Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #76 of 369
Thanks for the input! Hopefully that's the case. They sound fantastic for warm/dark music but anything bright at high volumes isn't ideal.

I totally agree with Matt.  I'm into vintage HP's, and it is shocking how much of a difference a change in pad wear can make.

This is only for UT fans.  I get home from the meet and my daughter throws out "oh by the way," her and her boyfriend spent the previous night playing Grand Theft Auto with AJ Johnson and Devrin Young.  Go Vols!!!

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #77 of 369

I've gotten as much enjoyment from the 650 over the years as anything that I've ever owned. They have been a daily driver for me for the past couple of years. Enjoy!!

Matt, I can't believe you sold your 650s.

After the meet, I have to admit that I may look into trying to track down a loaner pair of 600s or 650s to listen to them for a couple of weeks and see how I feel about them long-term.  Hearing them for the first time was pretty eye opening.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #78 of 369
^^ I can't believe it either. Just mailed them off, and I may have shed a little tear. 
frown.gif
 The 600 and 650 are just waaaay to similar to keep both. It comes down to preference and whether you want better balance or a smoother signature. I just can't believe that they are not sitting on my stand anymore...it's creepy without them there. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #79 of 369
  ^^ I can't believe it either. Just mailed them off, and I may have shed a little tear. 
frown.gif
 The 600 and 650 are just waaaay to similar to keep both. It comes down to preference and whether you want better balance or a smoother signature. I just can't believe that they are not sitting on my stand anymore...it's creepy without them there. 

I had some time with the 650s.  Loved the smoothness and the relaxed presentation.  But, the bass was too much.

Didn't get much time with the 600s.  Does it retain the same level of smoothness to the sound?

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #80 of 369
The 600 subtracts the mid bass hump with a more balanced overall sound. The smooth Senn sound is still there but with better treble extension. 

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #81 of 369
  This meet was the perfect opportunity to pick out an HP.

THEOGENES, I'm calling you out, the only reason I bought the Ak 100ll was your post back to me prior to the meet.  I questioned whether I should get HP cables or the portable player and you felt the only logical course was to get the portable.  On two fronts this worked out, the Norne cables were 1/2 the cost of what I insanely considered, the player well it's working out.  So thank you!  

FYI:  I didn't realize that the portable player can also be used as a dedicated source, the USB in, can also be used as a USB out, it plays more like an optical out.   

Man, I'm trying to remember what I posted... Probably killed those braincells since then. (In my defense, it's not my fault that beer is so delicious.) Glad to hear you're still digging the Norne cables! I'm gonna pick up some myself here shortly, just haven't gotten around to reaching out to Trevor to get his take on exactly what I need. Having mini-XLR terminations at the headphone end and using adapters for everything else (like the thrice-damned SMC connectors) has been incredibly convenient, and I think I'm gonna have to snag some adapters for the Alpha Dogs now... They're pretty great cans IMO, and I'm curious to see how they'd respond to something a little nicer than stock.

Yeah, I'm through page 80-something in the big AK100/120 ii thread, and somebody mentioned being able to use it as a USB OTG DAC for compatible devices (like some Android devices), which means that you could use it with Spotify, JRMC Gizmo, or any number of other music sources... I'm telling you, I've had to fight the urge to get one of those suckers literally every day since the meet. I find myself vacillating a lot, and I've got my fiscal trigger finger on a 24-hour watch to try to ward off the vicious bouts of headfiism that threaten my savings each day... I should have never listened to that darned contraption.
rolleyes.gif

I totally agree with Matt.  I'm into vintage HP's, and it is shocking how much of a difference a change in pad wear can make.

This is only for UT fans.  I get home from the meet and my daughter throws out "oh by the way," her and her boyfriend spent the previous night playing Grand Theft Auto with AJ Johnson and Devrin Young.  Go Vols!!!

That... Is... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I really think very highly of a lot of the young men on that team, and AJ in particular has been a real pleasure to have in the O&W. I hated the loss today (my raw vocal cords and no-doubt terrified neighbors can attest to that), but I think in the big picture, our boys acquitted themselves quite well. The East is a total schizo show this year, so who knows-- we actually have a real shot to end up second or third in the East, which is much better than basically anyone would've thought coming into the season. But even if we don't, I'm okay-- as long as we beat the brakes off Florida. I wanna beat them by triple digits, sew salt into their fields, and draw moustaches on every picture of slimy Steve Spurrier on their entire campus. I want no bevisored photo unscathed...

Also, just for bonus points: the difference between our players and Florida's? Our guys play Grand Theft Auto, theirs do the hands-on field research on the game's themes...
very_evil_smiley.gif

The 600 subtracts the mid bass hump with a more balanced overall sound. The smooth Senn sound is still there but with better treble extension. 

Really do hate I missed hearing these... Knowing what I know now, the HD600 sounds like it would've been a much better fit for me than the HD650. Although at each step along the way, I've found myself gravitating towards Beyer's competing can over the Senns. Guess I just have ears like Beyer guys!

Man, these Alpha Dogs really are impressive... Really enjoying them thus far, especially given that they isolate, and I don't have a reduction in detail retrieval, etc when the HVAC kicks on and starts pumping white noise into my office.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #82 of 369
poor, poor steve !

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #83 of 369
Sep 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #85 of 369
Rumay/Randy,

I actually hope Tennessee beats the Gators this time, though not lopsided, just enough to get him to move to coach, "Little Sisters of Mercy's" Football Program. Then the Gators can get their Mojo back, and dominate for another couple of decades!!!
devil_face.gif

Did you get your Draug 2 extension? Jay, I think Steve will be OK, I am touched by your concern
ksc75smile.gif

First full day Home, almost starting to feel Human again, except I cannot get my computer rig too work, my ASUS is not recognizing the Bifrost/Wyrd, unplugged, different USB Ports, rebooted, too no avail!!! Now downloading the drivers, to reload them, arrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #86 of 369
  Rumay/Randy,

I actually hope Tennessee beats the Gators this time, though not lopsided, just enough to get him to move to coach, "Little Sisters of Mercy's" Football Program. Then the Gators can get their Mojo back, and dominate for another couple of decades!!!
devil_face.gif

Did you get your Draug 2 extension? Jay, I think Steve will be OK, I am touched by your concern
ksc75smile.gif

First full day Home, almost starting to feel Human again, except I cannot get my computer rig too work, my ASUS is not recognizing the Bifrost/Wyrd, unplugged, different USB Ports, rebooted, too no avail!!! Now downloading the drivers, to reload them, arrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

If Muschamp has another losing season, he may get the chance @ the "Little Sisters"

I'm still waiting on the Norne extension/adaptor's, they could not arrive fast enough, 
frown.gif
 So now I'm just waiting on audio gear via mail.

Again I can't thank you enough for letting me try out the Draug 2 @ the meet 
beyersmile.png

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #87 of 369
For all here on the East Coast who may have missed it my Boys from ARIZONA but a beat down on the #2 Oregon Ducks last night. Watching a fellow Wildcat Linebacker, Teddy Bruschi, sing the Arizona Fight song on Sportscenter this morning was memorable, da :bomb:!

USC Trojans next Baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #88 of 369
For all here on the East Coast who may have missed it my Boys from ARIZONA but a beat down on the #2 Oregon Ducks last night. Watching a fellow Wildcat Linebacker, Teddy Bruschi, sing the Arizona Fight song on Sportscenter this morning was memorable, da :bomb:!

USC Trojans next Baby!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats , sir !!

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #90 of 369
In unrelated news, I'm leaning towards replacing my MSII+Asgard combo for the Wyrd+Modi+Vali triple stack.

Purely out of curiosity, of course.  :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back