Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #271 of 369
  Speaking of having fun with vinyl...those Led Zeppelin remasters are VERY well done.  This is how I spent a large part of my day off today.

Sorry for the poor quality, but maybe this will help convince Theo to get back in the vinyl game.  
evil_smiley.gif

Also featured in the video are my pet parrot, Mango, on vocals (background screaming), and my two dogs on percussion (nails clacking on the hardwood floor).

And yes...speaker stands are very high on the priority list.  

http://youtu.be/T2EN-Kw46i8

Love the video, the pro-ject gear sounds so nice, Zep lV "Highway To Heaven" remaster 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #273 of 369
So how can we get a pair of the HE1000 to show up??  The latest flagship, or just a fad??

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #274 of 369
  So how can we get a pair of the HE1000 to show up??  The latest flagship, or just a fad??

that would be pretty damn cool !

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #275 of 369
   If you're not picky, it can be done in an hour or two by using default settings.

If you ARE picky, then it can take a very very long time.  

Audacity is good for the initial rip, and I fell in love with this software for noise and click reduction (http://www.clickrepair.net/)

But, my first rip took app. 3 hours and I know I didn't even scratch the surface of what's possible.  And, when the free trial expired, I couldn't quite bring myself to shell out $150 or whatever it costs to buy the software.  For me, vinyl is all about relaxing and listening.  The ripping aspect of it made it too stressful and sucked some of the fun out of it for me.

*Looks around at audio gear, books, and CDs covering essentially every usable inch of space in apartment*

Nah, sounds like that would only be a problem if I was obsessive or something.

*Goes back to ensuring all books on the nearest shelf are lined up and in descending order by size*

Hey All,

Just spoke to Trevor at Norne and we will be demoing at the upcoming Meet and he asked if you all had any requests for sample cables. He has a new high volume OCC Silver and Cable Litz for Audeze Cans and off course the new Solv Line. Please make your requests soon, plus I will have discount coupons like last year! 
beerchug.gif

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! Those HD800 cables were one of the biggest hits of the last meet, so I'm VERY glad to hear he'll be sending us some goodies to try out and supporting us yet again!! And coincidentally, I find myself needing a few more sets of adapters for my existing cables... (*strokes chin thoughtfully*).

Speaking of having fun with vinyl...those Led Zeppelin remasters are VERY well done.  This is how I spent a large part of my day off today.

Sorry for the poor quality, but maybe this will help convince Theo to get back in the vinyl game.  
evil_smiley.gif

Also featured in the video are my pet parrot, Mango, on vocals (background screaming), and my two dogs on percussion (nails clacking on the hardwood floor).

And yes...speaker stands are very high on the priority list.  

http://youtu.be/T2EN-Kw46i8

Man... I'm probably going to have to snag those now. That sounds GREAT!! (Of course, I'm a raving ZepHead from way back when... The first box set I ever got was for Christmas from my grandparents, and it was the Led Zep discography in the gray box, and I absolutely wore it OUT).

I dig your setup too-- I like that stand you have everything on. Is it just a sharp-looking television stand that you've appropriated for your stereo?

Only thing I'm unclear about is how you have shiny black materials suspiciously free of dust... I dust regularly, and even the matte black stuff I have seems to draw dust at an unbelievable rate just to drive me nuts. Whatever dark sorcery you have to keep everything looking so clean-- I want it. Divulge your secrets to me!!

Theogenes, I'm counting down the days to the 2015 meet!
gs1000.gif

Glad you'll be able to make it to this one!!

Guys, this is my mom, who is also an audiophile... and just generally awesome. Fun Fact: the badass (to me) turntable we talked about that I have? A gift from her. (She has the same one-- a Rega P3-24-- but hers sees more usage, because she's less abysmally lazy than I am). She's also currently in possession of my LCD-2.1, which she's running out of an Olive One, and which sounds quite exceptionally good. In general, she's the source of pretty much everything great in the world.

Yep, total momma's boy here!
biggrin.gif

I was actually wondering the same thing. I made a list of potential vendors to reach out to and possible points of contact for them (for several I only have links to their web forms, which is depressing), and for HFM I have two contacts courtesy of Skyline. I'm not certain who we'll be inviting (nor who will accept), but I can guarantee that I'll reach out to these guys. The HE-6 is still my favorite sounding headphone that I've heard (with the possible exception of the SR-009, but I'm not even certain about that), and if they have something that might be able to supercede it, well... Consider me highly interested :wink:.

Received another two bids for locations for the meet yesterday and today! Going to make a list of all the places (without exorbitantly high F&B requirements) and hit them up over the weekend, so we should (with any luck) have a venue by this time next week!!

Once we have a venue reserved, I'll create another thread for it, and start reaching out to vendors... and it'll officially be on.
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #276 of 369

Man... I'm probably going to have to snag those now. That sounds GREAT!! (Of course, I'm a raving ZepHead from way back when... The first box set I ever got was for Christmas from my grandparents, and it was the Led Zep discography in the gray box, and I absolutely wore it OUT).

I dig your setup too-- I like that stand you have everything on. Is it just a sharp-looking television stand that you've appropriated for your stereo?

Only thing I'm unclear about is how you have shiny black materials suspiciously free of dust... I dust regularly, and even the matte black stuff I have seems to draw dust at an unbelievable rate just to drive me nuts. Whatever dark sorcery you have to keep everything looking so clean-- I want it. Divulge your secrets to me!!

It's a Bell'O stand.  The TV is wall-mounted right above this.  Pretty well made stuff.  http://www.bello.com/

And yeah...confession.   I was blasting the music while...dusting.  So, there you go.  The dark glass on top attracts dust like a magnet, but I try to stay on top of it.

I really should use the dust cover on the turntable, but it just looks too sexy without it.   
tongue_smile.gif

It really just takes a quick 30 second wipe down once a week and you're good to go.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #277 of 369
^Theogenes, just let me know the converters you are looking for, Trevor said to let him know what Ya'll want him too send.

Is anybody bringing a FideloX2?

Wish List: HE1000, Audeze El8, LCD3 (check), PM-3, and a PS1000e:yum:!

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #278 of 369
  It's a Bell'O stand.  The TV is wall-mounted right above this.  Pretty well made stuff.  http://www.bello.com/

And yeah...confession.   I was blasting the music while...dusting.  So, there you go.  The dark glass on top attracts dust like a magnet, but I try to stay on top of it.

I really should use the dust cover on the turntable, but it just looks too sexy without it.   
tongue_smile.gif

It really just takes a quick 30 second wipe down once a week and you're good to go.

Bwahahaha!! I knew it-- we domesticated types can tell our own
biggrin.gif

And actually, I had forgotten, but I looked at a bunch of Bell'O stands a few years ago and couldn't find the size I needed and forgot all about them. Yours is attractive enough to remind me though... If the whole eventually-moving-to-Nashville thing ever plays out, that might have to be part of the move!!

Side note: if you're gonna be blasting Zep while cleaning, there's something about Physical Graffiti that I just think is perfect. And it's not just because it has my all-time favorite song, either-- that album is rather astonishingly underrated IMO.

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #280 of 369
^Theogenes, just let me know the converters you are looking for, Trevor said to let him know what Ya'll want him too send.

Is anybody bringing a FideloX2?

Wish List: HE1000, Audeze El8, LCD3 (check), PM-3, and a PS1000e:yum:!

I have the x2 and hope to have the EL-8 also. I may need Jay to buy something from me before I can afford the later. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #281 of 369

I have the x2 and hope to have the EL-8 also. I may need Jay to buy something from me before I can afford the later. 

hey, i did want to buy something and you didn't want to, and i got something else, so the time has passed ! (for now anyway 
wink.gif
)

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #282 of 369

Thanks Matt, your the Man! Look forward to listening to both! How does the X2 compare to the HiFimans you had?

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #283 of 369
Thanks Matt, your the Man! Look forward to listening to both! How does the X2 compare to the HiFimans you had?

See the last bullet point in bold. 

x2:

*out of the box the x2 has a mild "u" shaped frequency with punched up bass and treble. This is alleviated about 90% after about 150 hours of burn in where the signature becomes mostly balanced 

*amps incredibly easy with any gear, but tube amps will make the x2 overly warm IMO. Others report different results

*the sub bass tightens up after the burn and sounds like a pair of expensive subwoofers in a well treated room...never too boomy or loose. The bass also responds well to the recording in a linear fashion, giving you more when it recording calls for it and less when it doesn't 

*the mids are good and have decent tone if not somewhat grainy especially when compared to the hd650

*treble has good extension but is not harsh or strident once burned in

*much better than average sound stage

*wonderfully comfortable and ergonomic memory foam ear pads

*build quality is tank-like but with a dash of sophistication...nice metal construction with leather appointments. The headband is large and garish looking

*I'd compare the x2 to another hp not mentioned so far, the he560. You might consider them a dynamic driver version of the he560. While the x2 does not equal the 560 it certainly gets you in the neighborhood and for a lot less money

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #284 of 369
Well gents, thanks to a vastly more-than-generous offer from RUMAY, I'll be joining my esteemed colleague Mr. Willin' in owning a set of Beyerdynamic T1s after the meet!!!! Woo-HOOOO!!! There's a sound signature out there for everybody, and for me, the T1 might just be perfect. I literally got goosebumps while listening to them at the last meet-- twice. Whoever does the sound engineering for Beyerdynamic must have cauliflower ears and love metal music, because they just do it for me. Man, you guys thought I was all worked up into a nerd frenzy before....

atsmile.gif

And that's awesome about the EL-8, Matt!! You'll be getting the open version, I assume? Really going to be interesting to see how those fare... Given how well the HE-560 trickled down exceptionally good sound to a more reasonable price point (even if I do still stubbornly prefer my HE-6), it'll be fun to see if Audez'e can pull the same trick here. (Although personally, I'm more interested in the closed variant, as they're more useful for me most of the time).

You guys know what we need? We need to get some Stax setups in here... We've got dynamics and planars pretty much nailed IMO. I plan on inviting Brent from Chattanooga to come, and hopefully he'll be interested and willing to bring his Stax IEMs (cool guy, lot of good experience with ludicrously high-end stuff), and I'm looking at reaching out to the Stax distributor in the US to see if they'd be willing to send us some demo earspeakers and energizers to try out. Anybody have a good contact there (or anywhere else that has Stax demos)?

Beyerdynamic T1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #285 of 369
Hey guys! How've you been?

Thought I'd update you all on my audio.

Since the meet, I've gotten new headphones, new portables, and new speakers.

I was running a pair of Polk Tsx220B bookshelf speakers and a Polk DSW440wi from a Denon AVR-S500BT. I picked up a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 towers (designed by Andrew Jones of T.A.D). They are an awesome upgrade over the bookshelves. I absolutely love them. I sold my HD650's (which were weirdly neutral) a while back, and since bought a pair of HD595's to replace them. I also bought some Logitech UE6000's about 2 weeks ago, and I absolutely love them. In active mode, they're a clear upgrade over my Image One's for a change.

Since I moved my main speaker setup to my home theater, I got some Promedia 2.1 speakers from a friend I since replaced the satellites with some Polk T15 bookshelf speakers, which were a fantastic upgrade.

Here are some pics (sorry for the horrible quality):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back