**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,936 of 3,203
So here's where I'm at:

I'm 80% sure that I will keep these headphones. Everything about it awesome, except for the bass on some "basshead" songs. The bass isn't consistent to my tastes through those songs.

However, with that said, the rest of my songs sound amazing. This is the main reason why I will more than likely keep these cans.

With that said, this is more than likely a sound signature conflict since it looks like I prefer a v sound signature.

TL;DR: Some "basshead" songs aren't amazing. Everything else is.

On a side note: I'm currently thinking of modding my DT770; single entry recable + grado sr-125 driver. I heard this brings up the mids, warms it a bit, and refines the bass.

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,938 of 3,203
  Actually the HE-400 does not work well with the Magni.  I have the HE-400, and tried it with the Magni.  After I tried the Magni, Headfonia.com reviewed it  and their reviewer Julius had exactly the same impression:
" I would not call the Magni a great match up for this Hifiman headphone, it just lacks the bass quantity to get the job done by itself." and
" Sadly, the HE-400 really showcases too much sibilance with the Magni for my ears. "
This shows you that the numeric power rating by itself is not sufficient.
Both the HE-400 work significantly better with more power and quality, but interestingly, this is even more true of the HE-400.  You never hear this, because the HE-500 are so famous, that most people with the money for a good amplifier, buys the HE-500 instead of the HE-400.

I found that as well, the balanced HE 400 out of the Audio GD 10ES2 [same as my Dt 880] gained a little more sound stage and more define and focused sound over all, and both got a tighter and weighter bass. 

I use a PA2v2 with my mad dogs. How do I know if it is enough to drive it? I get enough volume, but I prefer some more soundstage. Would soundstage improve if the mad dogs are paired well?

More than likey yea, the differance is only marginal... we talking out of 20 songs you'll notice one sounds SERIOUSLY better 

still... I like the MD for comfort and ioslation... utility wise it was great... I guess I just want to give it the BEST possible chance to sound well to my ears good.

THe biggest piece of advice in this hobby would be to enjoy your gear. IF you like it, then just simply enjoy it! If your MD out of the PA2v2 sounds good to you, then just enjoy it! Eventually you might have enough cash on hand to make it sound better, but again. If you like it not, don't worry to much about upgrades 

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,939 of 3,203
  So here's where I'm at:

I'm 80% sure that I will keep these headphones. Everything about it awesome, except for the bass on some "basshead" songs. The bass isn't consistent to my tastes through those songs.

I addition to what I had mentioned earlier, make sure you're getting a good seal. You'd be surprised how often people assumed they were getting a good seal but in fact were not. Glasses can cause problems if you wear them. Not sure about various hair styles and lengths or types. Sometimes the headband needs adjusted for a better fit. The cups might also be too high or low on your ears.

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,940 of 3,203
For my tastes, I actually find the bass of the MD a little too accentuated. It's one reason that I'm looking forward to ordering the AD upgrade for one of my pairs when the queue shortens to a month or so. As it stands, I use the loudness switch on my SX780 and then turn the bass down a notch, which is basically just a strange way of just turning up the treble a notch.

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,941 of 3,203
  Indeed, but the Mad Dog does need a little more power than the Magni has to open up... I ran into a simmilar issue with poor bass performance and thick sound when I under drove mine 

Do you own a Magni?
If you do, and if you own the Mad Dogs and if you think they need more power with the Magni, I think you should check your hearing!

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,942 of 3,203
Guys, the following is my feedback from my audition of the Alpha Dogs that arrived last night.  I'm quite sure the POWER issue gelocks is pointing to, and I experienced firsthand, is quite important in these headphones (both the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog).  This is from post 3361 of http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones/3360 thread.  Wish I now had a Mad Dog to compare to the Alpha but I think the result would be the same - they have ample bass with the right amp pushing them.  Enjoy -

Ok, so the postman finally delivered last night and got them cracked open today after work.
Presentation - amazing. Classy look, well protected foam cutout greets you after you slide the sleeve off the box. Nicely understated appearance. Reminds me of Denon's D7000, not a bad product to emulate. The headphone stand is nice, simple sheet metal, powder coated with the Mr Speakers wording screened. First demerit is the height of the stand. Can't use it with the cables installed. I know what I read as to why (shipping box fit/cost related) but something this amazing in presentation and appearance NEEDS the proper height stand.
Remove the headphones and take in the paint job.........wow. First class. I'm a wood guy (have all three Denon D-XXXX series phones, all with exceptional wood cups) but these are GORGEOUS and classy looking. The black anodized sliders are done perfectly. Very nice and again, understated. Connect the cables.........ok, another incredible job. These are snap on/quick connect and the cables are just the right thickness and flexibility. First class. Perfect execution.
Put them on my head, get the sliders adjusted and take in the feel. Heavy........no doubt they are a bit on the heavy side but I don't think it's too much, and the balance is good. I have a neck issue (spinal stenosis) so I'm careful about weight of my headphones and I think these would be ok. My Denon D7000's are definitely lighter for comparison.
Comfort.......yep, this they have for sure. I'm an Alpha pad fan, have them on four other headphones and think they rock. Headband is good, tho I might add a HD650 pad if/when I get these for myself (I'm listening as part of the audition group). Comfort strap is just right on softness.
Ok, what did I not cover? Oh, yeah, sound. I am a confirmed audiophile basshead and I'm proud to say it. I like a fun V shaped phone, and own a few of the best basshead headphone examples there are, with the Denons at the top of the list. Guys, I drive my music with vintage amps, of which I own FIVE different systems centered around these 1970's solid state amplifiers. They range from a low power Realistic receiver to two midrange Kenwood integrated amps pushing 45 watts per channel up to a Pioneer Spec system, separates that include a 250 WPC amp. Serious power and quality. The headphone outs on these are spectacular, no opamps, just pure power direct off the amp with a resistor in the path.
The Alpha Dogs have been on my head for 25 minutes on my Kenwood amp fed by an iPhone 4. No fancy DAC, just straight into the amp. These sound FANTASTIC and do NOT LACK BASS. They have enough slam to keep me smiling, and frankly I'm surprised. Shocked really. Never thought they would meet my approval. I had a Mad Dog for a few days back in March that completely underwhelmed me to the point of returning them after four days. I was only feeding them with a FiiO E-11 and Digizoid ZO double amped and folks, that didn't cut it. **At the time, this was all I had, before the world of vintage was presented to me. The key is whatever Dan has done to tune these, but more importantly I think is what is feeding them. Powerful amp feeding them and you have a basshead sitting here considering selling his Edition 8 to buy one of these.
They don't sound open at all to me, sound a lot like a nice mostly closed headphone with some good imaging a la the Denons. Good mids, balanced sound to me. Not a golden ears by any measure but know what I like.
Dan, you took a gamble putting me on the audition list. A calculated risk, one you were smart to do, knowing what you know. You have done it. Made a headphone that satisfies a bass craving when fed right. My hat is off to you.
Music pumped through thus far is a range of smooth jazz, with a lot of fast, Bassy artists like Wayman Tisdale, Dave Koz, Paul Hardcastle and Quintin Gerard. More variety of genres and artists tomorrow off the Spec system including Pink Floyd Animals and some vinyl Eagles One of These Nights.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #1,943 of 3,203
Does anyone know if the Mad Dogs pair better with the O2/odac or schiit magni/modi combo? Also with either of these, is there a subtle improvement in sound or is there a noticeable difference after using it with the MDs? Right now I change between Fiio E17 and Pa2v2, but they both only seem to raise the volumes. Fiio E17 can increase the bass a bit.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,944 of 3,203

Do you own a Magni?
If you do, and if you own the Mad Dogs and if you think they need more power with the Magni, I think you should check your hearing!

my hearing is fine. I'm of the opionion everything sounds better balanced, and the cables make a differeance guy so that said... keep in mind i didn't like the MD 3.1 outside of EDM when I had it... and I feel that both my HE 400 and DT 880 got serious improvements drivein out of the balanced OUTPut of the 10ES2, the Balaced out bs the SE out is still a noticeable improvement, and the SE out of the 10ES2 vs the Matrix... the 10ES2 won out by a little. I even Compared the M stage to the 10ES2 using the same dac and again the 10 ES2 over took the matrix 

my point, it seemed at the end of the day, the more power I had on tap for my DT 880 and HE 400 they tighter clear and more conherent sound I got, even with the Matrix on various gain levels, I keep having a slight veil to it, the same veil existed in the SE of the 10ES2 as well. Only the balanced out had a noticeable... clear and more coherent sound to it. 

SO that said, as a guy who did not like the MD... I've got to drive it with the POWER OF ZEUS to make sure It has a 100% chance of being enjoyable the second time around. ANd I think as a PURE edm can it should be most epic [as I can't stand the HE 400 for anything outside of EDM and well there is sits as my most expensive headphones atm ;/] 

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,945 of 3,203
  For my tastes, I actually find the bass of the MD a little too accentuated. It's one reason that I'm looking forward to ordering the AD upgrade for one of my pairs when the queue shortens to a month or so. As it stands, I use the loudness switch on my SX780 and then turn the bass down a notch, which is basically just a strange way of just turning up the treble a notch.

Is there a song where the bass of the MD is quite accentuated that you can tell me? I just got a pair of these and have been upset by the bass since I feel like the bass is so far away while the mids are very prominent. I was thinking that the songs I listen to are probably incompatible with the MDs since overall, it sounds like the music is very far with bass that I can't hear too well. I wouldn't consider myself a complete basshead since I don't like that congested sound. I do like when I feel like I'm immersed in the music, where the vocals are crisp and clear while the bass is separated and deep(not really thumping). For instance, I would listen to a song with MDs, and hear that the vocals are nice. Then when I change to the m50s, I start noticing the bass that I hadn't realized was there when listening to the MDs. I feel like with the MDs, I just get the clear vocals with a bass that's barely noticeable. Compared to my M50s, the bass is overbearing to me in the m50s, but I can hear it so much better (not the thumping parts). I am getting enough volume from my MDs since I use a mac air with a PA2v2, but I don't know if that means I'm driving it correctly. I don't like the music being that loud, but i want to be immersed in it. I don't know if a better amp does this without having to rise the volume higher than the level that I already am listening at. I think the soundstage isn't necessarily where I want to be for the MDs, but it is a closed headphone, so I guess I can't expect too much from it because of that. 

Also, because the bass is less thumpy and noticeable to me, listening to music has been less fatiguing.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,946 of 3,203
Originally Posted by jeffbear7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there a song where the bass of the MD is quite accentuated that you can tell me?

Everyone's collection is different ... but so far for me "Bob Marley - Concrete Jungle".
  it sounds like the music is very far with bass that I can't hear too well.

That sounds like when I have had a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that is not quite pushed together, or not quite pushed into the jack.

Also, remember you need to have the fat part of the pads towards the back of your head.  The pads should be sealed to your head all the way around.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,947 of 3,203
   Is there a song where the bass of the MD is quite accentuated that you can tell me? . . .

I was just observing that my preferred sound signature is not very bassy; you probably just like more bass in your music than I do. Sometimes even I find the bass anemic, especially after a long session with some of my bassier headphones. Overall, though, I just prefer less bass than you.

Besides that, I'd just check that everything in your chain is properly connected and that your music files aren't really low-quality. A PA2V2 isn't exactly the best amp in the world for the MD, but it'll drive them just fine for casual listening.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,948 of 3,203
Guys, I am really trying to decide if I should upgrade/get the Mad Dog's balanced version as I am on the single ended right now. I recently got the NFB-28 and wanted to utilize to its full potential. Although, that will prevent me from comparing my new amp/DAC with my old Schiit Magni/Modi stack (and possibly the Bitfrost/Asgard), I am curious if its worth it. I was planning on sending my old SE Mad Dogs in, whenever I can upgrade them.

Actually, scratch the "I am curious if its worth it". I would like to know is there a noticeable difference. If so, in what way?

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,949 of 3,203
Guys do Mad Dogs sound good with iPhone or not? I want to use them as my portable and don't want to spend anymore money on anything else. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back