**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #91 of 3,203
Quote:
Thanks for the review, Frank!  

beerchug.gif

Your welcome Dan. it was very enjoyable for me to do.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #92 of 3,203
Anyone driving their Mad Dog's off the headphone out of a vintage receiver? 

If so, comments please - especially with regards to the bass depth compared to both a more 'bassy phone' if you have one and compared to an amp you used in the past.

Thanks.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #93 of 3,203
Liked your review Frank, agree to it alot and it was very nice written.

The Mad Dog makes my days so much better at the library while reading up on my elctronics exam. I can wear them for hours without having to get annoyed from comfort. This is clearly my best buy of electronics in a long time, even not been so hungry after new headphones this year because of it.

Had a really funny/annoying conversation with the seller in a store where Iwas about to buy my new speakers in, he was so sure that the Beats in the store where many leagues away apart from the Mad Dog since it was a t50rp mod. Had to take it into the store and let him try, and he only smiles to me and says: why do you even have this **** and paid so much when you could have gotten beats. I just left the store and bought the speakers from another city 40min away.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #94 of 3,203
Quote:

The Mad Dog makes my days so much better at the library while reading up on my elctronics exam. I can wear them for hours without having to get annoyed from comfort. This is clearly my best buy of electronics in a long time, even not been so hungry after new headphones this year because of it.

Had a really funny/annoying conversation with the seller in a store where Iwas about to buy my new speakers in, he was so sure that the Beats in the store where many leagues away apart from the Mad Dog since it was a t50rp mod. Had to take it into the store and let him try, and he only smiles to me and says: why do you even have this **** and paid so much when you could have gotten beats. I just left the store and bought the speakers from another city 40min away.

Well... some people just like them Beats... :wink:
I didn't find their Studio Pro's that bad...

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #95 of 3,203
Was the solo hd and one more mixr. Studio pro ain't bad but for the money I would call them bad.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #96 of 3,203
Quote:
Anyone driving their Mad Dog's off the headphone out of a vintage receiver? 

If so, comments please - especially with regards to the bass depth compared to both a more 'bassy phone' if you have one and compared to an amp you used in the past.

Thanks.

I've used the MD with a couple of vintage receivers. I have my own 25 year old Denon and recently I got to try my hand with a really nice Sansui circa 1978 at a local meet. 

The MD loves the power on my old Denon. The dynamics are good and the receiver gives the MD a warmer sound. The bass is punchier but not as tight as with my primary setup...either lyr or A2 with the bifrost. 

The Sasui is able to bring out a better overall sound signature than the old Denon, A2 and is right there with the lyr. The sound you get with the lyr and MD will of course be somewhat dependent on the tubes selected. 

So the  short answer is that the MD responds very well to vintage receivers. 

gL!!

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #97 of 3,203
Quote:

Glad you liked the review. Thanks

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #100 of 3,203
If you're asking about desktop amps, best bang for the buck IMO is the Asgard2. Nice and punchy with good overall resolution and texture. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #105 of 3,203
But why would anyone only own one pair of hp's to use it with. 
size]

I have MD+hd650+gr07. The A2 works beautifully with each one. This is headfi man. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back