Sep 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #61 of 369

Man.  I've got a ways to go, then.  
tongue.gif

Sorry, trade me your youth and I'll trade you my HP's 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #63 of 369
  Man.  I've got a ways to go, then.  
tongue.gif

Nah, just enroll them in Jesuit summer schools and start skipping them through the grades. They'll have their MBAs at age 13 and you'll be sippin' mohitos in your Sennheiser Orpheus... like a boss.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #64 of 369
OK Guy's, my right knee is winging it's way to Valhalla as we speak, and the Valarkie is supposed to bring 2ml's of Dilauded soon, very soon I hope!!! Unfortunately this thing hurts so bad, there are no pleasurable side affects to be found, presently :mask:!

Anybody have any thoughts on Classé Amps being paired up with HP's? Is there a calculator for an 75/150 watts into 8/4ohms into 34ohms?

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #65 of 369
OK Guy's, my right knee is winging it's way to Valhalla as we speak, and the Valarkie is supposed to bring 2ml's of Dilauded soon, very soon I hope!!! Unfortunately this thing hurts so bad, there are no pleasurable side affects to be found, presently :mask:!

Anybody have any thoughts on Classé Amps being paired up with HP's? Is there a calculator for an 75/150 watts into 8/4ohms into 34ohms?
the classe' would drive the he-6 im guessing

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #66 of 369

Man, I hope all this gets you finally set right on that bum knee!!

And I don't remember what phone you have, but @robrob on the forums here made an Android app for calculating not just what wattage will go into which amps, but also what resistor networks you can use to properly attenuate it. It's called "Headphone Calculator" by Rob Robinette in the Play Store if you're interested! (It's free
ph34r.gif
).

the classe' would drive the he-6 im guessing

Man, that was precisely my first thought on reading that, lol!

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #67 of 369
My HD650's arrived today and I love em! Thanks for helping me discover these awesome cans, Randy! :L3000:

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #68 of 369
My HD650's arrived today and I love em! Thanks for helping me discover these awesome cans, Randy!
L3000.gif

I've gotten as much enjoyment from the 650 over the years as anything that I've ever owned. They have been a daily driver for me for the past couple of years. Enjoy!!

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #69 of 369
@phillyd: Congrats, man!! They say a balanced silver cable on those babies is pure heaven... In case you needed an excuse to blow any more money!
evil_smiley.gif

@MattTCG: Glad to hear the adapter made it to you safe 'n sound! Apologies again for the inadvertent bogarting of your stuff...
redface.gif
. If you have any sense, you'll make those grilles out of socially maladjusted scorpions or something...

@Wildcatsare1: I got your voicemail man, sorry I haven't gotten back with you yet. I'm not ignoring you, I promise!!

Also, my Alpha Dogs should arrive tomorrow!! Booyahkah!!! Vurry essited...

Sent off the HifiMan stuff today. Picture one solitary tear rolling slowly down my mournful cheek. Did some more listening to the HE-560 vs the HE-6 on my setup, and decided that I do definitively like the HE-6 better, but I stand by my assertion that I think many (if not most) people will like the sound of the HE-560 better. Damned good headphone, that one!

Also, I've got to send the ZMF Vibros back off tomorrow, sadly, but Zach was kind enough to let me keep 'em through Friday to get a little more listening time. I've decided I like it best with all the bass ports open, and honestly, I'm really impressed by these... They're like my recollection of the V1, but a little less lush-sounding, and basically better in every way. Phillyd was right, it does kind of look like the pads are open at the bottom, but in my case at least, they aren't (thankfully). I'm listening to Jessy Lanza's "Keep Moving," and bass has a pleasant punch and tone without being overwhelming (like I found the bass to be with two ports plugged). They don't do anything wrong to my ears, do plenty right, and their sins are one of omission, not commission-- which is exactly as it should be IMO. I could easily live with these... Especially with the new guitar-esque "burst" finish:

Daaaang... I think Zach should start putting clear lacquered finishes on his, as he's really starting to get some grain patterns and finishes that are nice enough looking to want to really show off, and the clear coat (or whatever it is) really emphasizes that IMO.

*I don't need any more headphones, I don't need any more headphones, I don't need any more damn headphones...*

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #70 of 369
As of now, the HD650's sound more balanced than dark to my ears. I'm hoping they burn in and get considerably darker. The bass is more reserved and I don't get the sense of liveliness I got out of Randy's HD650's, even with the stock cable.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #71 of 369
My HD650's arrived today and I love em! Thanks for helping me discover these awesome cans, Randy!
L3000.gif

This meet was the perfect opportunity to pick out an HP.

THEOGENES, I'm calling you out, the only reason I bought the Ak 100ll was your post back to me prior to the meet.  I questioned whether I should get HP cables or the portable player and you felt the only logical course was to get the portable.  On two fronts this worked out, the Norne cables were 1/2 the cost of what I insanely considered, the player well it's working out.  So thank you!  

FYI:  I didn't realize that the portable player can also be used as a dedicated source, the USB in, can also be used as a USB out, it plays more like an optical out.   

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #72 of 369
As of now, the HD650's sound more balanced than dark to my ears. I'm hoping they burn in and get considerably darker. The bass is more reserved and I don't get the sense of liveliness I got out of Randy's HD650's, even with the stock cable.

The 650 will change a fair bit with with pad compression over the course of several weeks. People sometimes confuse this with driver burn in. The 650 also scales and changes with better gear. What are you using for amp/dac?

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #73 of 369
The 650 will change a fair bit with with pad compression over the course of several weeks. People sometimes confuse this with driver burn in. The 650 also scales and changes with better gear. What are you using for amp/dac?

HiFimeDIY Sabre SPDIF DAC (bettter DAC than I used at the meet) and the MG-Head OTL MK3 amp I had at the meet. Even with the stock cables, Randy's sounded considerably darker than what mine currently sound like.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #74 of 369
For me, when you have new pads they will sound the brightest. The longer the pads have to break in, the darker they will sound. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #75 of 369
For me, when you have new pads they will sound the brightest. The longer the pads have to break in, the darker they will sound. 

Thanks for the input! Hopefully that's the case. They sound fantastic for warm/dark music but anything bright at high volumes isn't ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back