Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 369
Seems like the natural direction to go.  Just wanting to be sure I'm going to hear a real improvement in sound.  DACs are something I really don't have a firm grasp on regarding their impact on sound.

It will be a very large improvement depending on what your amp is capable of. I started this journey with a MSII and its in a box in my basement somewhere still. :). I then used a dragonfly, quite a large improvement. Then bifrost, and now bifrost uber USB 2.0. I have rarely been more sure about something as I am that you will appreciate the improvement. My two cents. :wink:

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #32 of 369
  Great impressions, man!! And I'm pretty much with you on everything (with the possible exception of the modded 560s, which I really liked a lot). Just out of curiosity, were there any amps you didn't think the 400i paired well with?

And as far as source, you better believe we can help you spend your hard-earned dough
evil_smiley.gif
. Any specific features or budgetary requirements?

Something the 400i sounded bad on?  Nope, not really.  They even sounded fine on Joe's PanAm setup.  Had a nice moment there with Dondante by My Morning Jacket.

Unfortunately, I didn't get far beyond quick impressions, though.  Too much to hear, and too little time.  There is a part of me that wonders if finding the right amp would be money more wisely spent than focusing on the DAC.

As for budget, it would need to be less than $500.  I can't imagine spending more on a DAC than I did on my headphones.  Not to mention that it'll take me months to save up for it.  I really don't know where you guys get all the cash for this stuff.  
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #33 of 369
^^ I didn't want to repost everyone else, but Phillip I came close to selling my HD650, I just re-cabled them and realized those cables would also have to be resold.  I didn't want to sell them but your incredible enthusiasm and intelligence blew me away.  

Thanks Randy! :) It made more sense for me to get new ones with my discount. Got em for cheaper than most are available in good used condition.

You probably had my favorite gear in each category in the meet. Your ears must be similar to mine. I loved your Meier stack, your AK1000 and the HD650 too. Great gear!

^^ There is always some hp or gear that I regret not getting to listen to at a meet. The great thing, among others, is that at every meet I get to attend first hand experience often dispels some myth I've had in my mind about how some hp sounds. The first meet that I went to I was able to try the hd650 for the first time. I feel head over heals for it. Ironically, at the Nashville meet I finally got to spend some quality time with the hd600 and came home with it. 

I think that it would have been a blast to break for dinner and then come back for an evening session. Possibly enjoy an adult beverage or two with an evening finish to the meet. 

I regret not listening to the LCD-X at all, and I only gave the HE-6 a few seconds before getting distracted.

And yeah, I'm game! I'm thinking late Q1, early Q2, whaddy'all think?
Awesome, man!! It was good to meet you and cool having you down. Next time we'll have to see if we can find something to unseat the HD650! :evil:

Thanks for having me and my friends! And it's possible, but my wallet hopes not!

Hearing all of the fantastic headphones made me realize that the issues I had with the Momentum really were not acceptable. I returned them and am on the hunt for a portable. I'm considering the NAD HP50, ATH-M50x, Polk Buckle, Sennheiser Urbanite, and the UE-6000. Any suggestions?

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 369

You know, I'd curse you, but I've already been on the Norne site today and built a set of wicked Draug 2 cables and added the to my wishlist for reference later... On second thought, I'll curse ya anyway :wink:.

B,

You know I wouldn't have it any other way 
wink_face.gif
! You may want to speak to Trevor, I he believes the Vanquish is the best combination with the Alpha Dogs, which surprised me, thought the silver would be too hot, till I heard them with my Alpha Dogs, it is a killer match, and its $40.00 less expensive, that buys you a XLR to 1/4" adapter, or a Headthrone to use it with other phones.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #35 of 369
Thanks Randy!
smily_headphones1.gif
It made more sense for me to get new ones with my discount. Got em for cheaper than most are available in good used condition.

You probably had my favorite gear in each category in the meet. Your ears must be similar to mine. I loved your Meier stack, your AK1000 and the HD650 too. Great gear!
I regret not listening to the LCD-X at all, and I only gave the HE-6 a few seconds before getting distracted.
Thanks for having me and my friends! And it's possible, but my wallet hopes not!

Hearing all of the fantastic headphones made me realize that the issues I had with the Momentum really were not acceptable. I returned them and am on the hunt for a portable. I'm considering the NAD HP50, ATH-M50x, Polk Buckle, Sennheiser Urbanite, and the UE-6000. Any suggestions?

If you are not totally against iem's, I would suggest that you have a good long look at the Aurisonic Rockets. They were the shocker of the meet for me. $250

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #36 of 369
If you are not totally against iem's, I would suggest that you have a good long look at the Aurisonic Rockets. They were the shocker of the meet for me. $250

I listened to them and was completely unimpressed. I'd rather have something like the Logitech UE6000. Considerably better sound IMO and much cheaper.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #37 of 369
I listened to them and was completely unimpressed. I'd rather have something like the Logitech UE6000. Considerably better sound IMO and much cheaper.

I would look into the Beyerdynamic portables.

Either the DT1350 or the T51p.

Most people seem to prefer the T51...I think they're crazy :p

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #38 of 369
Hey All,

I'm sorry that I was unable to attend this past weekend. My son was with me and unfortunately he was pretty sick and it wouldn't have been a good idea to get him out.  I would however like to get together with some of you locals since I myself also now live in Nashville for a drink and maybe a bite to eat.

If anyone is interested just let me know and we can coordinate  a time and place to do so.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #39 of 369
To All, a wonderful time!!!!

I also was stricken with the talk too much, listen too little syndrome, but no complaints, I truly enjoyed meeting everybody and look forward to the next Meet!!!

This was my first Meet, and Theogenes, you have set the bar incredibly high, hope we can accept the challenge as a group to make every meet progressively better.

Listening; this was my first opportunity to step outside my stable and listen too some of the best phones available from Sennheiser, Audeze, other Hifiman's and some tremendous front ends.

First, as much as I like to think my 560's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, the HD800's, HE-6, various generations of Audeze Cans, and the surprising T1, remain the top game in town, at what they do best. The HD800's soundstage is too die for, clarity, insight into the musical event, just wish I had more time to listen to them, and on some tube gear, the the Meier Stack was one of my "big 4 surprises". B., the HE-6, on your set-up, was ethereal, sublime, and purely musical, while the modded 560 had a slight edge in body, the 6's had the extremes wired, cannot wait to hear them with the Grill Mod.

One of my other pleasant surprises was the HD700, yes it has a different presentation from the 800, but is a strong contender, great stage, bass, a much better headphone than my old 650's. The Skoll 2 Cabling really made them sing! 

I'll be honest, I walked into the Meet with a prejudice against Audeze, I thought they would be dark and syrupy like old Conrad Johnson Gear, I was wrong. Darker perspective, yes, syrupy, no, a different but beautiful take on musical presentation in contrast to the HD800/HE560's. My wallet of course hates this finding, I need to add an Audeze, preferably pre-fazor, to my lineup!!!

Gear, as mentioned, I loved the Meier Stack, very musical, and not just "for the price". Great soundstage, just the right hint of sweetness, great grip on the bass, reminded me a lot of my big Krell in the main rig, voiced very similarly. Jay, really enjoyed your BH1, especially in balanced operation, both of these amp alternatives worked magic with my 560's and Alpha Dogs. I hate that my drive to converse incessantly with my fellow HeadFi'ers (worth every second, really enjoyed meeting my Brothers in HiFi) and missed hearing Matt's Beyerdynamic, and Mojo/Gungnir Stack.Hopefully at the Spring Meeting. Fred, I also loved that amp of your, but I have forgotten the manufacturer and cannot find it in my notes.

Big THANK YOU! Theogenes, great meeting, great people, great job!!! Matt Poe, thank you for taking pity on the technically inept and installing my Uber Board, sounds great, smoother, improved tone and dynamics, you are the best!

Big 4 Surprises: The T1, a great headphone, my listening was too brief, but I really thought it gave the 800 a run for it's money. The much maligned HD700, the opinions against this little Bro are off the chart, I really liked this can and would enjoy hearing more.  The Audeze Cans, yes I had prejudged them, and as often is the case, I was wrong. Beautiful presentation of the musical event. The Meier Stack, great value, excellent sound.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #40 of 369
the hd700 was a big surprise to me too !
i am really regret not getting to hear the t1 ! i had it in my hand at one point, and got sidetracked, i was probably talking !!
also missed out on the meir gear, again, probably talking !
kevin, loved hearing the lyr 2, especially paired with the 560 ! i liked it so much, i have a lyr 1 coming in, couldn't resist the deal i got
that will satisfy my tube lust !
i can't wait until we do it again !

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #41 of 369
Jay,

Congrats Man, love my Lyr 2, just got in some Orange Globes and '75 Voskhod's (they are burning in presently to Daft Punk), we will have to create a tube exchange.

A big P.S.!!!!!!

Rumny's AK 100 ii, damn, that little bit sounded awesome with the Alpha Dogs, what a great combination for commuting, or alternative home listening, absolutely was amazed by this Baby, definitely on my gotta have list, Rumny, my wallet is very angry with you!!!! 
mad.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #42 of 369
  Jay,

Congrats Man, love my Lyr 2, just got in some Orange Globes and '75 Voskhod's (they are burning in presently to Daft Punk), we will have to create a tube exchange.

A big P.S.!!!!!!

Rumny's AK 100 ii, damn, that little bit sounded awesome with the Alpha Dogs, what a great combination for commuting, or alternative home listening, absolutely was amazed by this Baby, definitely on my gotta have list, Rumny, my wallet is very angry with you!!!! 
mad.gif

i'm looking for tubes as we speak !

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #44 of 369

i'm looking for tubes as we speak !

Jay, you may want to PM rb2013, he is the Russian Tube Man!!! I just picked up my '75 Voskhods from him at a great price.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #45 of 369

Try the Telefunkens, they're great!! 
wink.gif

Jay, you may want to PM rb2013, he is the Russian Tube Man!!! I just picked up my '75 Voskhods from him at a great price.

telefunkens ??? why didn't i think of that !!  
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telefunken-PCC88-7DJ8-Platinum-Graded-Matched-Pair-UPSCALE-AUDIO-READ-INFO/291236698232?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25223%26meid%3D84b72f325f0d40c6b4f705bd5294243c%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D10631%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D271609237194

i've bought several tubes from rb2013, great guy, and tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back