MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #5,251 of 5,796
Does the Ether C Flow leak a lot of sound?

I had owned a used ECF a few years ago, but they had a strange issue with isolation and had immense sound leak.

Even with a good, full seal, they leaked sound as much as an open hp. Sold them long ago.

Can any Ether C Flow owners test theirs for sound leak? I may give these hp another try.

I have a decent amount of sound leak with my ECF. If I take the cans off my head and compress the pads against one another, I can definitely hear what is playing. It isn’t necessarily clear, but the sound is there. However, definitely not open back level or anywhere close to that.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #5,252 of 5,796
Does the Ether C Flow leak a lot of sound?

I had owned a used ECF a few years ago, but they had a strange issue with isolation and had immense sound leak.

Even with a good, full seal, they leaked sound as much as an open hp. Sold them long ago.

Can any Ether C Flow owners test theirs for sound leak? I may give these hp another try.
With E-Stat pads, mine seal quite well. Same scenario as @Alcophone, my colleagues haven't said anything. Though to be fair, of the two people I sit between, one has a pair of Hyper X Cloud's and the other has Aeon Flow Closed, so even if mine did leak, they wouldn't notice :)

Regarding outside noise leaking in, mine attenuate outside noise nicely. I haven't tried directly comparing them to my Aeon's -- which isolate very well -- but I've not been noticed any major interruptions.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #5,253 of 5,796
applied the 1.1 paper decal to my Ether Flows. I love the change, and definitely hear it as an improvement. loved (and still love) the sound with no additional tuning pads, but also like the sound of all three pads. it will take me many hours of listening before I chose a favorite, or decide that I like them best untuned.

I would buy and love the Ether Flows with any one of the possible setups. I'm using angled pads and voce pads at this point. probably will settle on different tuning for different pads from what I can tell so far.

Dan, thanks very, very much for making this upgrade so affordable and easy to apply.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #5,254 of 5,796
I'm still enjoying the paper decal plus black felt (medium damping) the most. I'm trying to like the paper decal plus black foam (light damping) but it will take a while to adjust to the light damping sound, I think.

Anyone know what is being shipped as the current ETHER Flow 1.1.headphone stock configuration? Paper decal plus black foam? Paper decal plus black felt? Just the paper decal?

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #5,255 of 5,796
I'm still enjoying the paper decal plus black felt (medium damping) the most. I'm trying to like the paper decal plus black foam (light damping) but it will take a while to adjust to the light damping sound, I think.

Anyone know what is being shipped as the current ETHER Flow 1.1.headphone stock configuration? Paper decal plus black foam? Paper decal plus black felt? Just the paper decal?
Toss $1500 my way and I would love to let you know!

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #5,256 of 5,796
Etheredit2.2.jpeg

Ether Flow, 1.1 upgrading hopefully soon!

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #5,257 of 5,796
Sure.

Black foam = lightest damping, smooths any standing waves that may develop for some users in the 4.5-6K range and/or 9-12K. Whether or not you get this is ofter ear-shape dependent. Gives a nice smooth tone to highs.
Black felt = medium damping, 1-2 dB above 3 KHz.
White felt = more damping, 2-3 dB above 800 Hz.

These are rough descriptions. On bright systems I use white felt, such as a lot of portable gear, on my tube gear black foam.
What is the as shipped configuration for new 1.1 headphones?

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #5,258 of 5,796
What is the as shipped configuration for new 1.1 headphones?

The C-Flow with white felt, the ETHER Flow with black foam. It's slightly arbitrary, the listening panel of Dan finds those to be the happy-tunings, but I also change them based on my mood.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #5,260 of 5,796
I normally drive my Ether Flows with a Burson Soloist, and love them. My portable rig is a Resonessence Labs Herus+, Foobar for Android on a moto g5 and Sennheiser IE800S iems. The Herus would drive the Ether Flows, but not to full effect. Having added in the 1.1 upgrade, the Ether Flows sound much happier being driven by the Herus. The "veil" that someone mentioned being lifted with the addition of the paper decal in place of the original padding makes all the difference with the Herus. The Burson still drives them more to perfection, but when I don't feel like iems and am listening away from my main rig, I no longer have to use lesser cans that I have (not bad, but not ether flows. the senn hd25 and byer t51i's.) - they no longer sound under driven. I am one happy guy.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #5,261 of 5,796
Setup I'm using to test my C Flows with the 1.1 upgrade, black foam: Roon>Metrum Ambre>Metrum Onyx>Apex Peak with Volcano LPS and Psvane 6SN7-SE tube. Significant improvement in instrument separation, dynamics, midrange balance. Lows are a bit less salient, but in no way muffled, still solid and impactful, more like in their rightful place relative to the rest of the spectrum. But above all, a sense of space that I never expected from closed headphones.

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #5,262 of 5,796
I wonder why other headphone companies don't provide tuning upgrades for their cans like MrSpeakers does. Maybe other companies want to be able to say they have a house sound that can't or shouldn't be changed? What do you guys think? I can see how the tuning upgrades give rise to a lot of flexibility for the listener, but I have to admit I can't always tell which damping level is the best to use for the same equipment and music.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #5,263 of 5,796
I tried using the VOCE pads on my Ether Flow for awhile couple months ago. Unfortunately, the reverberating bass drowns out the other frequency just a bit too much. So I went back to the original pads.

I received the 1.1 upgrade, tried it w/ the original pads with just the black foam, sounded great! But curiosity got the better of me so I tried VOCE pads again with only the white decal inside. To my great surprise, the sound is superb. Improved soundstage with more bass and it's like a veil is pulled away for the other frequency. Everything is just... "even" now.

But, I think my set up helps mitigate the harshness without any dampening so I shall list them: laptop --> Hifime UDA38PRO USB --> Woo Audio WA7tp 2nd gen + hytron tubes

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #5,264 of 5,796
I tried black felt+black foam combination on my C Flow. They touch my ears, but soundwise, I think they are really a good combination. Very relaxing and neutral sounding with a slight hint of warmth. Bass is sufficient, so no EQ needed. I can't stop listening my upgraded C Flow.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #5,265 of 5,796
Any pad comparisons that people found improved bass and soundstage? Considering upgrading to either Voce pads, Dekoni TH900 unfenstarted sheepskins or Audeze pads. Also, hoping to know if the 1.1 tuning pads will fit in any of these.

@Rowethren anything you can or would like to add?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back