MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 16, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,291 of 5,796
Lucky you:) . In Germany It's very difficult to get your hand on MRspeakers products.
And to buy them from Mrspeakers directly means paying a lot of tax.
the only shop that's offering them for pre-order is in UK and for the Flows is 1750 pounds:mad:

£1750!!! :mad:

Left the show really thinking these could be my next headphone, but no way if £1750 is the correct uk price! :eek:
A big selling point for mrspeaker headphones for me was the value for money for the quality given. Yes they are fantastic headphones but £500 more than the 'older' ethers???

On mrspeakers us website they are up for $1799 which works out about £1380.. I know we have to add tax but that seems like quite a jump :confused_face_2:

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,292 of 5,796
Yeah I know it's a hard pill to swallow ,that the mark ups for us Europeans are so high sometimes... Checked for the Magnepan 3.7i lately and it was literally twice the US MSRP!!!
BTW 1750 pounds equal 2023€, currently...
Anyway let's go TTIP... Bye bye conscience :wink:

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,293 of 5,796
At this point, there are just a lot of inconsistencies between the impressions.  May be because the cans are too new and not yet properly broken-in.  Been patiently waiting on the Stillhart and Tyll's reviews.  I'd expect that they'll be up soon. 

It's a big purchase after all.  
darthsmile.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,294 of 5,796
That was never what I meant.  I simply think the playing field should be as level as possible.  You want to compare the best sound quality each headphone driver can produce.  Comparing a headphone with tens or hundreds of hours of use against a headphone with little or no play time isn't a fair assessment.

Burn-in isn't the answer to everything (and to be fair, some say doesn't exist).  Some headphones will never sound better beyond a certain point and it is fair to judge them that way.  I only suggest the playing field is even so the impressions are fair.  I bought a brand new Audeze LCDX-C and thought it sounded terrible so I returned it.  I later listened to a well broken in pair and the difference in sound was night and day.

As always, all the above is IMHO and YMMV...
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Very good points. I would add two comments. First, my ETHER C definitely improved in the bass after some time, so yes, it's real as Dan has instructed for his drivers. I never believed in burn-in at all before I heard it on the ETHER C. Second, the LCD-XC is a terrible example of unit to unit consistency, so the difference you heard may not have been from burn-in at all.

:beerchug:

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,295 of 5,796
Very good points. I would add two comments. First, my ETHER C definitely improved in the bass after some time, so yes, it's real as Dan has instructed for his drivers. I never believed in burn-in at all before I heard it on the ETHER C. Second, the LCD-XC is a terrible example of unit to unit consistency, so the difference you heard may not have been from burn-in at all.

beerchug.gif

Good points as well. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,296 of 5,796
So I'm not one of the "Mojo can do no wrong" types, I cite a lack of power for certain phones as a con for the mojo in my review (see my sig)

However, the mojo to me (and many others) powers the Ether, Ether C and Ether Flow with great results. The Ether C Flow has the same driver as the Ether Flow to my knowledge, so the only difference is the cup and any dampening used. Is the dampening that drastically different on the Ether C Flow that it needs the extra power? A number of people had the same impression at the Chicago meet and I know one of the used the liquid carbon, didn't see what anyone else was plugging into.
I was the one with the Carbon and I agree with you on the sound. Too light in the upper range and just a bit muddle. I hope it was not having burn in or maybe something happened to it . It was one of the reasons I drove 5 hours to hear them before I decided on which way to upgrade or not. I hope Dan sheds some light on this we he gets them back because everywhere else seemed to love them.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,298 of 5,796
I think that was the pre C cable . I bought my C's after hearing the prototype .

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,299 of 5,796
I think that was the pre C cable . I bought my C's after hearing the prototype .

My C cable is like a possessed snake. I'll see what improvements have been made when my Flow (open) arrives. That said, I have nothing to complain about the sound and I'm quite happy with it overall.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,300 of 5,796
My C cable is like a possessed snake. I'll see what improvements have been made when my Flow (open) arrives. That said, I have nothing to complain about the sound and I'm quite happy with it overall.
Mine I have no trouble with at all. From the split to the cups is just great from there it is a bit stiff but not snake like for me.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,301 of 5,796
Mine I have no trouble with at all. From the split to the cups is just great from there it is a bit stiff but not snake like for me.

My trial pair of C's (version 1) had the kinky, rough plastic-like surfaced cable. The pair I purchased (1.1's) have the smoother and much better usability (IMO) fabric-covered cable. Cheers 

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,302 of 5,796
My trial pair of C's (version 1) had the kinky, rough plastic-like surfaced cable. The pair I purchased (1.1's) have the smoother and much better usability (IMO) fabric-covered cable. Cheers 
Well if you wound them up they could be a problem mine are just fine.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,304 of 5,796

oooo, that means, mine is version 1 cable, actually my cable has that soft plastic covering from the source termination, up until the y split, from the y split to the headphone, it is covered by some kind of fabric.

I hope this will also be replaced when upgrading haha

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,305 of 5,796
  That's why I am concerned about these early impressions.  Dan himself said the new drivers need burn-in time.  Can folks who've put 50 or so hours on their Flow C please leave some impressions?

When I listened to my C Flows "raw" yesterday, I liked several things (clear attack, lots of detail, great treatment of jazz bass), and they were already ahead of my Alpha Primes in midrange clarity and in bass, but there was a kind of "gap" between the midrange and the lower bass, with the bass being almost aggressive. Just now, after 21 h of continuous play, bass and midrange seemed to be more "together." I'll report again in a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back