Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #316 of 369
I'll be able to bring and source all of my gear this coming meet.

I'll have:
Lenovo Y40>Foobar2000>Wasapi>Digital output>HiFimeDIY Sabre SPDIF DAC>Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL MK3
and...
Oneplus One>Poweramp>iBasso D-Zero>Logitech UE6000

And I'll have my full music library (except of course my vinyl)

Awesome, man!! I've actually been really interested in hearing the HiFime DAC, so that'll be cool too. Are your buddies coming this time?

Hey dude all is OK.  Don't stress out, instead dive into the music.  Y'know your favorite tunes and phones, a little mood light and a couple toddies.  The venue will come...

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Yeah, I know. Jessy Lanza and I were just sharing a brief unwinding session a few minutes ago. I just dislike missing deadlines quite a bit, and there are a number of other things (starting the new thread, reaching out to vendors, figuring out in-room logistics depending on location) that can't really be done until the venue is decided. But it's cool-- this is why you start planning an April meet in January :wink:.

Given that this looks like this might turn into a regular biannual event, I'd like to start zeroing in on someplace that can be the default location going forward. If it ends up being the Best Western again, hey, so be it-- as long as they don't strip all the #$% wallpaper from the walls without telling me next time. But there are a couple of pretty killer options that at least might pan out, but I just don't have the info or answers back from people to know yet. We'll see.

Of course, the obvious option is just to win the lottery, buy everything awesome in the world, and invite you guys over to my embarrassingly opulent estate all the time. Probably oughtta just go with that. :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #317 of 369
I missed the last meet, it sounded Great, but if you can zero in on a venue in Smyrna or the Boro those may be better than the Franklin area.  Seems like Franklin is more expensive.  Ya know, the Williamson county upcharge.  Let me know if I can help (I live at I-24 exit 66).

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #318 of 369
  I think we should go with Vol. 3 for the event naming myself 
cool.gif

Cool news on the WA7.  I think that officially wins you the "cool mom" award.

I could go for that... Oughtta do Roman numerals though. Or do a completely unrelated language for no apparent reason. Like so:

Music City Meet Volume/Edition/Version/Take/Incarnation 3:

Kazakh:
басылым үш

Bengali:
সংস্করণ তিন

Esperanto:
eldono tri

Swahili:
toleo tatu

Or, of course, Yiddish:
אַדישאַן דרייַ

Randomness for randomness' sake. That should probably go on my tombstone.

Also, yeah, it's pretty awesome that she's snagging one. She also got a set of Aurisonics ASG-2 (with 2.5 bass drivers) from a guy in the F/S forum this week, so she's on quite the buying spree. (I realize that this is the ultimate black-pot/black-kettle situation, I'm just sayin'.) And yeah, she's pretty much the greatest. She actually heard the WA7 at the very first meet she or I ever went to in Atlanta a couple of years ago. After we left, we were talking about the stuff we liked, and she mentioned that she would own the WA7 some day. I came close to picking one up for her a couple of times, but there was always something else that seemed like it might be more useful to her (Olive One, spa day, etc), so my sister and I never ended up pulling the trigger. She tends to get her gear, keep it, listen to it a lot, and actually appreciate it without all the audiophile angst about the latest uber-doodad though, so I'm sure this will be perfect for her.

And honestly, I'm excited to hear it again myself. I rather smugly disregarded it at the Atlanta meet as being overly lush and romanticized-- but I only listened to it on the HD650, which I now know is just not at all to my tastes. Mom listened to it on a set of DT880 600 Ohms and my T5p (I think), and was highly impressed. I'm not generally a tube guy, but my curiosity is most definitely piqued. Plus, it opens up the possibility of a tube upgrade as a mother's day present or something!! (Mom, don't read the previous sentence).

tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #319 of 369
  I missed the last meet, it sounded Great, but if you can zero in on a venue in Smyrna or the Boro those may be better than the Franklin area.  Seems like Franklin is more expensive.  Ya know, the Williamson county upcharge.  Let me know if I can help (I live at I-24 exit 66).

Thanks man. We've already got some gears in motion for this one, but I might get your take on a few places for the next meet! (Skyline has been kind enough to help me out with the last two).

And hey, nobody can make all the meets. It'll just be good to have you at this one
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #320 of 369
  And the Grand Prize Winner of the coveted Music City Meet #3 Venue is going to be....

...postponed. Arrrrghhh.... Still have a couple of irons in the fire, and given the potential upside of each one, I'm waiting to decide until I hear back on at least two of them. Hopefully by the end of the week.

[Exasperated expletives here.]

On the upside: I'll have my grubby paws on those T1s on Wednesday (thanks Rumay!!!) So there's that to look forward to, at least.

Also, my mom is snagging a WA7 from the Massdrop sale, and plans on bringing it along with her Olive One media player, so we should have even more interesting gear around!

damn, great price, i almost hit the join button!

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #321 of 369

I could go for that... Oughtta do Roman numerals though. Or do a completely unrelated language for no apparent reason. Like so:

Kazakh:
басылым үш

Bengali:
সংস্করণ তিন

Esperanto:
eldono tri

Swahili:
toleo tatu

Or, of course, Yiddish:
אַדישאַן דרייַ

Also, yeah, it's pretty awesome that she's snagging one. She also got a set of Aurisonics ASG-2 (with 2.5 bass drivers) from a guy in the F/S forum this week, so she's on quite the buying spree. (I realize that this is the ultimate black-pot/black-kettle situation, I'm just sayin'.) And yeah, she's pretty much the greatest. She actually heard the WA7 at the very first meet she or I ever went to in Atlanta a couple of years ago. After we left, we were talking about the stuff we liked, and she mentioned that she would own the WA7 some day. I came close to picking one up for her a couple of times, but there was always something else that seemed like it might be more useful to her (Olive One, spa day, etc), so my sister and I never ended up pulling the trigger. She tends to get her gear, keep it, listen to it a lot, and actually appreciate it without all the audiophile angst about the latest uber-doodad though, so I'm sure this will be perfect for her.

And honestly, I'm excited to hear it again myself. I rather smugly disregarded it at the Atlanta meet as being overly lush and romanticized-- but I only listened to it on the HD650, which I now know is just not at all to my tastes. Mom listened to it on a set of DT880 600 Ohms and my T5p (I think), and was highly impressed. I'm not generally a tube guy, but my curiosity is most definitely piqued. Plus, it opens up the possibility of a tube upgrade as a mother's day present or something!! (Mom, don't read the previous sentence).

tongue.gif

The DT880 with tubes is a match made in heaven.  No wonder she liked it.

I'd go with the Bengali...being a Bengals fan and all.  Be sure to make the logo orange and black.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #323 of 369
hey matt, some mullard drivers helped the top end on the LD, so i may keep it around for a bit to play with it

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #325 of 369
Awesome, man!! I've actually been really interested in hearing the HiFime DAC, so that'll be cool too. Are your buddies coming this time?

It's possible. We might have a pair of the M50x in blue/orange if so.

I didn't catch is there a tentative date?

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #327 of 369
Jan 27, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #328 of 369
  damn, great price, i almost hit the join button!

I know, I did the same thing-- before realizing that I don't actually have to own every headphone related item on the planet. (Audiophile acquisition syndrome? What audiophile acquisition syndrome?)

The DT880 with tubes is a match made in heaven.  No wonder she liked it.

I'd go with the Bengali...being a Bengals fan and all.  Be sure to make the logo orange and black.

I'm beginning to think that Beyers and pretty much anything is a match made in heaven... I can't recall hearing a single headphone of theirs I disliked. I suppose I liked the DT770 least, but it was also being driven by a little HM601, so it's possible I'd like it more from a better source.

And you know, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I actually dig the Bengali script. Plus, I have no problem with the Bengals, and would actually vastly prefer to see them in the Superbowl than either of the [insert unnecessarily long string of derogatory adjectives] teams playing this year. I find myself cheering for the head office to discipline the Pats rather than either team... And only part of this is butthurt that my Broncos went out on such a sour note. *Eyes get petulant and watery.*

The wa7 needs better tubes and other upgrades to reach it's potential IMO. Gets pretty spendy. 

Which is pretty much my general critique of all tube amps ever. Naturally, that also opens up the line of debate about having the ability to customize/tweak the sound, etc etc. And actually, if you have any recommendations for particularly excellent tube complements for the WA7, I'd love your feedback!

Btw, good to hear from you... I was afraid SWMBO might've axe-murdered you over the last round of speaker purchases
blink.gif

Vol 3 looks like a winner to me.

If I can buy a new/used amp prior to the meet I'll be bringing it, I need more power!

Any and all suggestions are helpful

I'll keep an eye out for anything else that might pair well with your LCD-3 and HD800... Ever look at any of the current-mode amps (Bakoon, Questyle, etc)?

It's possible. We might have a pair of the M50x in blue/orange if so.

I didn't catch is there a tentative date?

As long as they're not, you know, Florida Gators blue and orange (cue the hisses and boos).

And yeppers, April 18th is the day! Hope you can make it man :wink:.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #329 of 369
And the Grand Prize Winner of the coveted Music City Meet #3 Venue is going to be....

...postponed. Arrrrghhh.... Still have a couple of irons in the fire, and given the potential upside of each one, I'm waiting to decide until I hear back on at least two of them. Hopefully by the end of the week.

[Exasperated expletives here.]

On the upside: I'll have my grubby paws on those T1s on Wednesday (thanks Rumay!!!) So there's that to look forward to, at least.

Also, my mom is snagging a WA7 from the Massdrop sale, and plans on bringing it along with her Olive One media player, so we should have even more interesting gear around!

I am looking forward to listening to your T1, I really liked thos in September!!!

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #330 of 369

Kazakh:
басылым үш

Bengali:
সংস্করণ তিন

Esperanto:
eldono tri

Swahili:
toleo tatu

Or, of course, Yiddish:
אַדישאַן דרייַ

:p

Sounds like a great match for your new T1....just sayn'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back