**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,456 of 3,203
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,457 of 3,203
Listened to the Mini torii and Mad dogs 3.2 fed by Eximus DP-1 dac for 5 hours yesterday and what revelation it was! My current home rig is HE-6 with Mini Torii and HD800 through the Eximus DP-1 internal amp and previously, I was using LCD-2 with Audio-gd master 8 amp. I was never really a fan of bass despite LCD-2 and HE-6's reported great bass. My favorite genre is Jazz and slow pop, and I will usually skip those bassy tracks in an album. Yesterday's experience totally changed me! For the first time in my life, I found myself running through and looking forward to all the rock, bassy songs I have. The bass is the best I have ever experienced, it hits hard with great texture, clean and only comes whenever it is called for, unlike LCD-2, which seems so ever-present. When I switched back to HE-6, amazingly, the HE-6 bass actually sounded a bit loose in comparison. I can't describe how happy and satisfied with my new found combi which produces the most musical and engaging sound I have ever heard in my life. I have new found respect with both the Mad dogs and Mini Torii. My HD800 with the incoming Stratus amp will probably scale higher, but I can totally live with this MD/MT combi.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,458 of 3,203
Quote:
I have been using the mad dogs at my office through O2 amp or Maverick A1 amp and while I thought it sounded pretty good, I actually prefer my westone ES5 with toxic virus cable through the O2 amp. Until I hooked the mad dogs up through my Decware Mini Torii amp with headphone output which I have been using to pair with HE-6 at home... I couldn't believe that the bass of mad dogs could hit so hard and how well the layers of voices/ instruments are presented. The music is thoroughly engaging with great dynamics and smooth and yet the sound is presented so effortlessly. The soundstage is also much larger. I think I owe Preproman an apology here for doubting him when he said that the soundstage of mad dogs was bigger than LCD-2. While I also no longer have a pair of LCD-2 to compare, I am beginning to believe that it could really be possible especially if he was driving the mad dogs through his GS-X and Master-7.

To think that I actually put up my Mini Torii for sale cheap a few days ago and almost wanted to do the same for the mad dogs. The combination of the two is simply sublime and I am afraid that I have to relegate my ES5 to the sideline already for my office rig. Pardon me for sounding so excited as the feeling I have right now is like uncovering a treasure chest in a pile of old junk that I am about to sell away cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Mini Torii? I may have to look into this. Cheers!

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,460 of 3,203
Does anybody know if they change the logo on the headphones to the nice, clean white font when you get a tune-up to version 3.2? I ordered the Vader sticker just in case, but I really prefer the understated version - it'd be dandy if they just went ahead and did it as part of the deal, but nothing is mentioned on the website.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,461 of 3,203
Quote:
Does anybody know if they change the logo on the headphones to the nice, clean white font when you get a tune-up to version 3.2? I ordered the Vader sticker just in case, but I really prefer the understated version - it'd be dandy if they just went ahead and did it as part of the deal, but nothing is mentioned on the website.

Just remove the stickers before sending them to be upgraded.  They should put the newest version with the white font on when they return them.  They did for mine.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,462 of 3,203
Quote:
Just remove the stickers before sending them to be upgraded.  They should put the newest version with the white font on when they return them.  They did for mine.

Mine as well.

Regarding the question as to balanced a ways back - Whether or not you go with the balanced or SE wiring, if you can spare the $100, the universal option is a really nice, clean upgrade in my opinion.  I am using them balanced with an iBasso PB2, and sometime next week, with a HIFI-M8.  The jury is really out for me as to whether balanced is better.  Either way, as I said, the universal upgrade is worth while, if you can swing the extra $100.  SE to SE, it sounds the same as the standard model, just a much nicer removable cable with the option to go balanced easily if you want to.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,465 of 3,203
I think he said Gus and Marie could be reached at info@mrspeakers.com, but I tried them a few days ago (2 separate emails) with zero response. Fortunately, I was able to resolve my issue without their help.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,468 of 3,203
Hi guys!  Can I ask a favor?  For those of you who own this headphone, could you make a post telling us what amp you use?  I'm not asking for a huge review...thanks!  Maybe it will help me narrow some choices down and streamline my study time on the matter. 

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,469 of 3,203
Hi guys!  Can I ask a favor?  For those of you who own this headphone, could you make a post telling us what amp you use?  I'm not asking for a huge review...thanks!  Maybe it will help me narrow some choices down and streamline my study time on the matter. 

Thanks!

I'm using my mad dogs as my portable on an iBasso PB2. It sounds excellent. I'm still awaiting the top kit from Ron so I'm hoping for it by to sound even better.

I've ABed against my desktop Audio Gd 15.32 and the PB2s are much better. They must like power. Mine's the 3.2 SE version btw

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,470 of 3,203
Quote:

Thanks!

Can you tell us whether you're looking for a portable, home or transportable solution ? 

The general consensus is that the Mad Dogs perform best with a good amount of power. Somewhere buried in this thread you'll find mention of good results with vintage solid state amps.

The more powerful portable amps also sound good  (RSA SR71B, Headamp Pico Power, ALO RxMkII and Continental, FiiO E12, IBasso PB2). If you're trying to stay low budget, the FiiO E12 has a good amount of power for < $150. If you're more interested in better sound and you want balanced, the RSA, ALO and IBasso all are common choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back