MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 27, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #3,916 of 5,796
  Odd that the tuning would have the bass a little lighter in the middle of the range with a closed headphone. Do you favour one presentation over the other when restricting the evaluation to bass only as opposed to overall?

What I hear is actually close to the measurements of both headphones. You can look at Jude's measurements in the first post of this thread (Tyll's measurements are slightly different, but show the same bass bump in the ETHER Flow open):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814156/mrspeakers-ether-flow-and-ether-c-flow-inspired-by-electrostatic-headphones#post_12721410

The largest gap is in the 100-200Hz range which gives the Flow open a warmer tone, but you don't need to read the measurements to hear this.

Honestly, it depends on what I'm listening to, or the mood I'm in, that I'll prefer one over the other. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,918 of 5,796
On the negative side, I like listening to Pandora One at work, I get lots of music variation and don't have to mess with it. The deficiencies of Pandora compared to Tidal and Google Play Music (yes, i subscribe to three services..) are more apparent after the Flow upgrade. 192kbps AAC+ should be pretty transparent, but I am not finding it to be.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,919 of 5,796

Both kind of bass-shy for my preferences, but I imagine they sound very clean and detailed in the low frequencies so for those who prefer a more neutral presentation I suspect these cans are able to give them that. I guess the fact that I like the low frequency colouration of the Sony Z1R should tell me something about myself (like that I'm a bass head at this point). Cheers.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,920 of 5,796
@Mr.speakers do you have any plans on releasing some type of in-ear monitor? I really love your headphone from Mad dog to Ether C, the only thing I can find that are close to your sound sig and ergonomic is Westone W60, but their IEM quality is so cheaply made, it doesn't compare to the tank like product of your headphone. I really hope you build an IEM some day.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3,921 of 5,796
For those who've patiently waited round-hole ear pads will be here and for sale Tuesday.

It's a fun sound, with a really smooth effect that's laid-back and has great room feel.  And the soundstage is bomb.   A fun reversible tweak to enjoy the Flow's in a new way.  It is reversible but after a few removals the pads may cease to fit as snugly, so this isn't something to do every day unless you've got a stock of pads.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 2, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,922 of 5,796
Going to wait for CanJam SoCal to decide if I'm going to change my Ether C's to Open Flows or C Flows. Can't wait for CanJam.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,923 of 5,796
Hi, I ordered a pair of Ether Flows and will probably have them next week and am looking around for my first Good DAC/Amp. I wonder if there is any reason not to pair them with Gungnir(edit: multibit version)/Mjolnir2? (I don't want to work my way up from lower tier stuff as it seems like a waste of money). 

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #3,924 of 5,796
  Hi, I ordered a pair of Ether Flows and will probably have them next week and am looking around for my first Good DAC/Amp. I wonder if there is any reason not to pair them with Gungnir/Mjolnir2? (I don't want to work my way up from lower tier stuff as it seems like a waste of money). 

Is yours the multibit version (Gumby)? Know many people who highly prefer that one and feel it is a tremendous value. Cheers 

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3,925 of 5,796
  Is yours the multibit version (Gumby)? Know many people who highly prefer that one and feel it is a tremendous value. Cheers 

That's the one in my Schiit shopping cart, yes. I thought I saw a comment somewhere around here that Dan from Mr. Speakers favors that amp with the Ether Flows. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,926 of 5,796
  That's the one in my Schiit shopping cart, yes. I thought I saw a comment somewhere around here that Dan from Mr. Speakers favors that amp with the Ether Flows. 

I wouldn't say favor in that I don't really discuss favorites.  However, it's certainly highly recommended, especially if you drop in some nice 6DJ8/6922 tubes. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 2, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3,927 of 5,796

I wouldn't say favor in that I don't really discuss favorites.  However, it's certainly highly recommended, especially if you drop in some nice 6DJ8/6922 tubes. 

I may have been misquoting a misquote and can see where you'd avoid mentioning favorites, of course. I'm very much looking forward to receiving a pair of your headphones. Thank You for affirming the Amp/DAC I had in mind for a pairing. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #3,928 of 5,796
I have had that exact setup for about 6 months and can confirm it is great! Gumby/Mjo2 + Ether Flows that is :cool:

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #3,929 of 5,796
Good to know, it was either going to be the Gumby/Mjo2 with Ether Flows or the Sony Z1Rs... to bad for me that we aren't neighbors for the sake of getting your more informed impressions.  :) I guess, at least with the Ether Flows, I'll have my own set up soon enough. I envy you those Sonys though.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #3,930 of 5,796
  Good to know, it was either going to be the Gumby/Mjo2 with Ether Flows or the Sony Z1Rs... to bad for me that we aren't neighbors for the sake of getting your more informed impressions.  :) I guess, at least with the Ether Flows, I'll have my own set up soon enough. I envy you those Sonys though.

They are both pretty damn good headphones that complement each other well. Why not get both? 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back