**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 30, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,951 of 3,203
  Guys do Mad Dogs sound good with iPhone or not? I want to use them as my portable and don't want to spend anymore money on anything else. Thanks.

Yeah, they'll sound fine. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #1,952 of 3,203
  Guys do Mad Dogs sound good with iPhone or not? I want to use them as my portable and don't want to spend anymore money on anything else. Thanks.

Yeah, they'll sound fine. 

+1. If you don't want to spend any money on an external amplifier right now, they'll still sound good. I've run them out of iPod Classic's hp out and I still enjoyed the sound.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,953 of 3,203
Out of my ipod classic, They sound boring, flat(not in a good way) Plug in even a fiio e5/e6 and they come to life and it only gets better with better equipment. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,954 of 3,203
I didn't say they sound great that way, but they definitely don't sound boring to me either. And if this person doesn't want to spend any extra money on additional gear, I see no reason why that should discourage him/her from purchasing a fantastic pair of headphones.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,955 of 3,203
I can't get a decent volume out of the iphone4s

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,956 of 3,203
I can't get a decent volume out of the iphone4s

How loud do you listen to your music?
@miceblue was able to get my MDs to their preferred listening volume at 2/3 volume on the 4S.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #1,957 of 3,203
Thank you guys for the feedback, I think I will not buy the headphones based on what I've read.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,959 of 3,203
How loud do you listen to your music?
@miceblue
 was able to get my MDs to their preferred listening volume at 2/3 volume on the 4S.

I don't think I listen to it that loud but it's more than a few clicks below listenable even on maximum for me on the 4s.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,960 of 3,203
I actually haven't listened to the iPhone for a while since I got the DX50s so I tried them out again and I actually get slightly below the volume I would normally listen to on most tracks with the volume at maximum, so 2/3 volume is way way too quiet. I must be quite deaf

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,961 of 3,203
  Quick question on the hirose connector.

It seems that I can twist the cable right below the hirose male plug while it's connected to the MD. Is this normal?

There is a locking screw that is supposed to minimize twist.  A minor rotation is possible because the housing is rubber and will flex, but if it really is moving freely there is a problem and if you twist it you will break the cable for sure, so please don't.  
tongue_smile.gif

There are two ways to handle this:

1) Pull the rubber boot down and tighten the small screw as much as possible.  I'm assuming it came a bit loose.  If you have any problem doing this we'll warranty it.  

2) Let us replace your cable and return the bad one to us.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,962 of 3,203
  Guys, I am really trying to decide if I should upgrade/get the Mad Dog's balanced version as I am on the single ended right now. I recently got the NFB-28 and wanted to utilize to its full potential. Although, that will prevent me from comparing my new amp/DAC with my old Schiit Magni/Modi stack (and possibly the Bitfrost/Asgard), I am curious if its worth it. I was planning on sending my old SE Mad Dogs in, whenever I can upgrade them.

Actually, scratch the "I am curious if its worth it". I would like to know is there a noticeable difference. If so, in what way?

I recommendation is to go with the balanced cable. My experience with the NFB series amps, I owned the 6, was that there was a significant improvement when using the balanced out. Plus the MD will respond well to balanced power. Go for it!!

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,963 of 3,203

I recommendation is to go with the balanced cable. My experience with the NFB series amps, I owned the 6, was that there was a significant improvement when using the balanced out. Plus the MD will respond well to balanced power. Go for it!!

Thanks MattTCG. I got a little impatient and ordered one anyways, after searching a bit more in this thread of course. I didn't find much but from what I gathered, it seemed some preferred the balanced XLR cable over the single ended. I know the NFB-28 I have puts out more power under balance mode, and want to make use of the NFB-28 balanced setup anyways. Just will wait some more to upgrade my Mad Dog's single ended to Alpha Dogs.

It's just nice that both headphones have the option to swap out Single-ended and balance cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back