**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,311 of 3,203
Hmm...will you be doing upgrades at the So.Cal meet?

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,312 of 3,203
Hey Dan,

Will the MDP also be upgradable to the ADs if we so chose? And if so, will the upgrade from an MDP to an AD be any different in price than upgrading to the AD from any other iterations (3.0 for example)?

Very excited! Thanks so much.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,314 of 3,203
Uhh, i think you can upgrade an MD to an MD Pro, unless I'm misinterpreting you or the website.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,315 of 3,203
  Just to be clear, you can't upgrade a regular MD to MD Pro but you can buy a MD Pro that terminates single ended, but you just have to buy a cable on top of that.

Nope, a regular Mad Dog can be upgraded to the Pro.  You terminate with whatever cable you want, the upgrade price includes one cable.  

Right now you can upgrade from a Mad Dog to a Pro or Alpha.  Eventually we may offer the Pro to Alpha, if there's interest.  If there is an upgrade path from the pro to the Alpha it can't be cost-neutral due to the expensive cable in the Pro.  The amount is TBD.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,316 of 3,203
Hmm...will you be doing upgrades at the So.Cal meet?

As always I will do free upgrades to 3.2 (if you don't have Alpha Pads you do need to purchase those, please PM me first so I have them with me) at the meet.  

The Pro upgrade needs to be done at the shop.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2,317 of 3,203
It's nice to see the line growing. Congrats Dan for your new baby 
beerchug.gif

Just out of curiosity: how did you retrofit the AD's pad mounting mechanism on the Fostex cups? Did you 3D print the cups?

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,318 of 3,203

Nope, a regular Mad Dog can be upgraded to the Pro.  You terminate with whatever cable you want, the upgrade price includes one cable.  

Right now you can upgrade from a Mad Dog to a Pro or Alpha.  Eventually we may offer the Pro to Alpha, if there's interest.  If there is an upgrade path from the pro to the Alpha it can't be cost-neutral due to the expensive cable in the Pro.  The amount is TBD.

Oh maybe I misinterpreted what mechgamer123 asked.. I took from your reply that only the Balanced/Universal Mad Dogs could be upgraded to Mad Dog Pro's, but unbalanced/regular SE Mad Dogs can't be upgraded to Pro.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,319 of 3,203
I haven't put an upgrade price up for balanced/universal to Pro but it's probable we'll add that if there's interest.  Probably balanced owners would want to wait to hear from some of the people who have the Pros on the way before deciding.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2,321 of 3,203
Man I'm stoked about the MDP. Is the termination of the MDP the same as the MD's or can I use the same AD cables with the MDPs?

No I'm not trying to skip out of buying a cable but it may give me more cable options - balanced cable that's swappable between the MDP & ADs in addition to my current AD single ended cables.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,322 of 3,203
  Dan,

is it possible to have dual exit cable on the MDP?

thanks...

Nope...  That'd drive the price up to Alpha.  Too much parts and labor, more expensive cable.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2,323 of 3,203
Man I'm stoked about the MDP. Is the termination of the MDP the same as the MD's or can I use the same AD cables with the MDPs?

No I'm not trying to skip out of buying a cable but it may give me more cable options - balanced cable that's swappable between the MDP & ADs in addition to my current AD single ended cables.

The MDP uses a single termination, it's not swappable with the Alpha.  

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,324 of 3,203
Hey Dan,

Coming from a 3.0 MD, how dramatic would the transition to the Pro be?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,325 of 3,203
So I just got my Mad Dogs in, and I was really hoping they wouldn't sound good, so I don't keep them... but apparently the hype is not unsubstantiated. Drats. They're much much better than I expected, after my previous experience with T50RPs, other mods and DIY thunderpants.

While I'm here, is there a recommended method for bending the brass sliders? I need to bring the bottoms of the cups closer together so they fit the shape of my head when extended to size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back