**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,324 of 3,203
Get it from headfi member HiFlight
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,327 of 3,203
Quote:
Supposed to receive my balanced version with 1/4" cable tomorrow...I have had to wait a bit for the cable but it will be worth it !

I received mine about a week ago.   The 1/4" cable is very well designed - it is just the right length for most uses - the plug is very solid as is the cable itself.  The connectors chosen by Dan are very nice - better than most headphone connectors - which is undoubtedly whey they are also used on the upcoming Alpha Dog headphones.

I suspect that the Universal (balanced) version of the Mad Dog with the 1/4" cable sounds a little bit better than the regular 3.2 Mad Dog, but I have no way of proving it, since my previous Mad Dogs were 3.0.  It's odd how some threads in Head-Fi are very aftermarket-cable-sound friendly, and in other threads, you get ridiculed for even suggesting it... for example, cable talk is welcomed in HE-500 threads, but attacked in HE-400 threads.  Perhaps it is dependent on the bank account size of the members...

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,328 of 3,203
Hi guys Im just asking the kind people of the internet for some advice. Im listening to my Mad Dogs through my old Rotel amp which just happens to sound GREAT! Problem is its huge and not so easy to move around. 

To rectify this I purchased the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. It sounds nice and detailed but it is a little bright and harsh whereas the big 'ol Rotel has plenty of detail but sounds a lot fuller and warmer. The Mad Dogs just seem to want some more juice to bring out their full potential. 

Any Suggestions for amps, dacs, or amp/dac in one would be much appreciated. Desktop or portable is fine. Budget is around $400 but could probably be stretched out a little.
size]

If this helps all music is flac coming from foobar.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,331 of 3,203
I am currently using a 35 pound 1979 Sansui amp, probably not too different from your Rotel.

The $100 cost of a Magni, is equivalent to $20 in 1974.  Mike Moffat does an excellent job to get a reasonably good sound out of so little cost.

The cost of the Sansui in 2013 dollars is $1,500 - but I paid not much more than the cost of a Magni, for one that was recapped and fully serviced, brought back to factory specs.

You say "Problem is its huge and not so easy to move around." and then you say " Desktop or portable is fine." which is contradictory.  "Desktop" means not going to be moved...

Which model of Rotel ?

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,332 of 3,203
Quote:
I am currently using a 35 pound 1979 Sansui amp, probably not too different from your Rotel.

The $100 cost of a Magni, is equivalent to $20 in 1974.  Mike Moffat does an excellent job to get a reasonably good sound out of so little cost.

The cost of the Sansui in 2013 dollars is $1,500 - but I paid not much more than the cost of a Magni, for one that was recapped and fully serviced, brought back to factory specs.

You say "Problem is its huge and not so easy to move around." and then you say " Desktop or portable is fine." which is contradictory.  "Desktop" means not going to be moved...

Which model of Rotel ?

Where are you getting these numbers? 
blink.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,334 of 3,203
I've got iBasso PB2 coming after a suggestion on this thread and reading a couple of reviews. Planning on using it as my portable to drive my mad dogs via an iphone4s. It might turn up at work today. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,335 of 3,203
I've got iBasso PB2 coming after a suggestion on this thread and reading a couple of reviews. Planning on using it as my portable to drive my mad dogs via an iphone4s. It might turn up at work today. I'll let you know how it sounds.

The unit includes rollable op amps. You might try the blue 797 in the gain (by the battery) and the high power buffers with the resistors on them (by the front). Great combo. Also set it to medium or high gain (manual is in the iBasso site).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back