MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #5,281 of 5,796
Are there any frequency response graphs of the new C Flow 1.1 available? I could only find one for the Massdrop Ether CX. Thanks!

I posted one a few pages back in comparison to the OG ECF.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mrs...atic-headphones.814156/page-349#post-14531910

10181985.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5,282 of 5,796
Been a few weeks now of experimenting with the post update setup. Going back and forth between foam and the different felt/foam pads I have for the time being settled on no pads. Maybe slightly bright at times(very rarely), but mostly just a wonderful wide sound stage with lots of crystal clear details. For me this simple mod has lifted this headphone to a whole new level. It is now my go to headphone, often beating the Focal Clear (which I also love dearly).
Thanks again MrSpeakers:gs1000smile:

My setups: Astell&Kern AK100 Mk II(FLAC) or Macbook Air with Tidal - Chord Hugo 2 - Ether Flow Open
iMac Pro with Tidal or JRiver Media Center(FLAC) - Questyle CMA600i - Ether Flow Open

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #5,284 of 5,796
Eagerly awaiting my 1.1. update kit.
Are the improved pads for EFO back in stock, MrSpeakers?

Expecting them within 1-2 weeks.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 4, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #5,286 of 5,796
The 1.1 upgrade was stupid silly to apply. Even with my meaty paws I didn't have any issues. Great job on that by the @mrspeakers team.

I'm using Flow C 1.1 directly out of my Hugo 2. Like someone else mentioned in the thread, there is more room under the pads after removing the stock foam inserts. I had to adjust the sliders down slightly and the fit/comfort seems to actually have improved some.

Right away with the 1.1 upgrade you notice an increase in transparency and resolution. It's pretty significant and immediately drew me into the same tracks I just listened to several times. Everything also seems to be a tad more crisp and immediate. Also noticeably gone is the mid bass bump and slight warmness the Flow C had. This presents a more overall neutral sound profile, which reminds me more of the original Ether C tuning. I'm sure with the tuning pads, you'll be able to reintroduce the original Flow C profile, so it's really a win-win. Also the sub-bass seems to be relatively the same. Right now I'm going to listen some more with no tuning pads. Then I'll start swapping in some inserts and post my impressions later.

Any more impressions on the 1.1 upgrade with the different inserts?

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #5,289 of 5,796
Hey guys, what's a really good cheap alternative to the Voce pads for increased soundstage?

I have the Dekoni TH900 fenestrated sheepskin pads on other headphones and swapped them on to my Ether flows last night to see how it sounded, soundstage was widened but bass response was greatly reduced. It seemed to give it an L or sideways hockey stick response that I didn't much care for.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #5,290 of 5,796
Just swapped out my original pads and I can confirm they do help increase the low end/sub-bass. Also possibly a slight bump in bass impact? The memory foam is much superior on the newer pads. Feels like it's denser and has more "squish" to it. :)

Leather appears to be the exact same, just the memory foam is different.

Now onto installing the 1.1 upgrade. I'll report back after I have some thoughts on it.
Anymore thoughts on the 1.1 upgrade?

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #5,291 of 5,796
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #5,292 of 5,796
Anymore thoughts on the 1.1 upgrade?

Not too much as I've been testing some new gear and haven't used them much. I'll try to revisit in the next few days.

I did find that what insert (if any) I use depends on the chain it's connected to.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #5,294 of 5,796
I'm actually finding I really spend the most time using white + black foam.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #5,295 of 5,796
Today I have received the 1.1 upgrade. I listen with the white foam for a very short time. The soudstage realy opend up! I also hear a lot more details! The sound is occasionally (especially with horns) almost a bit to bright (sparkel?). maybe I should also add a black foam.. So far there is nothing to complain about. It's just a wonderful upgrade! Thank you very much MrSpeakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back