**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 22, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2,837 of 3,203
FWIW, my Mad Dog (even v3.2) had strident, peaky highs. Somehow I got used to this at first and didn't really notice it until coming back to them after months of trying out other, more neutral headphones. I whipped up my own front damping tweaks, utilizing my own version of a "dot" tweak and a few other things, and it made a world of difference. Certainly worth considering if you want smoother, more relaxed highs. Dan's solution works well if you're not the DIY type.

A better DAC/amp may help in the end as well, but I do believe most of what you mentioned is simply inherent to the Mad Dog (and other T50RP mod variants).

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #2,839 of 3,203
I got myself a pair for the office for the comfort and isolation (and sound obviously). Straight out of my laptop they sounded strangely sibilant and fatiguing so I figured I needed an external solution and found a second hand uDAC2 (32€!!) and it works marvelously. Would recommend for anyone looking for a cheap, compact solution for the Dawgs.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,841 of 3,203
was wondering if anyone can tell me how the mad dogs 3.2 compare to vmoda m100

I owned the mad dogs and sold them to get the audeze and I figured it has way less bass so I am in search for an audiophile headphone, and because i know the sound sig of mad dog can anyone tell me if the vmoda is an upgrade or downgrade is I am looking for full bass, warm, detailed sound without the shouty mids and highs

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,842 of 3,203

I owned the mad dogs and sold them to get the audeze and I figured it has way less bass so I am in search for an audiophile headphone, and because i know the sound sig of mad dog can anyone tell me if the vmoda is an upgrade or downgrade is I am looking for full bass, warm, detailed sound without the shouty mids and highs
Not a comparison really, but he reviews both.
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/01/05/sub-500-closed-back-headphone-roundup/

I would say the m100 is probably a downgrade. Judging by reviews of d600 vs m100 and d600 vs Mad Dog.

Edit: completely forgot to link the page aha.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #2,843 of 3,203

Are you saying that the audeze or the mad dogs have less bass? Because if its the former, that's not true, as the lcd-2s have very good sub-bass response, but less of a mid-bass hump; which is probably what you were hearing.

According to the graphs, the m100 should have slightly peakier treble than the mad dogs, but less mids at the same time.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,844 of 3,203
My daughter was very impressed with the Mad Dogs as she listened to her favorite tracks from the Frozen soundtrack. No idea how those got on my X3. :smirk:

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,845 of 3,203
  Are you saying that the audeze or the mad dogs have less bass? Because if its the former, that's not true, as the lcd-2s have very good sub-bass response, but less of a mid-bass hump; which is probably what you were hearing.

According to the graphs, the m100 should have slightly peakier treble than the mad dogs, but less mids at the same time.

so which frwuencies should i raise for good mid bass on audeze

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,847 of 3,203
  so which frwuencies should i raise for good mid bass on audeze

I don't really know what to tell you, as the lower end response of the lcd2 is already one the best sounding, dark headphones out there. Maybe 50hz-300hz like the xcs? Or just turn it to 11 on the lower end, like Hapster said.

On another note. Serious question. Have you ever considered beats? If you need that much lower end emphasis.

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #2,849 of 3,203
Has anyone replaced their 'stock' cable on their
MD's with an aftermarket cable? If so, who makes one for the MD's and what are your impressions?

Thanks, Jeff

Which version? With the new connector or 3.5mm?

I made one a long while ago with a right-angled 3.5mm plug. It was a copper cable. I've also listened with silver cables I've made for other purposes. Not really worth the money, especially from a boutique cable company. You'll end up spending almost the cost of the can for minimal gain of any.

The Vmoda audio cable that Dan ships with them gets the job done: Light, flexible, feels good and sounds good.

Now, if you need a cable for a very specific length, weight, and/or style, then that is a good reason to justify the money. If you have the universal connector version, then there are lots of options. If you have the 3.5mm then it's a pain because most plugs will need to be modified to fit.
Brian at BTG-audio is a good place to start and not end up emptying your wallet.
Alternatively, you could commission a member that makes cables. Lots of guys do here and one might be willing.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,850 of 3,203
I just received my O2/ODAC combo and hooked up my Mad Dogs to them.
beyersmile.png
I'm quite happy now!

It's now very clear how poorly the uDac2 were driving the Mad Dogs. The highs are not nearly as strident, bass is much more in control and present. Mids/vocals are glorious, everything just improved.
I suggest listening to this song with your Mad Dogs if you got them. (and especially if you have the O2/ODAC combo) I do notice though, how revealing the Mad Dogs are now, you really need to have quality recordings to enjoy them.

M Ward - Undertaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK4TiglUd5E

*edit* This album may be even better to demonstrate how good the Mad Dogs can sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pZSQ3NOXbQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back