Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)
Jun 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #122 of 283
Quote:
Just got the portaphile 627 and in a word it is PHENOMENAL!  I will write a proper review, and hope to get it out by early next week, but as of right now I could not be happier.  Average_joe definitely didn't embellish his review when he said that it was the best amp he'd heard to date.

Great to hear you got one for yourself and glad to hear you are enjoying it!  I am looking forward to your review as I do think it is a very good amp as mentioned in the review and the numbers show!

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #123 of 283
Its funny - when the choice in single-ended portable amps was between Stepdance, Lisa/L3, Pico and various amps from RSA and iBasso, I remember thinking 'Whoa ! Too many choices !'. That situation has worsened, IMO - in addition to your glowing recommendations, we now have the ALO Continental/National, there is a new Leckerton and Justin is talking about making the 'Power Pico' a reality. Great ..... 

The obvious answer is a meet where ALL of these amps are assembled in one place. That, or be prepared to spend ~5K USD on a drawer full of portable amps.  
rolleyes.gif

(the above assumes that you aren't also seduced by the balanced portable amps - depending on the degree to which you wanted to go crazy with that, you could easily blow your amp budget out to 8K USD, not counting the cost of source/headphones. No question that it would be a blast, but I can see why longtimers like Skylab moved off to concentrate on desktop kit)

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #126 of 283
Lol.. I admit it! I read reviews on the dt880s, want them and all I know is that they are in need of a good amp. So I suppose my question is would the iPhone case amp keep the beyers from clipping and even give them sufficient juice for an average listeners ear?

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #127 of 283
I am in the process of building a pimeta and probably buying a very good amp if this doesn't work but in the mean time I'd prefer to spend my spare cash on a holiday so if I was to buy the relatively inexpensive iPhone dedicated amp to keep the beyers powered till then? It's very late here my communicative powers are diminishing. Am Irish and just been the designated driver for a party night out!:xf_eek:

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #128 of 283
Not really the thread for this kind of question, but to give a quick answer, you'll be able to hear music from the DT880 from an iphone but the 32ohm version would be much better for that. The 600 ohm version is intended for a quality amp; even a Fiio E9 isn't bad with it, but that will cost you a $100. I'd read through this whole thread though when you have the cash to spend on amp, especially if you need a portable. Average_joe has done some stellar reviews here.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #130 of 283
Quote:
Thanks for great review. Have ordered beyer dt880 250 and wondering if iPhone case would be any use as a driver?

PLEASE read Tyll Hersten's thoughts on the 250-ohm version before you settle for those Beyers. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really need to read his thoughts and look at the measurements for each version of the DT880, 

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #131 of 283
I went on a trip combining work followed by a short vacation and took a Senn HD580 and the Portaphile 627 among other cans. I had spent some time driving the HD580 with the Portaphile 627 and new it could drive well in low gain, at least for the listening levels I listen at (about 9 o'clock). I spent additional time and found that I enjoyed the music a lot and it was the set up I chose if sitting down (can't listen in bed with big headphones).

The most interesting thing is how effortlessly and enjoyable the listening experience is. It is a non-tiring and musical experience that allows for many hours (up to four 
wink.gif
 at least for now) of enjoyment and this with an iPod via LOD as a source. It will be hard to return this amp and not have it around (until I can save some $). Cheers.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #132 of 283
I went on a trip combining work followed by a short vacation and took a Senn HD580 and the Portaphile 627 among other cans. I had spent some time driving the HD580 with the Portaphile 627 and new it could drive well in low gain, at least for the listening levels I listen at (about 9 o'clock). I spent additional time and found that I enjoyed the music a lot and it was the set up I chose if sitting down (can't listen in bed with big headphones).

The most interesting thing is how effortlessly and enjoyable the listening experience is. It is a non-tiring and musical experience that allows for many hours (up to four :wink:  at least for now) of enjoyment and this with an iPod via LOD as a source. It will be hard to return this amp and not have it around (until I can save some $). Cheers.

Effortless is a good term to describe the 627, glad you are enjoying it and thanks for sharing your experience here!  Hope you save quickly :wink:

Its funny - when the choice in single-ended portable amps was between Stepdance, Lisa/L3, Pico and various amps from RSA and iBasso, I remember thinking 'Whoa ! Too many choices !'. That situation has worsened, IMO - in addition to your glowing recommendations, we now have the ALO Continental/National, there is a new Leckerton and Justin is talking about making the 'Power Pico' a reality. Great ..... 

The obvious answer is a meet where ALL of these amps are assembled in one place. That, or be prepared to spend ~5K USD on a drawer full of portable amps.  :rolleyes: 

(the above assumes that you aren't also seduced by the balanced portable amps - depending on the degree to which you wanted to go crazy with that, you could easily blow your amp budget out to 8K USD, not counting the cost of source/headphones. No question that it would be a blast, but I can see why longtimers like Skylab moved off to concentrate on desktop kit)

The amp market has exploded!  I wish I had the time to review more, but I have a large number of custom IEMs lined up for review. 

Thanks for great review. Have ordered beyer dt880 250 and wondering if iPhone case would be any use as a driver?

The i.Fuzen is a very nice amp considering the price and form factor. It was designed to drive a wide range of impedances and while I haven't tried it with the DT880, I would imagine it at least keeps up with other amps in the price range. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #133 of 283
Thanks a
Lot estreeter and average_joe.

It was tyll's opinion on the 250 that made me order them as the 32's damping factor wasn't suitable for lower end mp3.
I will definitely look out for the I.fuzen and then go for you're more recommended units once possible. Cheers and happy listening!:)

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #134 of 283
I was able to write a review on the Portaphile 627.  If anyone is interested in a bit of reading you can head over over to http://www.head-fi.org/t/615822/portaphile-627-review and give it a go.  Bear in mind that I'm a much better writing than I'm am a photographer, so please excuse me in that respect haha.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back