MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,511 of 5,796
 I'm not convinced you have personally judging by your comments on them.  I didn't actually want this to turn in to a 650 thread  I was more talking to the other chap who has one in his possession. "Misinformation" Love the little passive aggressive dig it's cute, I sense some insecurity.

I'm going to leave it as that as it's already gone off topic.

Cheers

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,512 of 5,796
  Hey guys. I'm thinking about selling my Edition X V2 to get a Ether C Flow.

Have anyone tried pairing the C Flow with Hugo or Continental Dual-Mono? Feedbacks?

Here.
Ether C Flow and Hugo.
I also owned the Edition X V1 and then V2, which I loved.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,513 of 5,796
   I'm not convinced you have personally judging by your comments on them.  I didn't actually want this to turn in to a 650 thread  I was more talking to the other chap who has one in his possession. "Misinformation" Love the little passive aggressive dig it's cute, I sense some insecurity.

I'm going to leave it as that as it's already gone off topic.

Cheers

I know its not the top of the line Schitt stuff but here my old set with a bifrost / Lyr2 stack which has more than enough power to drive the 650

And then for good measure... Here is a HD650 I tested on a tascam da-3000 / Decware CSP3 at Steve's shop in Peoria.. Also I compared them directly to my LCD-X's some HD800, LCD2 (pre fazor) and HE6’s that day (with the LCD-X’s, LCD2 on the Decware Taboo and the HE-6 on a Lyr2) all of which bested the 650

Please note.... The lyr2 was able to drive the HE-6 :/

These are only examples of situations where I have pictures of... 

Also of note.. I dont think the Schiit stuff is a good match for the Ether's as the Schiit stuff is pretty bright.

Now can we move on and get back to the subject at hand..

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,514 of 5,796
Looking through the pictures posted on gelocks for sale thread.. I noticed this one, which clearly shows that the new pads will in fact be angled.. something I don't the think was clarified before..
7c541bb7_20170106_184949.jpeg

Also it seems that gelocks agrees that these do in fact lower the higher frequencies to make a darker toned headphone out of the flows.. Something some folks are obviously interest in..Will be interesting to see the measurements with these pads..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831437/used-mrspeakers-ether-c-flows#post_13148930

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3,515 of 5,796
Are you referring to the new pads as the ones used on the Flow? If you are yes they are angled.

I've been concentrating on the Flows and my tube amp lately. Primarily I use the Violectric V281. However I thought I would work on tubes (Woo WA22) and see what I get when I roll tubes to suit (I have about 300 different tubes for the amp).

The result is wonderful. Some real magic. Incredibly lush and smooth.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,516 of 5,796
Are you referring to the new pads as the ones used on the Flow? If you are yes they are angled.

I've been concentrating on the Flows and my tube amp lately. Primarily I use the Violectric V281. However I thought I would work on tubes (Woo WA22) and see what I get when I roll tubes to suit (I have about 300 different tubes for the amp).

The result is wonderful. Some real magic. Incredibly lush and smooth.

No, MrSpeakers is getting ready to release a new set of pads (ones made with the electrostatic headphones they have been working on) the pictures of the ones above look to be a prototype of the new pads.. MrSpeakers has said the new pads make the headphones a little darker sounding overall... 

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,517 of 5,796
No, MrSpeakers is getting ready to release a new set of pads (ones made with the electrostatic headphones they have been working on) the pictures of the ones above look to be a prototype of the new pads.. MrSpeakers has said the new pads make the headphones a little darker sounding overall... 

Cool. :cool:

I was wondering if that was what you were referring to.
I'm keen on those as well.

However I own the NightHawk as well. That is a darker HP. So if I find the Flows too bright I just switch. I find the Hawks and Flow share similar qualities. Flow is technically superior however the Hawks is not far behind and darker. So having both works for me.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #3,518 of 5,796
I tried on the Ether C Flows today (didn't listen to them) while trying to work out the fit issue on my new T5P.2s. I LOVE the pads on those phones and just got home to discover in the T5P.2 thread that those pads can be bought and mounted on to the Beyer's. Very cool day for a (pretty much) headphone noob.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791328/new-beyerdynamic-t5p-2nd-generation/495

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,519 of 5,796
  Here.
Ether C Flow and Hugo.
I also owned the Edition X V1 and then V2, which I loved.

How does the C Flow sound with Hugo?

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3,520 of 5,796
  Well, you're not actually hearing that the "Ether C is better than the Ether Flow in terms of tonal balance", you're hearing one person's impressions that they feel that way. And comparing the C's to the HD800's isn't really fair in that one is open and other is closed, but again it all comes down to personal preference. I for one prefer the Ether C to the HD800S by a significant margin. 

All of this is to say (as has been said many, many times) listen to what you like, and don't decide what you like until you listen to it. Cheers 

Rather than hearing from an advocate of Ether C Flow, I wanted to hear broader and critical opinions about it. Once you possess it, the chance is that you are likely to become an advocate of it. In this sense, Tyll's review is of much help to me. Apparently, he disappointed with Ether C Flow, and I am sure that there are many folks out there feeling in a similar way. And I am trying to figure out what made them disappointed with the C Flow given their experiences with the original C.  

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #3,521 of 5,796
What was weird about his review is that even though he seemed disappointed he also sort of recommended them. I think he put them on his wall of fame. I don't get it to be frank, to each their own. I've since moved on from my original ether, so it doesn't matter to me. I don't think their worth the asking price, to be honest. Good luck though.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #3,522 of 5,796
What was weird about his review is that even though he seemed disappointed he also sort of recommended them. I think he put them on his wall of fame. I don't get it to be frank, to each their own. I've since moved on from my original ether, so it doesn't matter to me. I don't think their worth the asking price, to be honest. Good luck though.

I understand. He also seems to think that the C Flow does not worth its asking price. And Tyll prefers the original C to the C Flow. That is what I get it from his review.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,523 of 5,796
I respect his views for the most part but in general I have found that there are some web sites out there that are so positive about her actually every product that it's hard to trust what anyone says. Now I'm not saying that he's one of those people because I think out of all of the reviewers is probably the most honest. But at the end of the day I will always trust what individual users have to say over what reviewers have to say. Again out of everyone that I have read so far I respect his views more than anyone else. But I am still wary of these websites sometimes

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #3,524 of 5,796
  How does the C Flow sound with Hugo?

An excellent match to my ears, although I have to say that the C Flow are the first headphones ever to make me prefer the sound out of an amp rather than straight out of the Hugo.
I am in fact using a Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 which is known to be a very good match.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,525 of 5,796
  Rather than hearing from an advocate of Ether C Flow, I wanted to hear broader and critical opinions about it. Once you possess it, the chance is that you are likely to become an advocate of it. In this sense, Tyll's review is of much help to me. Apparently, he disappointed with Ether C Flow, and I am sure that there are many folks out there feeling in a similar way. And I am trying to figure out what made them disappointed with the C Flow given their experiences with the original C.  

I decided to buy the C Flow only after an audition against T5p 2.gen and MDR-Z1R.

I don't know what Tyll heard but IMO these are by a long shot the best Closed Back headphones I ever tried. Which is the reason why I bought them.
I wish all the cans I owned or listened had the same "treble issues" he mentioned. These cans are spectacular for me because they just make me feel I never want to stop listening to my music. 

Are they worth 1,800 USD? Well this is very subjective, even more than sound quality...
For me they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back