**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,597 of 3,203
Why did the price jump up to $450? I thought when the sale ends it will be only $379.

The price is the same, we simply reconfigured our store so the cable price is included and you select your cable. It was very confusing to people to have to order a cable, and to have to sort through all the options.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,598 of 3,203
glad I jumped on it. I will make plans to upgrade to the AD as soon as I find out something on an option

The price is the same, we simply reconfigured our store so the cable price is included and you select your cable. It was very confusing to people to have to order a cable, and to have to sort through all the options.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,600 of 3,203
For weeks now I've been trying to pick out what might be my last pair of closed headphones.  The Mad Dog at $299 looks really intriguing to me.  One question though-  how well do they seal out external noise?

I like to play atmospheric first person games like Stalker, Skyrim, and Bioshock Infinite, but the fans on my gaming PC are a bit loud. 

I have some Shure SRH840s, and to me they seal out noise quite well.  So if the Mad Dogs quiet things down to that level, I'll be happy.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,601 of 3,203
  Anyone know an online store in europe where I can get a new cable for my Mad Dogs? Preferably with a 3.5mm plug.

Cheers!

You can order a V-Moda Audio Only cable from the V-Moda website, they ship to Europe. The shipping costs are reasonable.
http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,602 of 3,203
  For weeks now I've been trying to pick out what might be my last pair of closed headphones.  The Mad Dog at $299 looks really intriguing to me.  One question though-  how well do they seal out external noise?

I like to play atmospheric first person games like Stalker, Skyrim, and Bioshock Infinite, but the fans on my gaming PC are a bit loud. 

I have some Shure SRH840s, and to me they seal out noise quite well.  So if the Mad Dogs quiet things down to that level, I'll be happy.

they seal out noise fairly well but leak  a little.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,604 of 3,203
Are there graphs that show the frequency response difference between the t50rp and mad dogs?

I just can't get over that t50rp are only $100 cans modded to be over $300. Someone please explain to me. I want the MDP but is it worth the full $450 or should I pay more and get HE-500s or less and get the HE-400s.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,605 of 3,203
Are there graphs that show the frequency response difference between the t50rp and mad dogs?

I just can't get over that t50rp are only $100 cans modded to be over $300. Someone please explain to me. I want the MDP but is it worth the full $450 or should I pay more and get HE-500s or less and get the HE-400s.

For your information MDP only have rubber headband labeled Fostex and the driver from T50RP all other parts such as comfort strap, earpads called Dog pads, cups where drivers resides and tunning are Dan's creations for which he many hundreds hours of trials and errors plus investment in 3D printing for the cups same ones as in AD. You also have 14 days to try them and can return them if you don't like but i would recommend you also order dog treats tunning kit and try additional tunning before you give up

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #2,606 of 3,203

The HE-400 and HE-500 are obsolete and being replaced by the HE-400i and HE-560 (I have not heard the latter two).

The HE-400 are not as good as any of the current production Mad Dog models .

The HE-500 are a different sound than the Mad Dog models.  The Alpha Dogs are better than the HE-500 in some aspects.

The HE's are open (no isolation), the Dogs are closed (very good isolation).

A lot of it is a matter of personal taste, and preferred music.

As of 2014, graphs are helpful in designing audio gear, but still cannot yet predict sound quality. Maybe some day...

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #2,607 of 3,203

That's because the drivers are only 1/2 the story. The housing, the material, etc. can change signature quite a bit. In fact, even just changing the pads could change the signature considerably.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,608 of 3,203
@tehsprayer
No offense to anyone but if it were me I would pick the he500 over all of these. There is nothing like open sound. Even if the AD had things better about it the open sound of the he500 along with its balance and wonderful mids is very much worth the little price over the MD Pro. I like the MD pro a lot. 

- If I wasnt dying to hear the hd650 on crack
- wasnt waiting to hear the he400i
- had to choose between open or closed. 

I would pick the he500. Actually if the 650 and speedball and crack dont wow me then I will go for the AD/or ZMF vibro for closed back and an he 560/400i open back.

choosing one only would definitely be open.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,609 of 3,203
Hey Dan, a couple people have asked me this question and I don't know how accurate my response is. What's the main difference between the MD 3.1 and the 3.2? It seems the 3.1 was not available for very long and was a quick transition from 3->3.2. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back