**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #391 of 3,203
Well, both phones have good bass. The MD has more visceral impact and is a little quicker. They are both linear and scale up to match the material  very well. As with most iem's the fit and seal of the tips will make all the difference. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #392 of 3,203
Quote:
Well, both phones have good bass. The MD has more visceral impact and is a little quicker. They are both linear and scale up to match the material  very well. As with most iem's the fit and seal of the tips will make all the difference. 

Just from pure memory about the MK2, I have to agree.

I ended up with the BE because I wanted just a little more from the MK2. After comparing its bass to the MD I have to say they are about on par...

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #393 of 3,203
Quote:
Your questions have been answered. Multiple times. I'm glad that I'm not trying to sell you a car or a box of tic tacs. With all due respect, please take the information that been given and make a decision. If you don't like them them send them back. Not hating on you just ready to see you make a decision...please. 

Yep well usually I do not faff about, it is just due to the fact they are USA only and I am in the UK and also I am getting completely different opinions from different people. This is why usually I just buy the damn headphones and test them, but this is not quite so simple for me because of the location of the mad dogs. One person says they have loads of bass another says they lack impact etc.

I was hoping for some comparisons to other headphones I have used, because peoples opinions do not really mean anything without a point of reference. Also how much they have improved with the new revisions and pads, clearly these are good in the mids and treble or they would not have so many replies in the thread, but the bass....

I found that the 840 were a little bit bass light for me, although it was quite a long time ago I cannot remember too well, I would want more than the 840 if anything.

I am sure this question would be of interest to a lot of other people as well so it is not as if I am wasting time is it, that is the point of the thread after all, to discuss the headphones or find out if they are what you are looking for...

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #394 of 3,203
Quote:

I found that the 840 were a little bit bass light for me, although it was quite a long time ago I cannot remember too well, I would want more than the 840 if anything.

It has more...

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #395 of 3,203
I am just going to ask about this one more time, after reading the review on headphonia (not really sure how good they are anyway) and some other reviews, these were of the older mad dogs, since then I think there has been a few revisions and new pads. Do these revisions and pads REALLY make a big difference to the bass on these headphones, most of the headphonia review seemed to be moaning about the lack of bass impact, I do not have to have D5000 bass impact but I do not want headphones that have even remotely weak bass, I want big, powerful bass, maybe 80% of the D5000 for sub bass and impact would be OK for me, should I look elsewhere?

There is a basshead thread that will probably be your style. Check it out.

The changes made were significant to the bass on the Mad Dogs. They are not bass weak at all, but that opinion is mine.

If you want a subwoofer on your head, then I'd look elsewhere.

15 day money back guarantee from Dan, that's a great offer. Try it and see for yourself.

If the information already up doesn't answer you now, it probably never will.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #396 of 3,203
Quote:
There is a basshead thread that will probably be your style. Check it out.

The changes made were significant to the bass on the Mad Dogs. They are not bass weak at all, but that opinion is mine.

If you want a subwoofer on your head, then I'd look elsewhere.

15 day money back guarantee from Dan, that's a great offer. Try it and see for yourself.

If the information already up doesn't answer you now, it probably never will.

Hmmm please don't give replies as if I am a "dirty basshead" I appreciate the other parts of the sound just as much, and I do not want 2 big floppy subwoofers on my head, I am looking for quality bass, but without a decent amount of impact and quantity then headphones just sound thin to my ears. I was just trying to get a better idea.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #397 of 3,203
Quote:

Yep well usually I do not faff about, it is just due to the fact they are USA only and I am in the UK and also I am getting completely different opinions from different people. This is why usually I just buy the damn headphones and test them, but this is not quite so simple for me because of the location of the mad dogs. One person says they have loads of bass another says they lack impact etc.

I was hoping for some comparisons to other headphones I have used, because peoples opinions do not really mean anything without a point of reference. Also how much they have improved with the new revisions and pads, clearly these are good in the mids and treble or they would not have so many replies in the thread, but the bass....

I am sure this question would be of interest to a lot of other people as well so it is not as if I am wasting time is it, that is the point of the thread after all, to discuss the headphones or find out if they are what you are looking for...

I understand very well what the point of the thread is. I did start it btw. My issue here is that you've gotten feedback from several notable members who have been kind enough to share their insite with you. You've gotten very good advice. I propose that you go back and read what was written in response to your questions and make an informed decisions. 

Good luck and very best,

Matt

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #398 of 3,203
Quote:

I understand very well what the point of the thread is. I did start it btw. My issue here is that you've gotten feedback from several notable members who have been kind enough to share their insite with you. You've gotten very good advice. I propose that you go back and read what was written in response to your questions and make an informed decisions. 

Good luck and very best,

Matt

I was just looking for references to any other headphones that I have owned, sorry I asked!

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #399 of 3,203
If you're a "dirty basshead" then so am I. It wasn't my intention speaking down to you. I frequent the basshead threads often. They offer some great opinions. Sorry if it came off as not actual advice, but it was intended to be.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #401 of 3,203
Quote:
Would an ALC 892 or a cheap dedicated soundcard have 2 volts output?

2V is the "standard" for output voltage, which of course is why some are 1V and others are 2V, or random.  You have to check the manufacturer's specs, it's not correlated to price.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #403 of 3,203
The Mad Dogs are not basshead or even remotely basshead headphones. They offer a balanced and linear response that has good decay and impact. I would describe the bass as accurate. If the track calls for bass, the MDs will deliver. If the D5K is your point of reference than I would look elsewhere. The MDs don't have 80% of the D5K's bass. There is abundance of mid-bass bloom on D5K that the MDs don't offer. The sub-bass is also more powerful and prevalent on the D5K as well. Truthfully, I found the D5K's bass to be more quantity than quality. It was loose in comparison, and had too much mid-bass bloom. Because of that, the D5K gave powerful and sometimes overly boomy bass for everything I tried to listen to. The bass was prevalent on every track no matter if it was rock, electronic, or jazz. The best way to sum up the bass of the MDs is accurate and linear. No part of the lower frequencies stand out over the others, allowing the presentation to sound clean and free of bleeding. 

Like I said before, I think you will find the MDs lacking. Especially if you adore the D5K's bass. They aren't similar at all. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #404 of 3,203
Quote:

It has more and is just cleaner sounding overall.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #405 of 3,203
Quote:
The Mad Dogs are not basshead or even remotely basshead headphones. They offer a balanced and linear response that has good decay and impact. I would describe the bass as accurate. If the track calls for bass, the MDs will deliver. If the D5K is your point of reference than I would look elsewhere. The MDs don't have 80% of the D5K's bass. There is abundance of mid-bass bloom on D5K that the MDs don't offer. The sub-bass is also more powerful and prevalent on the D5K as well. Truthfully, I found the D5K's bass to be more quantity than quality. It was loose in comparison, and had too much mid-bass bloom. Because of that, the D5K gave powerful and sometimes overly boomy bass for everything I tried to listen to. The bass was prevalent on every track no matter if it was rock, electronic, or jazz. The best way to sum up the bass of the MDs is accurate and linear. No part of the lower frequencies stand out over the others, allowing the presentation to sound clean and free of bleeding. 

Like I said before, I think you will find the MDs lacking. Especially if you adore the D5K's bass. They aren't similar at all. 

Thanks, the Dxxxx are probably the bassiest headphones I have heard, maybe the atrio MG7 iem's. Hmmm maybe I will give the Mad dogs a try anyway because of the huge amount of positive comments on these threads, if the rest of the sound is excellent as it seems from these forums, then I can forgive a bit less bass as long as they can be EQ to have some more bass and give a full sound that is not thin sounding. Also I would really like to try out some ortho headphones and see what all the fuss is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back