**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,921 of 3,203
hmmm. For me, the difference between M50s and MDs aren't big enough to justify keeping the MD I think. I'll try it for 4-5 more days to adjust to it more and see where I go from there. I'm probably more of a basshead so I think I'll stick with the M50s in the end. The MDs are really comfortable though. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,922 of 3,203
  hmmm. For me, the difference between M50s and MDs aren't big enough to justify keeping the MD I think. I'll try it for 4-5 more days to adjust to it more and see where I go from there. I'm probably more of a basshead so I think I'll stick with the M50s in the end. The MDs are really comfortable though. 

They are different, to be sure, but I'm probably one of the few that would understand your reasoning.  Having both the M50 and MD, may I suggest listening to some streaming radio stations, preferably something that offers higher quality files, such as MOG music, Spotify, or Google Play all access.  Most offer a trial period, at least in the US. 

The reason I suggest this is because most of my music that I was listening to prior to getting the Mad Dogs was discovered with the M50 or Denon D5000.  The songs I enjoyed the most sounded great with these headphones, which tend to have a V-shaped sound signature when compared to the Mad Dogs.  I have since "rediscovered" some old favorites and found a bunch of new music that sounds very sweet with the Mad Dogs, where this music loses a bit when listened to on my other headphones.  And while you may not notice much of a difference with the songs you've been listening to with the M50, you might be surprised about how different some other music sounds between the Mad Dog and M50.  

If you aren't already doing so, explore some new music, or go back and try some old songs that may have lost their spunk.  The Mad Dogs have taken some music that was previously only ok to me and made it sound very special.  For me, the Mad Dogs shine with Jazz and Latin genres.  I've also found that I really enjoy classical guitar and various folk music significantly more with the Mad Dogs.

With regards to the differences between the Mad Dogs and M50, I feel that I am not losing much with some songs, but I'm gaining so much more with others.  If that makes any sense. 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,923 of 3,203

They are different, to be sure, but I'm probably one of the few that would understand your reasoning.  Having both the M50 and MD, may I suggest listening to some streaming radio stations, preferably something that offers higher quality files, such as MOG music, Spotify, or Google Play all access.  Most offer a trial period, at least in the US. 

The reason I suggest this is because most of my music that I was listening to prior to getting the Mad Dogs was discovered with the M50 or Denon D5000.  The songs I enjoyed the most sounded great with these headphones, which tend to have a V-shaped sound signature when compared to the Mad Dogs.  I have since "rediscovered" some old favorites and found a bunch of new music that sounds very sweet with the Mad Dogs, where this music loses a bit when listened to on my other headphones.  And while you may not notice much of a difference with the songs you've been listening to with the M50, you might be surprised about how different some other music sounds between the Mad Dog and M50.  

If you aren't already doing so, explore some new music, or go back and try some old songs that may have lost their spunk.  The Mad Dogs have taken some music that was previously only ok to me and made it sound very special.  For me, the Mad Dogs shine with Jazz and Latin genres.  I've also found that I really enjoy classical guitar and various folk music significantly more with the Mad Dogs.

With regards to the differences between the Mad Dogs and M50, I feel that I am not losing much with some songs, but I'm gaining so much more with others.  If that makes any sense. 
confused_face_2.gif

ohh that is a good idea haha. I will continue testing them out. I think my ears just aren't used to distinguishing them yet. Thanks for the tip

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,926 of 3,203
Make sure that the headphones are placed correctly on your head.  Previous users have changed the position and found much better bass response.

Try moving them up or down on the sliders and move the positions otherwise....

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,928 of 3,203
  It should already be in-line with the mids.

So how do these compare to the HE 400? I'm trying to find a closed compliment for my HE 400 

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,929 of 3,203
I wrote a comparison in the HE-400 thread and added some of my buddy's comments of his own (it was his Mad Dogs, and I let him my HE-400 to let him compare first, then he sent them over to me to compare).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/11145#post_9574539

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,930 of 3,203
  I wrote a comparison in the HE-400 thread and added some of my buddy's comments of his own (it was his Mad Dogs, and I let him my HE-400 to let him compare first, then he sent them over to me to compare).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/11145#post_9574539

I see, but u used a Magni... what a shame. Any how Dan recommend balanced for the best experince. HE enjoyed the Pb2 combo I belive. That said, hopefully I'll enjoy them for closed EDM with my Pb1... and at home the cold 10ES2 might match them really well 

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,931 of 3,203
Yes, but I used magni/modi single ended for both the he-400 and mad dogs alike, so they're both on the same level of play regardless.  It's not like I was running an he-400 out of a balanced mjolnir and the mad dogs out of a magni.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,932 of 3,203
  Yes, but I used magni/modi single ended for both the he-400 and mad dogs alike, so they're both on the same level of play regardless.  It's not like I was running an he-400 out of a balanced mjolnir and the mad dogs out of a magni.

Indeed, but the Mad Dog does need a little more power than the Magni has to open up... I ran into a simmilar issue with poor bass performance and thick sound when I under drove mine 

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,934 of 3,203

Indeed, but the Mad Dog does need a little more power than the Magni has to open up... I ran into a simmilar issue with poor bass performance and thick sound when I under drove mine 

Actually the HE-400 does not work well with the Magni.  I have the HE-400, and tried it with the Magni.  After I tried the Magni, Headfonia.com reviewed it  and their reviewer Julius had exactly the same impression:
" I would not call the Magni a great match up for this Hifiman headphone, it just lacks the bass quantity to get the job done by itself." and
" Sadly, the HE-400 really showcases too much sibilance with the Magni for my ears. "
This shows you that the numeric power rating by itself is not sufficient.
Both the HE-400 work significantly better with more power and quality, but interestingly, this is even more true of the HE-400.  You never hear this, because the HE-500 are so famous, that most people with the money for a good amplifier, buys the HE-500 instead of the HE-400.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,935 of 3,203
  Actually the HE-400 does not work well with the Magni.  I have the HE-400, and tried it with the Magni.  After I tried the Magni, Headfonia.com reviewed it  and their reviewer Julius had exactly the same impression:
" I would not call the Magni a great match up for this Hifiman headphone, it just lacks the bass quantity to get the job done by itself." and
" Sadly, the HE-400 really showcases too much sibilance with the Magni for my ears. "
This shows you that the numeric power rating by itself is not sufficient.
Both the HE-400 work significantly better with more power and quality, but interestingly, this is even more true of the HE-400.  You never hear this, because the HE-500 are so famous, that most people with the money for a good amplifier, buys the HE-500 instead of the HE-400.

I use a PA2v2 with my mad dogs. How do I know if it is enough to drive it? I get enough volume, but I prefer some more soundstage. Would soundstage improve if the mad dogs are paired well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back