**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #376 of 3,203
Could anybody tell me if I had the mad dogs with the balanced XLR cable, and I do not have a balance amp (xonar STX or NAD 326bee) could I purchase one of those "balanced to single ended" adapters and use the balanced headphones on a standard single ended headphone amp?

Something like this as an example...

http://www.pasupercentre.co.uk/female-xlr-to-male-jack-adaptor.html?source=googleps&id=5&gclid=CLfa397ph7gCFZIPtAody1IA8A

Would that work? Or would I need a single ended cable?

Mr. Speakers offers a single ended cable for either $59 or $69 I think. Attaches at the headphone with the same connector as the balanced cable, but ends in a 1/4 plug.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #378 of 3,203
popcorn.gif

I mean, how could I not?  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #380 of 3,203
Quote:
Well, I've had my Mad Dog 3.2s for a couple weeks and I've fallen in love with them.  Definitely a great headphone for the money!  I'm just curious, what amps are people enjoying these on?  I originally had them hooked up to my M-stage and was really enjoying it.  It definitely had a bass and mid emphasis but It was really enjoyable with some music.  Then the other day I hooked them up to my friends JDS labs o2 and it really took them up a notch.  The o2 really brought the treble more in line with the bass and mids and makes for a much more neutral presentation.  I'm guessing these do best with a neutral to bright amp?

Please tell me quickly, should I order the O2 amp for my maddogs?

The discounted O2 offer for 130 bucks ends today!

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #383 of 3,203
  Well, I've had my Mad Dog 3.2s for a couple weeks and I've fallen in love with them.  Definitely a great headphone for the money!  I'm just curious, what amps are people enjoying these on?  I originally had them hooked up to my M-stage and was really enjoying it.  It definitely had a bass and mid emphasis but It was really enjoyable with some music.  Then the other day I hooked them up to my friends JDS labs o2 and it really took them up a notch.  The o2 really brought the treble more in line with the bass and mids and makes for a much more neutral presentation.  I'm guessing these do best with a neutral to bright amp?

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #384 of 3,203
Quote:
Which gain settings should I pick?

If your source provides a standard 2Vrms to the O2, 1x and 2.5x gain is perfect for the Mad Dogs.  In this situation with these headphones, the 6.5x gain would be useless.  I only use 1x with the Mad Dogs and the volume level has a ton of headroom to reach staggeringly loud levels.  Now, if you have any headphones with 300 ohm impedance or higher, you might want to consider the option for 6.5x and 2.5x.

You could always go with the 6.5x and 2.5x option and see how it works for you.  It is very easy to clip the resistors out of the 6.5x signal path to convert to 1x if that gain is too much and not very useful with your equipment.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #385 of 3,203
Quote:

If your source provides a standard 2Vrms to the O2, 1x and 2.5x gain is perfect for the Mad Dogs.  In this situation with these headphones, the 6.5x gain would be useless.  I only use 1x with the Mad Dogs and the volume level has a ton of headroom to reach staggeringly loud levels.  Now, if you have any headphones with 300 ohm impedance or higher, you might want to consider the option for 6.5x and 2.5x.

You could always go with the 6.5x and 2.5x option and see how it works for you.  It is very easy to clip the resistors out of the 6.5x signal path to convert to 1x if that gain is too much and not very useful with your equipment.

Sorry for being a noob but what is "2Vrms"?

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #386 of 3,203
I am just going to ask about this one more time, after reading the review on headphonia (not really sure how good they are anyway) and some other reviews, these were of the older mad dogs, since then I think there has been a few revisions and new pads. Do these revisions and pads REALLY make a big difference to the bass on these headphones, most of the headphonia review seemed to be moaning about the lack of bass impact, I do not have to have D5000 bass impact but I do not want headphones that have even remotely weak bass, I want big, powerful bass, maybe 80% of the D5000 for sub bass and impact would be OK for me, should I look elsewhere?

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #388 of 3,203
Quote:
I am just going to ask about this one more time, after reading the review on headphonia (not really sure how good they are anyway) and some other reviews, these were of the older mad dogs, since then I think there has been a few revisions and new pads. Do these revisions and pads REALLY make a big difference to the bass on these headphones, most of the headphonia review seemed to be moaning about the lack of bass impact, I do not have to have D5000 bass impact but I do not want headphones that have even remotely weak bass, I want big, powerful bass, maybe 80% of the D5000 for sub bass and impact would be OK for me, should I look elsewhere?

Is the bass on the 840 satisfactory for you?

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #389 of 3,203
Your questions have been answered. Multiple times. I'm glad that I'm not trying to sell you a car or a box of tic tacs. With all due respect, please take the information that been given and make a decision. If you don't like them them send them back. Not hating on you just ready to see you make a decision...please. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #390 of 3,203
Hey matt, how does the bass of the MDs and GR07 Mk2 compare to you? I currently have the BE but have owned both...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back