**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,851 of 3,203
can I assume Mad dog pro to be a nice basshead headphone compared to mad dog 3.2

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2,853 of 3,203
  I suggest listening to this song with your Mad Dogs if you got them. (and especially if you have the O2/ODAC combo) I do notice though, how revealing the Mad Dogs are now, you really need to have quality recordings to enjoy them.

M Ward - Undertaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK4TiglUd5E

M Ward's music is very intimate sounding and well-suited for closed headphones.  It really shines with the Mad Dogs.  Thanks for sharing.  I added 3 of his albums to my Google Music access to listen to when I shuffle my library.  Similar style to Iron & Wine.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,854 of 3,203
  can I assume Mad dog pro to be a nice basshead headphone compared to mad dog 3.2

From what I've read, which is a lot, and based on my own MD 3.2, I can't imagine that any Mr. Speakers headphones would even remotely be considered basshead headphones.  That said, I think the 3.2 sounds wonderful with many basshead music genres, and the Pro should only improve on this feature.  Everything seems flat at the lowest frequency range, with no humps or emphasis in sub-bass or bass.   "Bassheads" typically expect a bit of a boost in the lower frequencies...or an enormous boost. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #2,855 of 3,203
  From what I've read, which is a lot, and based on my own MD 3.2, I can't imagine that any Mr. Speakers headphones would even remotely be considered basshead headphones.  That said, I think the 3.2 sounds wonderful with many basshead music genres, and the Pro should only improve on this feature.  Everything seems flat at the lowest frequency range, with no humps or emphasis in sub-bass or bass.   "Bassheads" typically expect a bit of a boost in the lower frequencies...or an enormous boost. 

I concur.  The MD 3.2s are much more like Audeze headphones than they're like Sony XB series headphones, for example.  I would even go so far as to say Denon D2Ks are more of a basshead can than the MD 3.2s.  (I would go so far as to say this because I'm borrowing a pair of Denons at the moment and I'm doing a head-to-head comparison with my MDs as I write this.)

The MDs are totally competent with any and all bass-heavy genres but as sonitus says, they're not boosted in the bass at all.  If anything...gun to my head...I find that the MDs are mid-heavy.  And that's a huge stretch to say that.   

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,856 of 3,203
I concur.  The MD 3.2s are much more like Audeze headphones than they're like Sony XB series headphones, for example.  I would even go so far as to say Denon D2Ks are more of a basshead can than the MD 3.2s.  (I would go so far as to say this because I'm borrowing a pair of Denons at the moment and I'm doing a head-to-head comparison with my MDs as I write this.)

The MDs are totally competent with any and all bass-heavy genres but as sonitus says, they're not boosted in the bass at all.  If anything...gun to my head...I find that the MDs are mid-heavy.  And that's a huge stretch to say that.   

I think some of the upper bass is boosted comparatively though.

Shame there's not a whole lot about the Mad Dog Pros yet. Since it says they have more bass especially sub bass, they may be one of the best bass oriented headphones.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,857 of 3,203

can u write how they compare and which like more

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,858 of 3,203
The beauty of the MDs is that they are so competent in every way.  If you throw bass at them, they don't amp it up and overemphasize it...they just reproduce it the way it should sound.  Big, overemphasized bass from basshead cans hits you like a fist - and don't get me wrong...sometimes that's what you want - but it doesn't have any texture.  The MDs will hit you with that same fist but in such a way that you'll be able to describe the feel of the knuckles against your jaw afterward.

I think people hear how dark the MDs are and that somehow triggers this idea that they're bassy.  I agree 100% that they're dark-sounding but when it comes to bass, there's a difference between a very big driver moving a lot of air with great control and a transducer system that was made to rattle your teeth on command.  The Denon D2Ks do sub-bass like few other cans out there but the mids are extremely thin and anemic-sounding.  Compared to the MDs, that is.  Both cans have great bass but the MDs are a hell of a lot more even-sounding.     

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,859 of 3,203
I'm kind of a beginner to headphones, and have a question for you experts here. If I pick up a pair of Mad Dog Pro's, I'd like to swap out the cable for a longer one. I know I could use an extension cable, but I'd rather stick with one cable if possible. Could anyone tell me what type of cable I should look for?  Does the connector that goes into the headphone have to be a specific type? I don't need anything crazy or expensive, just a cable with some flexibility and maybe 10-15' length.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,860 of 3,203
I'm kind of a beginner to headphones, and have a question for you experts here. If I pick up a pair of Mad Dog Pro's, I'd like to swap out the cable for a longer one. I know I could use an extension cable, but I'd rather stick with one cable if possible. Could anyone tell me what type of cable I should look for?  Does the connector that goes into the headphone have to be a specific type? I don't need anything crazy or expensive, just a cable with some flexibility and maybe 10-15' length.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
It's just a 3.5mm semi right angled connector. The catch is that the jack is recessed so the cable terminal needs to be smaller than 8mm.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #2,862 of 3,203
Thanks a lot; that makes sense. Any suggestions on where I could find some cables that fit? I appreciate the help.
If you're looking for coiled: http://v-moda.com/coilpro-cable/

Focal has very good straight 4M cables, but I don't know where to buy.

Neither are right angled I believe. Since the jack is on the left earcup sticking out the side, a right angled cable will probably last longer, as well as look better.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,865 of 3,203
Really thinking about upgrading my 3.2s to the mad dogs, but have a few concerns. I really enjoy the 3.5 cable on the regular mad dogs. Would I be missing out on some sound quality by not going with the 1/4" with the pro? I like bottom end, but I'll be picking up some he400s soon for my open set, and the 3.2 excels in the mids compared to the 400s (or so I've read anyway) and just want to make sure the pros will continue to have the same midrange the 3.2 do.

This is all going through a modi > magni and modi > little dot 1+

I play indie and acoustic stuff and then some electro that's still very vocal centric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back