Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)
Dec 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #256 of 283
Cheers Bazirker for your reply! If you mean "DC resistance" then it is 50 Ohms (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HhZTLG6ctec/UOGkNMnp9YI/AAAAAAAACFw/sM6k_9zzvPY/s1600/EDD_5101b.jpg). I think your example of the DT990s proves that it's plenty enough! (unless there's another spec other than the impedance that I need to consider.)

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #257 of 283
  Hi there, this is a great review thread... could someone give me some advice? I am wondering if the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII would have enough power to drive the latest version of Mad Dogs? I actually need a portable DAC/amp combo that supports playback from my macbook air and my HTC One X via USB OTG. I will also be using my Shure SE215 IEMs with this setup. My budget is around $250-300. Thanks so much in advanced.

Sorry for the delayed response.  The UHA-6S is a good choice if you need both in the price range.  The only other decent option I have heard is the Sunrise Ray, but my unit had an issue and I haven't yet received a replacement.

Not sure if I looked up the correct specs for your phones, but I think they're ~50 ohm impedance.  My UHA-6SmkII can almost drive my DT990's which are 600 ohms, so I would think your Mad Dogs would do fine.    (To be clear, I am able to listen to the DT990's out of this amp, I just can't push them to ear splitting volumes like I could with my Fiio E7/E9 combo.)

How does the Fiio compare in quality?

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #258 of 283
Am about to go shop for an amp tomorrow so thought perhaps you could give your 2cents.

Im driving a UM mage from a dx50.
The UM mage focuses on extremely clear vocals and has a rather quick hitting bass. I want to keep that quick hitting, but rather light bass and maintaining or possibly improving the mids while most importantly, improve the soundstage and positioning. The amp must not make the bass sound muddy nor take away the clarity. I'm prefer a more analytical sound over musical one.

Thanks alot in advance

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #259 of 283
  Am about to go shop for an amp tomorrow so thought perhaps you could give your 2cents.

Im driving a UM mage from a dx50.
The UM mage focuses on extremely clear vocals and has a rather quick hitting bass. I want to keep that quick hitting, but rather light bass and maintaining or possibly improving the mids while most importantly, improve the soundstage and positioning. The amp must not make the bass sound muddy nor take away the clarity. I'm prefer a more analytical sound over musical one.

Thanks alot in advance

What is your price range?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #260 of 283
Just got an ak100 because i like the vocals.

Now i find that the treble is quite sibilant, perhaps something with a darker signature that boosts bass slightly without making it muddy.
Im looking at something priced similar to the headstage arrow 4g

Regards

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #261 of 283
How does the Fiio compare in quality?

In terms of build quality, the Fiio units are quite impressive given their low price. That said, I feel the Leckerton amp is absolutely built like a tank (in a good way.)

The E7+E9 combo packs a tremendous punch. It really, really puts out a lot of juice. If I were to accidentally crank the volume to max and hit play on a hard rock track, I honestly would not be surprised if the amp caused my 600 ohm DT990'S to play loudly enough to permanently damage the headphones. The sound is clear and neutral with a centered presentation.

The UHA-6S.MKII pushes much less juice, which is unsurprising given it is designed as a portable unit rather than a desktop amp. With the AD8610 op amp, the sound is more clear and precise than the Fiio combo. Most noteworthy is the change in presentation, where the UHA is vastly more 3D and spacious than the "in your face" presentation of the Fiios. Depending on the style of music you listen to, this may not be desirable; while I easily prefer the UHA for EDM produced for high quality arena speakers, I sometimes preferred the Fiio combo for metal, particularly when the recording quality or mastering is poor.

Overall, the UHA is of higher quality in build and sound quality, although the Fiio combo wins out when you just want to crank it up and ruin your hearing :)

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #262 of 283
  Just got an ak100 because i like the vocals.

Now i find that the treble is quite sibilant, perhaps something with a darker signature that boosts bass slightly without making it muddy.
Im looking at something priced similar to the headstage arrow 4g

Regards

I am not sure you should base your amp sound signature decision off the headphone out of the high impedance AK100, as the line out probably will not have the same issue.  I take it you don't need a DAC/amp now since you will use the AK100, right?

If size doesn't matter, the quite large Tube Amp TA-1 is quite good for the price.
Based on my experience with the Stepdance, the 2Stepdance will probably also be a very good amp.
If you do need a DAC/amp, the UHA-6S MKII could work if  you use an op-amp other than the stock one, or the Sunrise Ray is also a good choice from my listening experience.

The Arrow isn't a perfect amp, as the deep bass is a bit rolled off and the mid-bass is a bit enhanced, but the latest version I reviewed was vastly superior to the previous versions.  

Also, if you don't mind answering a question, someone is asking about the Mage here.

In terms of build quality, the Fiio units are quite impressive given their low price. That said, I feel the Leckerton amp is absolutely built like a tank (in a good way.)

The E7+E9 combo packs a tremendous punch. It really, really puts out a lot of juice. If I were to accidentally crank the volume to max and hit play on a hard rock track, I honestly would not be surprised if the amp caused my 600 ohm DT990'S to play loudly enough to permanently damage the headphones. The sound is clear and neutral with a centered presentation.

The UHA-6S.MKII pushes much less juice, which is unsurprising given it is designed as a portable unit rather than a desktop amp. With the AD8610 op amp, the sound is more clear and precise than the Fiio combo. Most noteworthy is the change in presentation, where the UHA is vastly more 3D and spacious than the "in your face" presentation of the Fiios. Depending on the style of music you listen to, this may not be desirable; while I easily prefer the UHA for EDM produced for high quality arena speakers, I sometimes preferred the Fiio combo for metal, particularly when the recording quality or mastering is poor.

Overall, the UHA is of higher quality in build and sound quality, although the Fiio combo wins out when you just want to crank it up and ruin your hearing :)

Thanks for the info.  I love the look and feel of the Fiio products and have the X3, which is quite nice to use.  While the sound quality is pretty much inline with the price, it doesn't help high-end gear sound quite as good as the more expensive stuff.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #263 of 283
Leckerton's new flagship, the UHA760 is now shipping. I imagine we'll see some reviews soon http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha760

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #264 of 283
Just FYI if you weren't aware, the MK2 version of the AK100 has a low output impedance. It would be interesting to read your thoughts on its performance versus an iPhone + amp.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #265 of 283
I will check out the Sunrise Audio Ray, thanks!

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #266 of 283
  Leckerton's new flagship, the UHA760 is now shipping. I imagine we'll see some reviews soon http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha760

Ah, its shipping already!  I would guess it will be pretty good and hope to be able to review it at some point.

Just FYI if you weren't aware, the MK2 version of the AK100 has a low output impedance. It would be interesting to read your thoughts on its performance versus an iPhone + amp.

Thanks for the info!  If this is directed at me, I would love to when I get a chance, and that would be a nice comparison.  How about iPhone -> DAC - amp?

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #267 of 283
Hey,
just to say that if an EU head-fier is looking to buy this great amp, I might sell mine 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699138/ic-portaphile-627x

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #270 of 283
Hello!

I hope I was thorough enough, but I didn't find any experiences with the DX50 and the HE 12 4G. I want to drive a pair of SE535 and maybe later a high sensitivity CIEM. I like the sound of this setup right now, but I would appreciate a little more bass.

What do you think? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back