for arranging for me to get a Liquid Carbon for the meet.  That was above and beyond.

This was my second meet and the first meet that I brought equipment to show.  I was perhaps a bit overprotective especially since the LC wasn't mine.  Consequently I didn't get to spend as much time listening as I would have liked.

I didn't get to listen to any Hifiman at the spring meet. This time I made sure to get that done.  I didn't listen to any of the varieties of the HE-400s there.  I demoed the HE-1000, HE-560, HE-6 and 2 HE-500s.  My impressions were definitely mixed.  The HEK is definitely superior to anything I've listened to but diminishing returns would not induce me to pay more than twice what I paid for my LCD-X.  The HE-6 was definitely to dark for my ears(sorry burnley) and I would have to spend way to much money to get an amp capable of pushing them.  The biggest disappointmen was the HE-560.  Now the owner after I expressed my disappointment told me they were brand new and only had a few hours on them.  To me their sound was dark and muddy, but to be fair I need to try again on a  older pair.  The HE-500s were very different.  One pair had been modded to darken the sound and even the owner admitted he might have gone to far.  The other pair were very nice.  They belonged to Skyline and on his Project Ember they sounded very good. I was impressed.

Other highlights:  HD-650:  Got to listened to Matt's pair and now I understand why these have such a big following, very nice.  ETHERC:  Very nice sound though I think I still prefer the original ETHER.  I may regret not pulling the trigger on those.  QP1R:  Very impressed with the robust build quality and great sound.  It drove the ETHERC with ease.  Cary amp:  I don't know what model the Cary was but I liked it.  I listened to a couple of cans back and forth between the Cary and the Woo WA-22 and found the Cary superior.

I missed a lot of stuff especially Dick's Gumby, but I had a great time and am looking forward to next time.

I've never heard anyone describe the HE-560 as dark or muddy.  Most people, if they don't like the HE-560, call them too bright or harsh in the highs.  In fact, I'm so surprised by this statement that I suspect you may have had a defective unit.   

What system do you listen to them with?

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 260
HE-6 and 560 dark? Hmmmn, that certainly sounds odd to me too.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 260

I've never heard anyone describe the HE-560 as dark or muddy.  Most people, if they don't like the HE-560, call them too bright or harsh in the highs.  In fact, I'm so surprised by this statement that I suspect you may have had a defective unit.   

What system do you listen to them with?

I listened to them on the LC and later on the Cary.  They were only a few hours old so that may be the problem.  The HE-6 was on Burnley's amp which I don't remember.  They seemed unbalanced, bass heavy.  It was unfamiliar material so that could have contributed to my impression.  You could be right, I wanted to like the HE-560 considering their rep for great sound and value, but these just did not sound right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back