MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 14, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #3,496 of 5,796
What pads are those ?

Possibly a prototype of the new electrostat pads that are supposed to be release soon? Only a guess though as they are supposed to have round openings.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,498 of 5,796
I bought a used Ether Open (not flow) and I don't really love it. It's sound signature sounds bright and not very realistic what is a bit annoying with vocals. Even when I am in Teamspeak with some friends I find their voices sound bad with the Ether compared to the HD650. Also, the Ether hast pretty bad staging and is lacking bass and sub-bass and cant really hit hard. Despite my critics I find it not that bad overall but also don't fall in love with it. It's not "magic" like an Audeze LCD-X for example.

From my memory, the Elear did almost everything better than the Ether except the annoying treble peak which could be flattened with an eq but was just really uncomfortable compared to the super comfy Ether. 

Do you think it is worth trying the Ether flow if I don't really love the normal Ether? Not sure if I should try Ether flow before switching to the Elear. Or maybe I just keep the superb HD650 which does almost every right except a bit imprecise / not textured enough bass response.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,499 of 5,796
  I bought a used Ether Open (not flow) and I don't really love it. It's sound signature sounds bright and not very realistic what is a bit annoying with vocals. Even when I am in Teamspeak with some friends I find their voices sound bad with the Ether compared to the HD650. Also, the Ether hast pretty bad staging and is lacking bass and sub-bass and cant really hit hard. Despite my critics I find it not that bad overall but also don't fall in love with it. It's not "magic" like an Audeze LCD-X for example.

From my memory, the Elear did almost everything better than the Ether except the annoying treble peak which could be flattened with an eq but was just really uncomfortable compared to the super comfy Ether. 

Do you think it is worth trying the Ether flow if I don't really love the normal Ether? Not sure if I should try Ether flow before switching to the Elear. Or maybe I just keep the superb HD650 which does almost every right except a bit imprecise / not textured enough bass response.

If treble is an issue for you I would personally stay away from the Flow. As someone who owns a 650 and has owned the flow why don't you put the Flow money into getting an amp like the Zana, Black Widow or even the Jot to get those 650's levelled up. The bass does improve although it's not going to have the texture of something like a HD800 but it's pretty damn good when fed a good amp and you already get a cohesive response through the mids and treble with the 650.

My fav Ether is the Ether C but it also has it's share of treble issues but the rest of the response is nicely balanced.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,501 of 5,796
With the Ether Open I don't have much of a problem with the treble, it's overall a bit bright headphone but it's not killing my ears like a HD800 or Beyer. Elear was just a bit uneven in treble but listenable and I think with eq it will get really nice.

Is the Ether Flow so much more agressive in the treble than the normal Ether? I've read very often that the Ether Flow can be more annoying in the highs than the normal Ether, is it true?

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,502 of 5,796
  Anyone using the Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite cable (4-wire silver/copper hybrid, 4-wire silver, or 8-wire silver)? Have been thinking about these, as a 6ft 4-wire silver occ litz cable is *only* ~$500 for the Ethers, which for me is still in the realm of "doable"   than their Silver Complement4 (starting at $1000) or the Prion4 (yikes!). 

Plus, I like the naked look of the Molecule Elite more!

Interested as well if anyone tried them vs the DUM.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,503 of 5,796
  With the Ether Open I don't have much of a problem with the treble, it's overall a bit bright headphone but it's not killing my ears like a HD800 or Beyer. Elear was just a bit uneven in treble but listenable and I think with eq it will get really nice.

Is the Ether Flow so much more agressive in the treble than the normal Ether? I've read very often that the Ether Flow can be more annoying in the highs than the normal Ether, is it true?

Yeah Flow as something weird an uneven in the treble and it was too annoying to listen to. It's more aggressive and not in a good way IMO. My biggest issue with the original Ether was also the bass. I like the Elear better than the Flow as apart from the treble issues it's a pretty smooth sail to the low bass.

I'd recommend trying to demo the Flow as you may like them better than me but personally if you have a 650 in your possession god knows why anyone would want to spend 1.7k on a headphone when you can get a good amp for that price and enjoy a better headphone in the 650. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #3,504 of 5,796
Hey guys. I'm thinking about selling my Edition X V2 to get a Ether C Flow.

Have anyone tried pairing the C Flow with Hugo or Continental Dual-Mono? Feedbacks?

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #3,505 of 5,796
Yeah Flow as something weird an uneven in the treble and it was too annoying to listen to. It's more aggressive and not in a good way IMO. My biggest issue with the original Ether was also the bass. I like the Elear better than the Flow as apart from the treble issues it's a pretty smooth sail to the low bass.

I'd recommend trying to demo the Flow as you may like them better than me but personally if you have a 650 in your possession god knows why anyone would want to spend 1.7k on a headphone when you can get a good amp for that price and enjoy a better headphone in the 650. 

I have owned the 650 more than once (got my son the 6xx so I had the Flow and 650 side by side)... IMHO it is not really even in the same league as the Flow.. the 650 has a slow bloated bass that bleads into the lower mids and a hard treble roll off.. some might like this darker sound but not I.

And before you get on your kick about source and amps.. I have listened to the 650's on some pretty amazing equipment and IMHO the sound signature still holds true.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,506 of 5,796
I also love that treble rolled off, dark sounding signature off the HD650 and also the mids are superb. But I agree with you, the bloated bass is really a problem. But annoying / agressive highs with Flow could also be a problem.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,507 of 5,796
I sold my 650s only because of the bloated bass, outside of that I thought it was great, especially for the price. But the bass drive me nuts. That being said, I'm selling my ether open 1.1 in part because off the overly lean bass and treble that I find to be to bright and rough.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #3,508 of 5,796
Bloated bass sounds like an under driven HD650 to me. On my system is was pretty evident that the 650 was the better performer and better tonally balanced. I bought my HD650 into my local dealer as he didn't believe me that the 650 can be extremely capable(His last experience was many years ago with sub par equipment) He owns many high end phones and has thousand worth of amps and dacs.  I took my 650 and we played around he had his own personal LCD-3, Edition X, LCD-X.  I bought my Flow in along with my HE-1000 and told him to listen to them hooked up to my Yggy and various amps and trued many demo units in store.

He couldn't believe how great a HD650 could sould and he and several other members of staff all agreed the the HD650 was better than the Flow,original Ether LCD-3, LCD-2, LCD-X but the HE-1000 V2, out did it technically but still couldn't match the tonal balance of a well driven HD650.

I'm not saying the bass was perfect and we all agreed there's a slight mid bass boost but it comes across as extremely punchy and dynamic sounding on better gear.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,510 of 5,796
Bloated bass sounds like an under driven HD650 to me. On my system is was pretty evident that the 650 was the better performer and better tonally balanced. I bought my HD650 into my local dealer as he didn't believe me that the 650 can be extremely capable(His last experience was many years ago with sub par equipment) He owns many high end phones and has thousand worth of amps and dacs.  I took my 650 and we played around he had his own personal LCD-3, Edition X, LCD-X.  I bought my Flow in along with my HE-1000 and told him to listen to them hooked up to my Yggy and various amps and trued many demo units in store.

He couldn't believe how great a HD650 could sould and he and several other members of staff all agreed the the HD650 was better than the Flow,original Ether LCD-3, LCD-2, LCD-X but the HE-1000 V2, out did it technically but still couldn't match the tonal balance of a well driven HD650.

I'm not saying the bass was perfect and we all agreed there's a slight mid bass boost but it comes across as extremely punchy and dynamic sounding on better gear.

Trust me.. I have tried the 650 on equipment that had more than enough power to drive them.. the bass regardless was bloated and slow. If you love the 650 so much, please go back to the 650 thread and spread your misinformation there.. I am sure it will make more than a few people feel better about thier purchase (ignorance it bliss and all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back