MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 12, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #3,466 of 5,796

Not to cut in, but I've used most of the Norne cables. My favorites with the Ether line are Zoetik and Draug 2c. Great build quality and complementary sonics. Nice looking too. 
wink.gif

Yes he makes nice cables, I have a Solv X from Norne Audio, also very nice.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,467 of 5,796
FWIW, the only cable I've used with my Ether Flow is the Wywires Platinum. The Wywires Platinum cable is superb with the Ether Flow. I switched back to the DUM cable, just to hear how it sounded, and I found the DUM cable to be very bright and not resolving in the overall SQ. Didn't listen long, the difference was huge.

IMO, YMMV, and as always,
Enjoy your music,
RCBinTN

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #3,469 of 5,796
  FWIW, the only cable I've used with my Ether Flow is the Wywires Platinum. The Wywires Platinum cable is superb with the Ether Flow. I switched back to the DUM cable, just to hear how it sounded, and I found the DUM cable to be very bright and not resolving in the overall SQ. Didn't listen long, the difference was huge.

IMO, YMMV, and as always,
Enjoy your music,
RCBinTN

​Agree, same experience..WyWires Platinum is superb.  The only thing I would add, as I've said before, is the WyWires Platinum is also much better than the WyWires Red, which you would expect given the difference in price.  And the WyWires Red was also quite a bit better than the DUM, which is still a very good cable and better than the standard stock cable that comes with most other headphones.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3,470 of 5,796
Anyone using the Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite cable (4-wire silver/copper hybrid, 4-wire silver, or 8-wire silver)? Have been thinking about these, as a 6ft 4-wire silver occ litz cable is *only* ~$500 for the Ethers, which for me is still in the realm of "doable"   than their Silver Complement4 (starting at $1000) or the Prion4 (yikes!). 

Plus, I like the naked look of the Molecule Elite more!

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,471 of 5,796
  I am seriously considering NOT upgrading my Ether C to Ether C Flow. Or maybe I have to upgrade it to Ether Flow Open. What are your experiences with them? 

Would love to hear your thoughts on the two as I'm currently trying to decide between the 2, isolation isn't an issue for me

I have listened to both for only a short time, maybe 3 hours on the Open Flows and double that on the C Flows but already I feel I can recommend you both get the Open Flows if isolation is not a problem. Isolation is a problem for me at times so I needed a closed headphone too and for those times, I would NOT prefer the Open Flows over the C Flows because of the leakage and isolation, which would ruin the experience.

However, the Open Flows, when amped up and in a quiet environment are superior in sound to the C Flows. They are more open (duh, of course) airy, textured and 3 dimensional in the sound. With live recordings you feel more like you're in the club with the band. I say club because the sound stage feels "intimate" like a small Blues club opposed to Shea Stadium. With the C Flows you're always kind of reminded that it's a headphone but with the open Flows you are transported more easily into the music scene. Both are detailed, go deep into the music without getting clinical but with the Open Flows you get more separation lending to a more 3D effect to the music which makes it sound more natural.

The Open Flows are a bit brighter, but not in a shrill way. Rather in a way that fills out treble music better than the C Flows do. I actually think the bass on the Open Flows is a tad more realistic too. I say this of course from my own perspective, realizing that everyone hears differently and may not agree with how I hear things. I also have a bit of high frequency hearing loss so don't trust me if I say something isn't bright because I may not be hearing the upper registers the way a person with normal hearing would. I've only lost about 25% so it's not that bad, and I'm getting kind of old too so I guess it goes with the territory.

When I put on the Open Flows I'm transported and moved by the music. I don't get quite as pulled in with the C Flows, well sometimes I do, depends, and the overall caveat here is that the magic of the Open Flows is lost if the environment isn't quiet, in which case the C Flows will sound better in comparison because you're getting more of the music in those situations and not having to deal with noise pollution.

As Tyll Hertsen says, the minute you put these sorts of thoughts into print it makes the issues seem larger than they really are and I feel the same here. The sonic quality between the C and Open Flow is closer than my descriptions probably make you feel about it. There is a difference though and if I had to keep just one I'd keep the Open Flow and use my Audeze Sines when I needed closed HPs. I'm fortunate in that I can keep both and I shall.

Some other thoughts: Both of these headphones are crazy-easy to drive. They work much better than the specs would lead you to believe. For example, my Audeze Sines, on paper, are more efficient by a large margin and yet in practice it takes more power to get them to the same listening level as the Open Flows. The C Flows take nearly the same power but even so, they are still slightly easier to drive than the Sines. So, don't trust the specs necessarily when it comes to how an HP will perform from an IOS, Android or computer. Both Flows will get nice 'n loud from any of these. Amped they sound spectacular and unamped they still sound really good.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #3,473 of 5,796

I have listened to both for only a short time, maybe 3 hours on the Open Flows and double that on the C Flows but already I feel I can recommend you both get the Open Flows if isolation is not a problem. Isolation is a problem for me at times so I needed a closed headphone too and for those times, I would NOT prefer the Open Flows over the C Flows because of the leakage and isolation, which would ruin the experience.

However, the Open Flows, when amped up and in a quiet environment are superior in sound to the C Flows. They are more open (duh, of course) airy, textured and 3 dimensional in the sound. With live recordings you feel more like you're in the club with the band. I say club because the sound stage feels "intimate" like a small Blues club opposed to Shea Stadium. With the C Flows you're always kind of reminded that it's a headphone but with the open Flows you are transported more easily into the music scene. Both are detailed, go deep into the music without getting clinical but with the Open Flows you get more separation lending to a more 3D effect to the music which makes it sound more natural.

The Open Flows are a bit brighter, but not in a shrill way. Rather in a way that fills out treble music better than the C Flows do. I actually think the bass on the Open Flows is a tad more realistic too. I say this of course from my own perspective, realizing that everyone hears differently and may not agree with how I hear things. I also have a bit of high frequency hearing loss so don't trust me if I say something isn't bright because I may not be hearing the upper registers the way a person with normal hearing would. I've only lost about 25% so it's not that bad, and I'm getting kind of old too so I guess it goes with the territory.

When I put on the Open Flows I'm transported and moved by the music. I don't get quite as pulled in with the C Flows, well sometimes I do, depends, and the overall caveat here is that the magic of the Open Flows is lost if the environment isn't quiet, in which case the C Flows will sound better in comparison because you're getting more of the music in those situations and not having to deal with noise pollution.

As Tyll Hertsen says, the minute you put these sorts of thoughts into print it makes the issues seem larger than they really are and I feel the same here. The sonic quality between the C and Open Flow is closer than my descriptions probably make you feel about it. There is a difference though and if I had to keep just one I'd keep the Open Flow and use my Audeze Sines when I needed closed HPs. I'm fortunate in that I can keep both and I shall.

Some other thoughts: Both of these headphones are crazy-easy to drive. They work much better than the specs would lead you to believe. For example, my Audeze Sines, on paper, are more efficient by a large margin and yet in practice it takes more power to get them to the same listening level as the Open Flows. The C Flows take nearly the same power but even so, they are still slightly easier to drive than the Sines. So, don't trust the specs necessarily when it comes to how an HP will perform from an IOS, Android or computer. Both Flows will get nice 'n loud from any of these. Amped they sound spectacular and unamped they still sound really good.

Thank you so much for your inputs. It's a difficult decision, but it's helpful.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,474 of 5,796
Hey guys,

I recently sold my Ether flow and wanted to leave impressions and what I liked and didn't like to maybe help some who are on the fence.

Firstly gear used

DACS; Modi Multi, Yggy, 

Amps: Vali 2, Lyr 2, Black Widow

Why did I sale it?

Mids weren't as cohesive and vocals sounded recessed(Mainly upper mids) Treble was a bit rough and overall resolution wasn't on par with my HD800, HD650.

What I liked

I thought for a planar it had a relatively clean background, many seem to sound a bit grey but the Flow while not free form this actually handled it better than other's I've heard. Body has improved over the original Ether Flow, resolution is about equivalent, slight edge in dynamics over the Ether but not what I'd call a dynamic sounding headphone. 

Personally I feel this headphone is way overpriced and I couldn't quite wrap my headphone. My Modded HD650 is a better headphone in cohesiveness, mid balance, smoother treble and better impact while having better subtle detail. A good system for a 650 will come keeper than the Flow. The HD800 is also cheaper and offers a next level performance even though the signature is a little different. The Flow I think performs somewhere in-between and LCD-2 and a well driven HD800/650 when it comes to sound quality. 

I actually found the original Ether C to have a better tonal balance than the Flow. I can live with the lower resolution and slam but  for me the tonal balanced sounds screwed up. Maybe an update can fix this but at the price this should be at release. 

I'll keep it short, if Dan announces another headphone with a better response with the same comfort and build I'd be all in! best headphone ergonomics along with the Audioquest line. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #3,475 of 5,796
Interesting impressions. I can't stand the hd650's sound and I've heard dozens of them in all sorts of modded states. Different strokes I guess, there are an awful lot of people praising the hd650 the past 6 months or so, and they haven't changed how they sound..... kinda weird.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,476 of 5,796
I can't say I hate the 650's just different. I just got a pair of HD 6xx's from Massdrop and they are quite good out of a Bottlehead Crack just a different ballpark than any Ether . I also don't agree with what he heard from them as it was not my experience but to each their own it's their money not mine.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #3,477 of 5,796
  Hey guys,

I recently sold my Ether flow and wanted to leave impressions and what I liked and didn't like to maybe help some who are on the fence.

Firstly gear used

DACS; Modi Multi, Yggy, 

Amps: Vali 2, Lyr 2, Black Widow

Why did I sale it?

Mids weren't as cohesive and vocals sounded recessed(Mainly upper mids) Treble was a bit rough and overall resolution wasn't on par with my HD800, HD650.

What I liked

I thought for a planar it had a relatively clean background, many seem to sound a bit grey but the Flow while not free form this actually handled it better than other's I've heard. Body has improved over the original Ether Flow, resolution is about equivalent, slight edge in dynamics over the Ether but not what I'd call a dynamic sounding headphone. 

Personally I feel this headphone is way overpriced and I couldn't quite wrap my headphone. My Modded HD650 is a better headphone in cohesiveness, mid balance, smoother treble and better impact while having better subtle detail. A good system for a 650 will come keeper than the Flow. The HD800 is also cheaper and offers a next level performance even though the signature is a little different. The Flow I think performs somewhere in-between and LCD-2 and a well driven HD800/650 when it comes to sound quality. 

I actually found the original Ether C to have a better tonal balance than the Flow. I can live with the lower resolution and slam but  for me the tonal balanced sounds screwed up. Maybe an update can fix this but at the price this should be at release. 

I'll keep it short, if Dan announces another headphone with a better response with the same comfort and build I'd be all in! best headphone ergonomics along with the Audioquest line. 

It is disturbing to hear that Ether C is better than Ether Flow in terms of tonal balance. I am pretty much satisfied with my Ether C, but I am now completely confused whether I have to upgrade my Ether C. 
But I agree that Ether C lacks dynamic punch compared to HD800S by a significant margin.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,478 of 5,796
  I am pretty much satisfied with my Ether C, but I am now completely confused whether I have to upgrade my Ether C. 
But I agree that Ether C lacks dynamic punch compared to HD800S by a significant margin.

If you are already satisfied, then I suggest you listen to the Flows first either on a dealer, a meet, someone you know, etc. instead of jumping to an upgrade where you won't be able to perform comparisons... Just my 2 cents.. :wink:

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,479 of 5,796

If you are already satisfied, then I suggest you listen to the Flows first either on a dealer, a meet, someone you know, etc. instead of jumping to an upgrade where you won't be able to perform comparisons... Just my 2 cents.. :wink:

I would love to do that, but I am not sure whether it is feasible given my location. For now, it seems that Ether C Flow is not an upgrade from Ether C. They might be just two different cans with different sound signatures. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,480 of 5,796
It is disturbing to hear that Ether C is better than Ether Flow in terms of tonal balance. I am pretty much satisfied with my Ether C, but I am now completely confused whether I have to upgrade my Ether C. 
I liked my C's more than the C Flows but they weren't burned in and had the wrong dampening of some sort but did like the Open Flows better than my C's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back