**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #634 of 3,203
Jul 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #635 of 3,203
Quote:
What version has the Shure pads?
Can you still pay $30 to get old pairs tuned?
Thanks in advance

Dude, you have the first version, I don't think $30 will do...

Quote:
  1. Version 1-Shure 840 Pads
  2. Version 2-Dog Pads
    1. Smoother and more balanced sound
    2. Improved comfort and isolation
  3. Version 3-Mad Dog with Alpha Pad purchased before March 17 or Dog Pad units upgraded to Alpha Pads
    1. Even better comfort, isolation
    2. Smoother neutral/dark signature
    3. Warmer lower mids
  4. Version 3.1-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased between March 17 and April 12
    1. Increased bass extension (slightly) and increased upper mids and treble to make the phone less dark (still dark/neutral)
  5. Version 3.2-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased April 13 and on
    1. Still more sub-bass extension
    2. Also a bit more upper mid energy for more presence, reduced congestion, and more air up top.  Cymbals have more brass to them, and strings are more airy and natural sounding

You have version 1 (I started on that one also...). Contact Dan for info on the upgrade.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #637 of 3,203
Ok, thanks.
Power to Dan for making improvement with each versions

I really do not like when there are so many versions of a phone, just get too confusing :frowning2:
Was using this last night and wondering how much better the newest version will sound
Hope it will not cost too much

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #638 of 3,203
Anyone have any experience with their MDs and the Leckerton UHA-4S? I think that's the portable amp I'm leaning towards at the moment...

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #640 of 3,203
Anyone know how much power is required to drive the MDs? I've got a portable GoVibe Vulcan+ that can do 430mW at 32 Ohms. Will that be sufficient? I should be receiving them sometime this week and I'm very excited!!

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #642 of 3,203
Quote:
Anyone know how much power is required to drive the MDs? I've got a portable GoVibe Vulcan+ that can do 430mW at 32 Ohms. Will that be sufficient? I should be receiving them sometime this week and I'm very excited!!

I'm using a Leckerton UHA-6S Mk II. It'll do 55 mW into 32 Ohms and it does a fine job of driving the Mad Dogs. I greatly prefer it over the much more powerful O2 (613 mW into 33 Ohms). I think you'll be just fine.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #643 of 3,203
Thanks for the reassuring info guys! I'm excited to have a good pair of sealed headphones. I've heard lots of good things about their soundstage and visualization (amongst a myriad of other wonderful comments)!

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #644 of 3,203
Received my Mad Dog's this morning. Very very impressed. I work nightshifts and tend to wake at about 3pm daily and finish work till around mid night. I own unit, and stay my brother and a friend here. Because I tend to be up very late and I watch movies, tv and listen to music late at night I needed a pair of full sized closed that isolated like crazy for the silent nights. The HE-500 were being heard by the ultra sensitive ears of my young brother through the wall vent (I listen pretty loudly I guess). I hated watching shows and movies trying to use a IEM, this is perfect. These block sound extremely well and do not leak anything that my brother can hear even sitting next to me.

Very fast shipping with priority from the US to Australia. 6 days or so I believe.

Quote:
Please post your comparisons as I will be purchasing one of the 3

I've only had 4 hours to listen, but here are a few preliminary thoughts. I listen to mostly Rock, Metal and electronic.

I'll start off by saying that the HE-500 is another league as expected.

I'm powering all 3 from the NFB 5.32 at the moment.  1800 mW to 50 ohms.

Bass

HE-400 has the highest amount of bass out of the three. HE-500 has a higher bass quality, or at least cleaner bass but is not as powerful. The Mad Dog 3.2 is about the same in quantity as the HE-500 on this set up but is slightly less defined.

Mids

The HE-400 has a dip in the upper mids, which makes them very laid back and as everyone knows they are towards being a/are dark headphone. For rock/metal/punk etc it lacks a bit of attack for guitars. The Mad Dog has good full mids, no dips here. The mad dog is not aggressive by any means though, and is mostly neutral/relaxed. Very smooth, no noticeable odd peaks or harshness. HE-500 has better mids for me. Just fuller, and better with vocals.

Treble

The HE-400 has a bit of harshness in the treble, cymbal hits can sound a bit unusual sometimes. HE-500 has very smooth treble (to me at least) with the velours and is extended well, a lot better than the HE-400. The Mad Dog has mostly smooth treble but I think there is some imbalance up there, but nothing notable to my ears.

Soundstage

The HE-500 is the biggest, quite wide but not very deep. The HE-400 is still fairly wide but less so that the HE-500. The mad dog is of average width + depth but is definitely well above what I'm used to from closed cans. All three lack the air of high end dynamics.

Comfort

I've got average sized (64mm) ears and I wear thin framed glasses. I have an average sized head. The Mad Dog is remarkably comfortable and is hands down the best in this regard. The HE-400 and HE-500 are the same for me here, both clamped too hard at first until I stretched the headband. Still they both can both be felt with slight pressure on my head, but not uncomfortable really unless you are listening for hours.

Imagine/seperation: Goes to the HE-400 and HE-500 here, they handle the complex passages in fast rock songs with a bit more clarity and instruments are better seperated.

Sorry for not articulating my thoughts better, very tired at current.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #645 of 3,203
Quote:
Received my Mad Dog's this morning. Very very impressed. I work nightshifts and tend to wake at about 3pm daily and finish work till around mid night. I own unit, and stay my brother and a friend here. Because I tend to be up very late and I watch movies, tv and listen to music late at night I needed a pair of full sized closed that isolated like crazy for the silent nights. The HE-500 were being heard by the ultra sensitive ears of my young brother through the wall vent (I listen pretty loudly I guess). I hated watching shows and movies trying to use a IEM, this is perfect. These block sound extremely well and do not leak anything that my brother can hear even sitting next to me.

Very fast shipping with priority from the US to Australia. 6 days or so I believe.

I've only had 4 hours to listen, but here are a few preliminary thoughts. I listen to mostly Rock, Metal and electronic.

I'll start off by saying that the HE-500 is another league as expected.

I'm powering all 3 from the NFB 5.32 at the moment.  1800 mW to 50 ohms.

Bass

HE-400 has the highest amount of bass out of the three. HE-500 has a higher bass quality, or at least cleaner bass but is not as powerful. The Mad Dog 3.2 is about the same in quantity as the HE-500 on this set up but is slightly less defined.

Mids

The HE-400 has a dip in the upper mids, which makes them very laid back and as everyone knows they are towards being a/are dark headphone. For rock/metal/punk etc it lacks a bit of attack for guitars. The Mad Dog has good full mids, no dips here. The mad dog is not aggressive by any means though, and is mostly neutral/relaxed. Very smooth, no noticeable odd peaks or harshness. HE-500 has better mids for me. Just fuller, and better with vocals.

Treble

The HE-400 has a bit of harshness in the treble, cymbal hits can sound a bit unusual sometimes. HE-500 has very smooth treble (to me at least) with the velours and is extended well, a lot better than the HE-400. The Mad Dog has mostly smooth treble but I think there is some imbalance up there, but nothing notable to my ears.

Soundstage

The HE-500 is the biggest, quite wide but not very deep. The HE-400 is still fairly wide but less so that the HE-500. The mad dog is of average width + depth but is definitely well above what I'm used to from closed cans. All three lack the air of high end dynamics.

Comfort

I've got average sized (64mm) ears and I wear thin framed glasses. I have an average sized head. The Mad Dog is remarkably comfortable and is hands down the best in this regard. The HE-400 and HE-500 are the same for me here, both clamped too hard at first until I stretched the headband. Still they both can both be felt with slight pressure on my head, but not uncomfortable really unless you are listening for hours.

Imagine/seperation: Goes to the HE-400 and HE-500 here, they handle the complex passages in fast rock songs with a bit more clarity and instruments are better seperated.

Sorry for not articulating my thoughts better, very tired at current.

I second all what's said here 
beerchug.gif

Can't wait to have my MDs retuned to 3.2 when I reach the US this coming fall.

@Dan: any news from the European re-tuning service so far? I might well do it here, in France, whenever it's available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back