MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #5,266 of 5,796
Any pad comparisons that people found improved bass and soundstage? Considering upgrading to either Voce pads, Dekoni TH900 unfenstarted sheepskins or Audeze pads. Also, hoping to know if the 1.1 tuning pads will fit in any of these.

@Rowethren anything you can or would like to add?

I have used the Voce pads, Vegan Audeze pads and Dekoni Hybrid pads. I would say they are all comparable in sounds to be honest. The Vegan Audeze might have a tad more bass and smaller soundstage but really not much it in.

I ended up with the Dekoni Hybrid because they are by far the most comfortable and properly fit the headphones unlike the Vegan Audeze pads but sound wide they sound the same as the Voce pads to me. YMMV.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #5,267 of 5,796
I have used the Voce pads, Vegan Audeze pads and Dekoni Hybrid pads. I would say they are all comparable in sounds to be honest. The Vegan Audeze might have a tad more bass and smaller soundstage but really not much it in.

I ended up with the Dekoni Hybrid because they are by far the most comfortable and properly fit the headphones unlike the Vegan Audeze pads but sound wide they sound the same as the Voce pads to me. YMMV.

Interesting. Mind sharing the link for this Dekoni Hybrid?

Also how are the highs on it? Not sharp as the Voce Pads?

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5,268 of 5,796
Oct 21, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #5,269 of 5,796

I remember in some comparisons people saying the sheepskin have more bass than the hybrids.
Did you do the 1.1 upgrade?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #5,271 of 5,796
I remember in some comparisons people saying the sheepskin have more be than the hybrids.
Did you do the 1.1 upgrade?

I think generally the better the seal the more bass you get so it would make sense that the sheepskin would have more bass compared to the and hybrid. Unfortunately I don't have the 1.1 upgrade and I most likely won't get it as I am going to go for the Ether 2 or Meze Empyrean.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #5,272 of 5,796
Any idea when the “new” angled pads will be back in stock? I bought my flows around the cutoff and think I have the older version. That may fix some of the comfort issues I have with my current pads (ears touch the inside).

We expect the new pads by mid November. We had limited inventory and the surge in demand from upgrades was beyond our forecast (thanks everyone!!!!) so we had to stop pad shipments to allow us to ship new headphones, but we have a LOT of pads coming in about 3-4 weeks.

I wonder why other headphone companies don't provide tuning upgrades for their cans like MrSpeakers does. Maybe other companies want to be able to say they have a house sound that can't or shouldn't be changed? What do you guys think? I can see how the tuning upgrades give rise to a lot of flexibility for the listener, but I have to admit I can't always tell which damping level is the best to use for the same equipment and music.

"Best" varies by source and taste, but here's a handy tip sheet. I'll add this to the directions...

Black foam least filtering, starts about 3KHz. Most detail, on a tube system or one with a smooth “not bright” DAC or turntable, or if you like a more sparkly top this could be the best choice.

Black felt is medium filtering, starts about 2KHz. Good all around solution with almost as much micro-detail as the foam.

White felt is the most damping, starts about 800Hz My general go-to is the white felt. This works with slightly brighter systems, and is very tonally smooth and engaging.

You can combine them in any way, as well.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #5,273 of 5,796
I don’t think the 1.1 upgrade would work well with non-stock pads because the foam filters wouldn’t fit well in the ear slots. That’s my assumption at least.

Maybe it’s possible to use the 1.1 dampening on the driver side of the ear pad instead? Directly over the driver like 1.0? I don’t have the 1.1 yet but I would be curious how to get the 1.1 upgrade to work with my VOCE pads. The VOCE pads are almost too bright for me on 1.0 so I assume the VOCE pads would be way too bright with just the new 1.1 paper filter.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #5,274 of 5,796
I don’t think the 1.1 upgrade would work well with non-stock pads because the foam filters wouldn’t fit well in the ear slots. That’s my assumption at least.

Maybe it’s possible to use the 1.1 dampening on the driver side of the ear pad instead? Directly over the driver like 1.0? I don’t have the 1.1 yet but I would be curious how to get the 1.1 upgrade to work with my VOCE pads. The VOCE pads are almost too bright for me on 1.0 so I assume the VOCE pads would be way too bright with just the new 1.1 paper filter.

The 1.1 tuning pads might work with audeze pads, dekoni TH-X00 pads (different earhole shape than the TH900 pads) and some brainwavez pads because they are similar in shape to the stocks.
Hopefully Dan can comment on the 1.1+voce pad combo. I suspect if that works than it'll work with almost any pad.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #5,275 of 5,796
Black foam least filtering, starts about 3KHz. Most detail, on a tube system or one with a smooth “not bright” DAC or turntable, or if you like a more sparkly top this could be the best choice.
Black foam on C Flow is a great match for the music (mostly modern jazz and classical) and system (Metrum Onyx>Apex Peak+Volcano+Psvane 6SN7-SE) I've been listening to since the upgrade. The combination of decisive lows and lower mids with crisp strings and cymbal overtones is shiver-inducing. Every instrument speaks with a full timbre but without any glare.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #5,276 of 5,796
I upgraded my C Flow to 1.1 yesterday. The improvement to me is simply astounding with detail, imagery, soundstage and general fidelity all significantly improved upon. Using my AK70 mk2 and Hugo 2 with the black foam is by far the best sounding for my listening to a mixture of Rock, Pop, Jazz and classical. Everything is sounding better than before and I’m amazed what simple and cheap modifications can achieve. There must be so much unleashed potential in rival products that will never be realised! Thanks also to MrSpeakers for shipping to the UK in exactly a week - not bad for snail mail!
I’ve also been demoing on loan from Mark at Electromod an Atlas Zeno cable and will be getting one as a result - really great quality product and opens up the sound even more.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #5,277 of 5,796
I have been using the VOCE pads with just the white decal. I am totally in love with the new sound and have a very hard time stop listening whenever I start. It is so much easier to "get into" the music now.

Due to some people's previous comments, I tried listening to VOCE pads with black foam for awhile. Here is a photo of what I did:
20181023_152857_resized.jpg

The space between the thin film and pads memory foam holds the black foam in place pretty well. The sound does get very slightly smoother. It's definitely noticeable. But there is very minor space between the white decal and the black foam while the black foam doesn't cover the entire surface. I don't know if that does anything weird to the sound. Someone else can input? I can also see putting the black foam between the white decal and the pads directly, but it is likely that it'll shift around underneath the pads, which is troublesome.

Another possibility is peeling the original circular black foam and black felt apart and use that circular foam or felt. I tried peeling them apart and it's pretty easy with very low chance of damage if you do it slowly because they are only held together by just a bit of adhesive on the outer edge.
20181023_155723_resized.jpg

All that said, I still prefer the sound without the black foam... just more airiness. I also don't feel any harshness with my main gig (Hifime 9038pro + WA7 2nd gen), or on the LG G6 quad-dac.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #5,278 of 5,796
I have been using the VOCE pads with just the white decal. I am totally in love with the new sound and have a very hard time stop listening whenever I start. It is so much easier to "get into" the music now.

Due to some people's previous comments, I tried listening to VOCE pads with black foam for awhile. Here is a photo of what I did:

The space between the thin film and pads memory foam holds the black foam in place pretty well. The sound does get very slightly smoother. It's definitely noticeable. But there is very minor space between the white decal and the black foam while the black foam doesn't cover the entire surface. I don't know if that does anything weird to the sound. Someone else can input? I can also see putting the black foam between the white decal and the pads directly, but it is likely that it'll shift around underneath the pads, which is troublesome.

Another possibility is peeling the original circular black foam and black felt apart and use that circular foam or felt. I tried peeling them apart and it's pretty easy with very low chance of damage if you do it slowly because they are only held together by just a bit of adhesive on the outer edge.

All that said, I still prefer the sound without the black foam... just more airiness. I also don't feel any harshness with my main gig (Hifime 9038pro + WA7 2nd gen), or on the LG G6 quad-dac.

latest

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #5,279 of 5,796
Received the kit yesterday and installed the white decal today on my Ether Flow. Definite improvement. Bass better, better spacing, little bit more definition. And also more comfortable. Sometimes the outer rim of my ears touched the foam. Since it is now gone and I did not install the other foam pads I get about 1-1.5mm more space and that fixed it! Perfect upgrade and highly recommended!

Scanspeakman

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #5,280 of 5,796
Are there any frequency response graphs of the new C Flow 1.1 available? I could only find one for the Massdrop Ether CX. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back