MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,652 of 2,843
I finally got my grubby paws on a pair of Ethers. After calling the audio store basically every day, they finally came on the day before I flew back to Japan. 

I listened to them for about 20 minutes in the store, and am listening now. These are the first pair of open-backed headphones I've owned, or even really tried. 

My first impressions are...It's amazing how something so light and comfortable (my other pair of phones are Alpha Primes) can have such amazing substance in the sound. The bass is gut-wrenching, the highs are glittering sparkling jewels, and everything in between seems exactly where it should be. 

Tomorrow I'll try them on the flight back to Japan, and if they're too loud I'll switch to the Primes. 

Edit: One thing I've noticed during preliminary listening. They seem very song-dependent. On some songs, the Ethers seem to be an incremental improvement over the Primes. On other songs, it's a different league entirely. I have yet to identify what distinguishes the former from the latter. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,653 of 2,843

Whatever you do, don't listen to the Ethers on a Schiit Rygg or maxxed WA5. Then you'll be completely screwed. Completely. 
o2smile.gif

+1 well said sir.  I can vouch for how good the Rygg sounds, and I do want to audition the WA5.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,654 of 2,843

You don't think the Liquid Carbon will be bad enough? 

the lc will be the amp that open the gate to hell for your poor wallet.   i suggest you take pictures of your wallet before its endimicly drained by this incredible hobby.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #1,655 of 2,843
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,656 of 2,843
Ha! And a reminder never to make a video while heavily jet-lagged.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,657 of 2,843
Jack Woo from Woo Audio will be at A2A in Sydney tonight with the new wa5. I really want to bring my Ether and have a listen, but i dun want to taste the poison........

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,658 of 2,843
Hello!  New to the site but I've been browsing this thread for a while.  I think I'm ready to take the plunge on the Ether.  For last 10 years I've used IEMs (Shure E2c until my puppy decided it was time for me to graduate to the SE846).  I think the last pair of headphones that I used and liked were Sony's Studio Monitors.  What is really attractive about the Ether is all of the positive comfort impressions.  Anyhow, I just wanted to drop a quick line and say hello. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #1,659 of 2,843
Jack Woo from Woo Audio will be at A2A in Sydney tonight with the new wa5. I really want to bring my Ether and have a listen, but i dun want to taste the poison........

Give in to the temptation :)

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #1,662 of 2,843
  Hello!  New to the site but I've been browsing this thread for a while.  I think I'm ready to take the plunge on the Ether.  For last 10 years I've used IEMs (Shure E2c until my puppy decided it was time for me to graduate to the SE846).  I think the last pair of headphones that I used and liked were Sony's Studio Monitors.  What is really attractive about the Ether is all of the positive comfort impressions.  Anyhow, I just wanted to drop a quick line and say hello. 

Welcome!! Ether would be an epic purchase given your history. Then go buy the carbon from Cavalli and laugh at the rest of us. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,663 of 2,843
I've been running the Ether non-stop since I received them on Tuesday, and giving them a listen last night showed signs of improvement to my ears. The sound was opening up a touch and giving better separation. Dan has suggested 100-200 hours of burn-in, so I'm going to continue letting them cook before I sit down and do any critical listening. The fact that with barely more than a day of burn-in they're already showing improvements holds promise for how they'll sound on my setup after more time. I loved the Ether on Dan's WA5, Liquid Crimson, and Liquid Carbon amps at AXPONA. Hopefully I can achieve something similar with my equipment.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,664 of 2,843
  I've been running the Ether non-stop since I received them on Tuesday, and giving them a listen last night showed signs of improvement to my ears. The sound was opening up a touch and giving better separation. Dan has suggested 100-200 hours of burn-in, so I'm going to continue letting them cook before I sit down and do any critical listening. The fact that with barely more than a day of burn-in they're already showing improvements holds promise for how they'll sound on my setup after more time. I loved the Ether on Dan's WA5, Liquid Crimson, and Liquid Carbon amps at AXPONA. Hopefully I can achieve something similar with my equipment.

should be stable past the 200 hrs mark.  mind is already 300 hrs.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #1,665 of 2,843

I am betting the xfinity into your incoming carbon will be pretty sweet. Try the balanced Straightwire Rhmapsody with that setup.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back