MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 13, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #3,482 of 5,796
How did you figure out that your C Flows had the wrong dampening material?
Peter said it did after they were returned after the meet for inspection . Not the wrong material but wrong thickness if I remember correctly.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,484 of 5,796
Ah, right. The Chicago meet? I recall reading posts about that. Wonder how many made it out with the wrong thickness of dampening.
Yep Chicago don't know about how many went out that way but I doubt too many. It was nice to hear the Amps and Sounds Kenzie again though ( and I bought one great with the C's by the way) so all was not lost and Focal Utopia's sound great from it also.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,485 of 5,796
Hi,

Last week I took a shot at upgrading my 'trusty' Denon D2000's and picked up a pair of Beyer T5p.2's. The Beyer's are a noticeable upgrade to the Denon's sound and are easily driven but a short demo at the shop didn't prepare me for how uncomfortable the smaller cups and pads would get after an hour or two. My Denon's I can wear at my desk for hours, sometimes without even listening to anything as the D2K's large open cups are just that comfortable to me by now, to the point that I almost miss them at my desk if I don't have them on.

I've seen a couple of this thread's regulars (Frozen Rat and doraymon) mention both sets of phones, and Badas has mentioned that he, like me, is a bit of a bigger guy and has purchased a pair of Ethers so I'm hoping someone might comment on the comfort level and if the pads would work for a slightly taller guy with apparently slightly bigger ...ears. Ideally I'd like something that I could pull out of a back pack, plug in at a coffee shop or work space and listen to comfortably for hours at a time through a work session (commercial art).

Also, am I understanding earlier posts correctly that there may be different sets of pads that can be switched out on these?

Thanks,
-Bill

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #3,486 of 5,796
I can't say I hate the 650's just different. I just got a pair of HD 6xx's from Massdrop and they are quite good out of a Bottlehead Crack just a different ballpark than any Ether . I also don't agree with what he heard from them as it was not my experience but to each their own it's their money not mine.

Feel pretty much the exact same way. Well, except I've just heard the regular Ether and Ether C. My Ether Flows should be here soon!

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,487 of 5,796
  It is disturbing to hear that Ether C is better than Ether Flow in terms of tonal balance. I am pretty much satisfied with my Ether C, but I am now completely confused whether I have to upgrade my Ether C. 
But I agree that Ether C lacks dynamic punch compared to HD800S by a significant margin.

Well, you're not actually hearing that the "Ether C is better than the Ether Flow in terms of tonal balance", you're hearing one person's impressions that they feel that way. And comparing the C's to the HD800's isn't really fair in that one is open and other is closed, but again it all comes down to personal preference. I for one prefer the Ether C to the HD800S by a significant margin. 

All of this is to say (as has been said many, many times) listen to what you like, and don't decide what you like until you listen to it. Cheers 

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #3,488 of 5,796
Well, you're not actually hearing that the "Ether C is better than the Ether Flow in terms of tonal balance", you're hearing one person's impressions that they feel that way. And comparing the C's to the HD800's isn't really fair in that one is open and other is closed, but again it all comes down to personal preference. I for one prefer the Ether C to the HD800S by a significant margin. 

All of this is to say (as has been said many, many times) listen to what you like, and don't decide what you like until you listen to it. Cheers 
I believe I have to agree with you. This is the same person that said the 650's were more resolving in subtle detail? Hey they hear what they hear I just don't hear it that way. No one is twisting their arm to like the Flows so be it. Just goes to so how each of us hear things in our own way.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,489 of 5,796
Hello All,

My Ether Flow arrived about a weeks ago and I am thoroughly enjoying them! Just getting started in this foray.  So far I have (worth mentioning) are the PM-3 and the HA-2.  I originally was going to pick up the PM-1 but after reading here and Tyll at Inner Fidelity chose to pick these up.  When I auditioned the cans it was on a much better amp so I can tell with just my HA-2 I need a better amp. I was going to get a HA-1 "before" I bought another pair of headphones but since Oppo has the new Sonica DAC coming out I get the feeling a HA-1SE is lurking.  With no hints of this actually really going to exist I am planning on ordering the WA8 next week. I'm glad I am finally able to get back into audio.  I fondly remember as a child and teenager sitting for hours listening to my dads H.H. Scott and I can't wait to hear that tube sound again!

--Chris

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,490 of 5,796

I've seen a couple of this thread's regulars (Frozen Rat and doraymon) mention both sets of phones, and Badas has mentioned that he, like me, is a bit of a bigger guy and has purchased a pair of Ethers so I'm hoping someone might comment on the comfort level and if the pads would work for a slightly taller guy with apparently slightly bigger ...ears. Ideally I'd like something that I could pull out of a back pack, plug in at a coffee shop or work space and listen to comfortably for hours at a time through a work session (commercial art).

Thanks,
-Bill

The opening in the pads for the ears is rectangular shaped and fit my ears perfectly. I have normal ears. If you have large ears they might touch the sides, it's hard for me to judge from looking at them if that would be the case. They are bigger than the Beyer T5p.2 earpad openings though, which fit me just fine but JUST fit. So the Ether Flows/C Flows do have a larger opening. I'd recommend you ask Dan if you could return them if they didn't fit. There probably are other pads out there you could use.

I could listen to these all day and I do take them to coffee shops. I take the C Flows of course. No one pays them any mind. People are used to seeing all kinds of headphones around.

As for the headband, they clamp perfectly and are made from nitinol, which has memory. You can stretch them all out of shape, even back on themselves and they snap back into shape perfectly. They maintain an even clamping force throughout various diameters. That is they clamp the same 2 inches apart as they do 9 inches apart.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #3,491 of 5,796

The opening in the pads for the ears is ...

Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure that I consider my ears big so much as the Beyer's pads to be small, or at least 'effectively' small' on account of their perfectly round shape. I may drive in to mid town next week where I bought the Beyers and try out the C Flows. I'll have had the Beyer's for a week and a half at that point but figure if I'm willing to spend another $1200 (Canadian) over the price of the Beyer's that maybe the shop owner will take the Beyer's back, I dunno...

Thanks Again

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #3,492 of 5,796
I have bigger ears (3 inches long) and the angled pads are big enough for me. I like that they have pretty good depth to them as mine stick out a bit.

The electrostatic pads coming out look like they'll be even bigger circumference wise than the stock angled pads, but don't look like they'll have quite as much depth.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3,493 of 5,796
I saw this pic from the for sale section by gelocks. I've got to believe that finding pads that fit won't be an issue, especially after finding this pic with an alternative set of pads.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #3,494 of 5,796
I believe I have to agree with you. This is the same person that said the 650's were more resolving in subtle detail? Hey they hear what they hear I just don't hear it that way. No one is twisting their arm to like the Flows so be it. Just goes to so how each of us hear things in our own way.

Why are you posting to try discredit me. By saying "This is the same person" blah blah

It's pretty simple

Schiit Yggy > Black Widow/Vali 2/Lyr2 and sometimes the Schiit Jot.

HD650 is showing better micro detail and resolution while the Ether Flow is either missing some, or picks it up faintly. Ether Flow may have a bit more perceived detail due to its elevated treble but micro detail is different than something that can sound oversharpened.

It prob has more to do with the HD650 scaling than anything else. My final thoughts on this headphone(Flow) it's it's extremely overpriced, just a meh headphone with a screwy FR.

You don't have to agree but this is my experience with them and I've got over 20 headphones here and I rank the Flow near the bottom whether it's tonal balance or resolution.

I don't post any more here as I don't have any more interest in the Flow so I wish you all happy listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back