**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 17, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #2,176 of 3,203
  Probably not, because they could accomplish the same thing by either a) using EQ for free, or b) upgrading to Alpha Dogs which are brighter and have more micro-detail.

1) EQ are distorters, unless its from the ware, such as a bass boost switch on an amp.
2) Alpha Dogs are too expensive:frowning2:

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #2,177 of 3,203
Then I would say they are defective.   The Alpha Dogs are a hair faster,  but the Mad Dog midrange is much more like the actual master tape than the Denon D2000 (for example).  If something is more "liquid", then it would be an added distortion.
Nope they are not defective I've had a few pairs and this is the sound. They are a more laid back sound. I prefer my Denons, I find them a bit cleaner sounding too but they both are for different useses.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,178 of 3,203

Then I would say they are defective.   The Alpha Dogs are a hair faster,  but the Mad Dog midrange is much more like the actual master tape than the Denon D2000 (for example).  If something is more "liquid", then it would be an added distortion.

Nope they are not defective I've had a few pairs and this is the sound. They are a more laid back sound. I prefer my Denons, I find them a bit cleaner sounding too but they both are for different useses.

A more laid back sound IS faster.

The planar driver does the attack of the note and then stops.   The dynamic driver does the attack and then is still moving around, blurring the sound and causing distortion.  That distortion is "exciting" because it is more stuff going on.   The laid back, undistorted driver is making less sound because it is faster.

It is Bruce Lee vs Stupid Guy.   In the blink of an eye, Bruce Lee has quickly whacked the other guy and then is "laid back" waiting.  Stupid Guy is moving around, talking trash, wasting energy, and his slow strikes are easily avoided, and then Bruce Lee quickly goes "whack"....

Denons are famous for more bass, though, of course.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,179 of 3,203
  A more laid back sound IS faster.

The planar driver does the attack of the note and then stops.   The dynamic driver does the attack and then is still moving around, blurring the sound and causing distortion.  That distortion is "exciting" because it is more stuff going on.   The laid back, undistorted driver is making less sound because it is faster.

It is Bruce Lee vs Stupid Guy.   In the blink of an eye, Bruce Lee has quickly whacked the other guy and then is "laid back" waiting.  Stupid Guy is moving around, talking trash, wasting energy, and his slow strikes are easily avoided, and then Bruce Lee quickly goes "whack"....

Denons are famous for more bass, though, of course.

I think your definition of "laid-back" differs to what I (and probably others) usually use... and it doesn't have anything to do with "driver attack"... ...

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

So I guess that the previous poster wants to say is that the MDs are "mellow-er"...

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2,180 of 3,203

I disagree.  The MD is more like a slower, older Chuck Norris, but still effective.  :)  No MD or Alpha Dog is as fast as Bruce Lee.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,181 of 3,203
The "attack of the note" is probably a reference to Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release envelope of music instruments.  If comparing this to the audio output of the headphones, I suppose the cup of the AD does improve the bass frequency decay over the MD cup, which might have something to do with what is implied as being mellower sounding.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #2,183 of 3,203

The Alpha Dog to me is a lot faster than the MD. I can definitely understand why someone would think the MD is sluggish and slow. It is a laid back sound that isn't going to be perceived as fast. I would agree in comparison to some other headphones, the MD is slow. Not to be taken as a bad thing at all, just a signature. I would relate the comparison to something like an HE-6 vs LCD-2

How can it be a faster headphone when it uses the exact same driver?  There's a difference between sounding faster and being faster.  

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,188 of 3,203
like hitting with a stiffer tennis racket. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,189 of 3,203
Without digging in the technical aspects, I'd agree that the AD sounds faster with quicker decay than the MD. The MD may still have the better appeal depending on your preference. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,190 of 3,203
Strange situation/question for the experts here:

I LOVE my Mad Dogs, but I'm worried about my new titanium glasses cutting them, with the ends of the ear arm things. So worried, in fact, that I've even put them up for trade for a Philips X1, but I would really miss them. Have any of you noticed any trouble with glasses with these, or should I just chill? Also, I got the 840 replacement pads to try, and they're more comfortable, but I notice a drop in bass. Or am I stupid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back