MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,306 of 5,796
For you new Flow owners, if you want to be impressed give Michael Jackson's Jam a listen. This high energy, complex jam (hehe couldn't help it) really shines on the Ether Flows. Fast and precise, wow!

Edit: Another Michael classic "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" sounds just fantastic.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,307 of 5,796
  Yup.  Big loops with the new style DUM cable.  No experience with the older style.  Google "over under cable" for a vast set of explanations on how and why to adopt that coiling method.  It seems to keep my 10' DUM cable a bit straighter and more well behaved.

Yeah, I use the over/under method on everything from my headphone cables to my garden hoses! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,308 of 5,796
Well if you wound them up they could be a problem mine are just fine.

Yup.  Big loops with the new style DUM cable.  No experience with the older style.  Google "over under cable" for a vast set of explanations on how and why to adopt that coiling method.  It seems to keep my 10' DUM cable a bit straighter and more well behaved.

I was in on the pre-order for the Ether when it was first announced in March of last year. Received my Ether's July 3, 2015. Have really really liked/enjoyed the Ether. Hope to be one of the names drawn for the upgrade to the Ether Flow. The only downside of the Ether is the original DUM cable if you ordered the cable. Trust me, it doesn't matter how you coil it, it is the "kinkiest" cable I've dealt with for a headphone. And I don't mean that in a good way.
wink.gif
 I remember Dan recommending the "over under cable" method but it just won't lay flat.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #1,309 of 5,796
I "lied," could not resist listening to my C Flows again tonight even though they've been "working out" for just 23h. I have my whole library in shuffle play on Roon, and just grabbed the tail end of "Shenandoah" in Bill Frisell's "East/West" followed by Radiohead's "Karma Police." Balance between bass and midrange definitely improved, percussion attack very well located. Shuffle play pass to "Valsa" by the late Portuguese guitar master Carlos Paredes, beautiful definition in the Portuguese guitar strings plucked and released. And on to "Bottoms Up" played by Gonzalo Rubalcaba in his album "Paseo," excellent placement of piano, drums, electric bass, and sax, not too far from what I'd expect to hear in a live performance (just heard Rubalcaba live at SFJAZZ). Piano high notes well delineated, and those reed vibrations on the sax also come through very realistically. And on to András Schiff, ECM release of the Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 846 and then BWV 847. Very good balance across the keyboard.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,310 of 5,796
FWIW: I don't know if it was because it was one of the very first ones, but Dan said that my SF-meet pair do need some hours on them before they will sound their best. I don't know if Dan ever posted how many test hours he puts on the headphones before sending them to customers. If there were any changes since the meet in my pair, they weren't dramatic.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #1,311 of 5,796
  I "lied," could not resist listening to my C Flows again tonight even though they've been "working out" for just 23h. I have my whole library in shuffle play on Roon, and just grabbed the tail end of "Shenandoah" in Bill Frisell's "East/West" followed by Radiohead's "Karma Police." Balance between bass and midrange definitely improved, percussion attack very well located. Shuffle play pass to "Valsa" by the late Portuguese guitar master Carlos Paredes, beautiful definition in the Portuguese guitar strings plucked and released. And on to "Bottoms Up" played by Gonzalo Rubalcaba in his album "Paseo," excellent placement of piano, drums, electric bass, and sax, not too far from what I'd expect to hear in a live performance (just heard Rubalcaba live at SFJAZZ). Piano high notes well delineated, and those reed vibrations on the sax also come through very realistically. And on to András Schiff, ECM release of the Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 846 and then BWV 847. Very good balance across the keyboard.

Try the new Radiohead with the Flow..wow. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,312 of 5,796
Hey guys, new here. Considering the Ether Flow. Does anyone have any experience with the Beyer T1V2 as well. Presently, these are my reference cans. Considering going with the Flows...Any help greatly appreciated.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,314 of 5,796
That should be the marketing slogan already for the flows. "Go with the Flow." :popcorn:

As long as Dan doesn't bring over "Flo" from Progressive, she's getting really stale....:smirk:

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,315 of 5,796

​23 hours breakin? That's nuthin - you're still not getting the best sound at this point.

If you look back at the Ether (non-Flow) thread, you'll see that Dan (the manufacturer) has on multiple occasions said the Ether drivers keep improving up to approx. 200 hours of breakin. And this was supported by the comments in multiple posts of owners (including many who said they previously did not "believe" in breakin.)  Dan has stated that the Ether drivers require more breakin because of the folded shape of the planar driver -- that they were designed this way and require the additional breakin to achieve proper operating spec.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,316 of 5,796
My only disappointment with my Ethers was on first hearing them out the box they didn't sound much better than B+W P7'S. A few days in running under my normal hearing level you could here them start to open up a little. 160 + they started to really suprise me...

The Flows will be no different....
Same driver ..different holes above..
No fancy pink noise white noise just my lower level music....

I wish I could burn in and de-stress waiting for the upgrade program.... I want to hear the changes and go through that burnin again.... Its the fun part.. IMHO..

Keep smiling

Dave :blush:

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,318 of 5,796

If this latest version is Flow, is the first version Eddy?

I'm betting that goes over the head of 98% of the people here just like a turtle
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back