Muse Portable Tube Amplifier
Aug 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
There have been a few portable tube amps to come out recently, and none of them are cheap. Even the one from govibe, who always made cheap solid state portables, is over 600usd. So I was browsing on ebay and came across a muse tube portable that's around 100usd shipping. I tried searching on here and couldn't find anything. It looks smaller than the other tube portables and the price looks really good for the specs(well looks good period considering it's a tube portable). The battery life isn't that great, but it is a 100.00 tube portable.  I wonder if anyone's tried it?

Here's a couple of links
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320744737158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m159.l1634&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muse-Portable-battery-tube-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp-/250869887386?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3a6902b19a

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 38
I know you can't expect much for 100.00, and it's probably a clone. But they have been known to make some pretty good clones in the past. Their cheap dacs and dac/amp combo clones have been highly regarded in the past. I just pulled the trigger on a uha 4, but that price really tempts me. I would feel a little better once there are some impressions about it. Even though it's only 100.00, it could still be a waste of a 100.00.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 38
That seller is guilty of false advertising. That's not a tube portable, and has actually been around for few years. That's seller also is not an authorized dealer and you won't be covered by little dot's fabulous warranty.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 38
I decided to take one for the team and  just ordered the Muse.  With shipping it was about $98.00 It may take a couple of weeks to arrive, but I'll report back when it does.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
Why? Is this not a Little Dot? what is false??

I believe he is referring to the fact that it is not a tube amp.  I've had one of these since they first came out, and they are solid state amps.  Not a bad little amp, nice sound stage, good detail, slightly warm sound.  Not as refined or smooth as the better portables, but for the money not a bad amp.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 38
Is the 6111 tube socketed?  Can you replace/roll this?  VERY EXCITING ... GREAT FIND ... waiting for your review.  ALO sells a portable amp based on this tube for 6x the price.

I need a portable tube amp in my life, no question about that.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 38
The 6111 wants a lot of power to run linear; look it up.

You're not going to get 150V+ off a battery, at least not very long or without a lot of heat.

The portables are usually hybrids, with a very small amount of power coming from the tube and the majority of power coming from solid state.

If you really want tubes, you need to plug into the wall/mains, and have some heavy transformers develop the required voltage and plenty of attendant heat. Anything short of that is primarily, if not entirely, solid state amplification.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 38
I believe he is referring to the fact that it is not a tube amp.  I've had one of these since they first came out, and they are solid state amps.  Not a bad little amp, nice sound stage, good detail, slightly warm sound.  Not as refined or smooth as the better portables, but for the money not a bad amp.

Right. I dont know why he didn't get that from my last post when i specifically said it's "not" a tube amplifier when the seller advertises it as a tube amp. You are right though. It is a decent sounding portable for the price, but don't belong in this thread. I'm really looking forward to your impressions. Thanks for taking one for the team.:wink:

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 38
Yep, these amps would be pretty much the same if you took the tube out. Most listeners probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one running stock and one where the tube is bypassed.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 38
I have been interested in this since I spotted it on ebay a few months ago too.

I contacted a buyer through ebay who has sent me some of their impressions of the amp. Im waiting for the ok from them to post their comments on headfi.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 38
OK, OK so you can't hear the difference the tube makes.  Still, there's the cool factor, the bragging rights, the nose-in-the-air when you point out that a co-worker's amp is "only" solid state.

Shallow people of the world unite!

The price on eBay just went up $15 in the middle of the buy-it-now!!  I complained and got it lowered back to $90 from $105.  Then I bought it.

Do you think this was a clever ploy to get people to order?  If so, it worked on me.  Total with shipping is $100.  It is small enough that, if I have it delivered to the office, I can sneak it home and avoid a WAF flame-out.  Hell, her brother spends more on a bottle of wine.  You can't listen to wine! 

It's on the slow boat, but when it arrives I will observe (with my ears) and report, like others here have promised to do as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back