Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #301 of 369
Yesterday, when I mentioned to a customer that I collect vintage stereo equipment he informed me that he had some "stuff" in the basement that I was welcome to as his wife had declared them "unfit" for the living room area. I love it when the wife does that!! We scampered downstairs to find the treasures. While I was hoping to score some vintage 70's steel, it didn't turn out that way. What I did score was some very nice 1999 Boston Acoustic and Yamaha goodies.

The Boston floorstanders are just over five feet tall and each have a 10" sub built in. I carefully maneuvered one to my shoulder to carry it fireman style but quickly understood that this was more of a two man job. Each speaker weighs 100 pounds. There were some other goodies but the speakers were the main score. The reason for sharing this story is two-fold. 

First, after bringing them home yesterday I now need to sleep on someone's couch for a few days until the little woman has a chance to "warm up" to them. 

Second, I plan to rent a trailer and host a Friday night bonfire at the meet where these speakers will subsequently be thrown on the fire at the end of the night. 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #302 of 369
  To sum up every over the ear/on the ear HP I can recall from the last meet:

AKG K240 Sextett LP version
AKG 701
Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD2.2
Audeze LCD 2
Beyer Dynamic T1
Beyer Dynamic T5
Beyer Dynamic DT660
Denon 7000
Denon 6000
Fostex T10
Fostex TH900
Grado PS1000
Grado GS1000
Grado PS500
Grado 
HiFiMan HE-6
HE 560 (modded and stock)
HE 500
HE 400
HE 400i
HE 300
Sennheiser HD800
HD700
HD650
HD600 (missed those)
HD595
Ultrasone HFI-700 version

If I missed any HP chime in and please forgive me 
otherwise any HP not listed needs to be at the next meet 

ATH, Stax, HE1000, OPPO HP's, Grado RS1 or 2 or 325/225 or Alessandro
Orpheus, Jade, MDR-R10, Bose, Beats, 

Killer memory on your part. Meanwhile, I have no idea what I had for lunch yesterday :p.

On board with most of your wish list there (heard the ATH-3000ANV at a meet one time and thought they were delightful, although obviously colored), but don't know that I have any interest in listening to more Bose or especially Beats. I have a set of Bose headphones I can bring, but I think I only ever plugged them in to make sure they worked. They don't sound awful, there's just vastly better for the same money. Beats/Sol Republic/Skullcandy et al, on the other hand, have been thoroughly abysmal in my experience. Tyll says the new Beats are better, but I have a moral issue with a company that was perfectly happy delivering demonstrably atrocious products at rapacious price points for years before even attempting to actually deliver on what they promised the entire time-- good sound. But hey, people always have questions about 'em, so you're right to mention the utility of having them there!

If the schedule works out for me to make it out I'll be bringing:
Akg k7xx
beyerdynamic dt-770 250ohm
Beyerdynamic dt-770 80ohm (if I can recable in time)
Fostex T50rp with mods via Diy mayflower kit

Vintage:
Concept CE-H orthodynamics
Technics EAH-820

How do you do it,everyone setup a listening station or what?

Hey, another Beyerdynamics guy! I think we'll get along just fine :wink:

Take a look at the pictures from the first few pages of this thread-- they'll give you a better visual than I can describe. But basically, yeah, people just stake out some space on a table, set up their stuff, and others come around and listen to it. People will sometimes take gear from one setup and plug it into another (with the permission of the owner, of course) to check on different combinations. It's pretty awesome, if you've never been to one.

May I ask what part of Tennessee you're from?

Yesterday, when I mentioned to a customer that I collect vintage stereo equipment he informed me that he had some "stuff" in the basement that I was welcome to as his wife had declared them "unfit" for the living room area. I love it when the wife does that!! We scampered downstairs to find the treasures. While I was hoping to score some vintage 70's steel, it didn't turn out that way. What I did score was some very nice 1999 Boston Acoustic and Yamaha goodies.

The Boston floorstanders are just over five feet tall and each have a 10" sub built in. I carefully maneuvered one to my shoulder to carry it fireman style but quickly understood that this was more of a two man job. Each speaker weighs 100 pounds. There were some other goodies but the speakers were the main score. The reason for sharing this story is two-fold. 

First, after bringing them home yesterday I now need to sleep on someone's couch for a few days until the little woman has a chance to "warm up" to them. 

Second, I plan to rent a trailer and host a Friday night bonfire at the meet where these speakers will subsequently be thrown on the fire at the end of the night. 
wink.gif

Ha! I can imagine that after all the headphones, amps, DACs, etc, lugging home a set of full-sized speakers could be the last straw :p. I realize my couch is waaaay farther from you than others, but it's always open to ya!

As for the bonfire... Don't know what I think about burning functioning gear (Beats et al excepted-- see previous rant), but I'm always down for a bonfire during the cold months. Sounds like I'll need to bring along some 'apple pie'!
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #303 of 369

wink.gif

LMAO!!

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #304 of 369

Oteil and I were talking about this over a couple of pints the other day, and (although I think we were in the minority at the last meet), we both decided we actually preferred his OG GS1K (non -i, non -e) to the GS1Ke. Don't know how it compares to the GS1Ki though, as I don't think I've heard one yet.

Also, I'm going to be scoping out potential venues tomorrow, and with any luck, we'll have our location locked up by Monday! As soon as I get everything worked out, I'll get another official thread going.

Gonna be another awesome meet, guys!!! Looking forward to it!!

yeah, some folks like the more aggressive sound of the non "e" gs's  , i could still live with a non-e

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #305 of 369

Second, I plan to rent a trailer and host a Friday night bonfire at the meet where these speakers will subsequently be thrown on the fire at the end of the night. :wink:  

Funny, one Wife's trash, well....turns out to be another wife's trash :scream:!

That's why I moved to headphones, I am not "allowed" to listen to my big system (relegated to a cold, lonely part of the house) if any of my Girls are home.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #306 of 369

Hey, another Beyerdynamics guy! I think we'll get along just fine :wink:

Take a look at the pictures from the first few pages of this thread-- they'll give you a better visual than I can describe. But basically, yeah, people just stake out some space on a table, set up their stuff, and others come around and listen to it. People will sometimes take gear from one setup and plug it into another (with the permission of the owner, of course) to check on different combinations. It's pretty awesome, if you've never been to one.

May I ask what part of Tennessee you're from?

I'm still a bit early in my explorations to find out what my tastes really are. So far, I have very much enjoyed the build quality, comfort and overall sound of the Beyers.

Can't wait - what you described is what I imagined was going on in the photos.

I'm in Columbia - 50min south of Franklin.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #307 of 369
  I'm still a bit early in my explorations to find out what my tastes really are. So far, I have very much enjoyed the build quality, comfort and overall sound of the Beyers.

A short drive for you no excuse not to be there, I'm 2 1/2 hours away.

When posting all the HP's I could recall at the last meet, I left out the Mad Dogs, which are just incredibly great HP's for the price.

Matt I feel for you Boston Acoustics made some great speakers and100lbs is a lot of speaker, damn.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #308 of 369
  yeah, some folks like the more aggressive sound of the non "e" gs's  , i could still live with a non-e

I could see someone liking the e-series more, especially given that one of the things I like about Grados is the aggressive sound and texturing. And I could probably live with a GS1Ke, I just prefer the OG version. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

Funny, one Wife's trash, well....turns out to be another wife's trash :scream:!

This... made me laugh. And also feel thankful I've dodged the marriage bullet a few times
evil_smiley.gif

Very cool! Hope you can make it!! And if you like Beyers, check out the T51i/p portables... I just think they're fabulous for the money. Great portable cans, and very attractive too IMO.

A short drive for you no excuse not to be there, I'm 2 1/2 hours away.

When posting all the HP's I could recall at the last meet, I left out the Mad Dogs, which are just incredibly great HP's for the price.

Matt I feel for you Boston Acoustics made some great speakers and100lbs is a lot of speaker, damn.

Agreed on the Mad Dogs-- after hearing them on Jay's Wadia and Bryston amp, I had to pick up a set myself. Great comfort, great isolation, and great sound-- a helluva strong all-arounder. I could see somebody easily picking that out as the sweet spot in the diminishing returns curve and being very happy (assuming they have an appropriate amp). Which does, of course, make me very curious about the Prime.... Hmmm....

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #309 of 369
Looked at several venues yesterday, and with any luck, we'll have our location picked out by tomorrow night! (My sister is trying to work some magic on a couple of wild-hair ideas that might or might not pan out, but if it looks highly probable that one or more will work out, I might take a few extra days sorting that out to make it happen. But at the moment, it's a toss up.)

Aaaaaand I'll have the T1 on Wednesday. BOOM!!

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #310 of 369
  Looked at several venues yesterday, and with any luck, we'll have our location picked out by tomorrow night! (My sister is trying to work some magic on a couple of wild-hair ideas that might or might not pan out, but if it looks highly probable that one or more will work out, I might take a few extra days sorting that out to make it happen. But at the moment, it's a toss up.)

Aaaaaand I'll have the T1 on Wednesday. BOOM!!

it's a pretty fair headphone   
rolleyes.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #311 of 369
Jan 26, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #312 of 369
And the Grand Prize Winner of the coveted Music City Meet #3 Venue is going to be....

...postponed. Arrrrghhh.... Still have a couple of irons in the fire, and given the potential upside of each one, I'm waiting to decide until I hear back on at least two of them. Hopefully by the end of the week.

[Exasperated expletives here.]

On the upside: I'll have my grubby paws on those T1s on Wednesday (thanks Rumay!!!) So there's that to look forward to, at least.

Also, my mom is snagging a WA7 from the Massdrop sale, and plans on bringing it along with her Olive One media player, so we should have even more interesting gear around!

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #313 of 369
I'll be able to bring and source all of my gear this coming meet.

I'll have:
Lenovo Y40>Foobar2000>Wasapi>Digital output>HiFimeDIY Sabre SPDIF DAC>Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL MK3
and...
Oneplus One>Poweramp>iBasso D-Zero>Logitech UE6000

And I'll have my full music library (except of course my vinyl)

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #314 of 369
  And the Grand Prize Winner of the coveted Music City Meet #3 Venue is going to be....

...postponed. Arrrrghhh.... Still have a couple of irons in the fire, and given the potential upside of each one, I'm waiting to decide until I hear back on at least two of them. Hopefully by the end of the week.

On the upside: I'll have my grubby paws on those T1s on Wednesday (thanks Rumay!!!) So there's that to look forward to, at least.

Also, my mom is snagging a WA7 from the Massdrop sale, and plans on bringing it along with her Olive One media player, so we should have even more interesting gear around!

Hey dude all is OK.  Don't stress out, instead dive into the music.  Y'know your favorite tunes and phones, a little mood light and a couple toddies.  The venue will come...

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #315 of 369

I think we should go with Vol. 3 for the event naming myself 
cool.gif

Cool news on the WA7.  I think that officially wins you the "cool mom" award.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back