MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #3,901 of 5,796
I noticed the cables I purchased are absent from this conversation. I don't want to get into a discussion over their merit but like it was mentioned before I don't want to start buying tons of cables but a 30 day guarantee...

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,902 of 5,796
I noticed the cables I purchased are absent from this conversation. I don't want to get into a discussion over their merit but like it was mentioned before I don't want to start buying tons of cables but a 30 day guarantee...

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

There were a lot of good cable companies that we didn't mention. I think Toxic, DHC, BTG, and some others all do a good job. The only company I never but cables from is Moon.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #3,903 of 5,796
There were a lot of good cable companies that we didn't mention. I think Toxic, DHC, BTG, and some others all do a good job. The only company I never but cables from is Moon.

Ooooh, why not? Please PM me

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,904 of 5,796

Please pm me as well if you'll be so kind?

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #3,905 of 5,796
  @Jtyoung  Something very familiar about your rig.  
wink.gif

Oh Nice the Kt88!  I assume youre loving the elekit amp its a beauty. In a few months ill move on to a Yaqin 300b amp. Excited about those 300b tubes - although ill use it with speakers mainly. :)  However on occasion the home rig with headphones is beautiful. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #3,907 of 5,796
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3,908 of 5,796
Feb 25, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,909 of 5,796
Looking for some advice after reading through the thread and all of the reviews. Can anyone comment on how the Ether Flow Open handle orchestral and acoustic music? Also any original Ether C 1.1 owners out there who could do a SQ comparison with Ether Flow? I have Ether C 1.1 and don't use any tuning pads but am looking to upgrade to Flow Open but worried about brightness and the supposed 'V' shape sig - would love some insight and advice. Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,910 of 5,796
  Looking for some advice after reading through the thread and all of the reviews. Can anyone comment on how the Ether Flow Open handle orchestral and acoustic music? Also any original Ether C 1.1 owners out there who could do a SQ comparison with Ether Flow? I have Ether C 1.1 and don't use any tuning pads but am looking to upgrade to Flow Open but worried about brightness and the supposed 'V' shape sig - would love some insight and advice. Thanks in advance.

I had the ETHER C(1.1) which I upgraded to the Flow C. What I hear as a difference is the C Flow sounds like the C(1.1) with one black tuning pad, but less distortion. The Flow open, which I also have, is much warmer and smoother in the presentation than the C Flow. The C Flow maintains the higher frequency qualities of the C(1.1) IMO but has slightly more lower end bass while the Flow open has a more warm signature with smoother highs and more mid bass.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #3,911 of 5,796

The C Flow maintains the higher frequency qualities of the C(1.1) IMO but has slightly more lower end bass while the Flow open has a more warm signature with smoother highs and more mid bass.

My impression of the C Flow is the same as yours are of the C Open (which I haven't heard).  

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,912 of 5,796
  My impression of the C Flow is the same as yours are of the C Open (which I haven't heard).  

I'm thinking you meant to say Flow Open as there is no C Open.... 
wink_face.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,913 of 5,796
Feb 26, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #3,914 of 5,796

I don't find the Ether Flows to be bright at all. Depends maybe on what you are driving them with but for me, with the 3 sources I use, they are not "bright". I really think they strike the perfect balance in the treble region. FWIW I did find the original Ether C to be a bit "bright" or better yet "unforgiving of source material with an edgy or bright presentation". When I went from the Ether C to the Ether Flow with the same source and songs I just flipped for it, yes I bought the open Flows!
I guess the Flows may have a slightly "V" presentation, but I actually prefer that, I tend to focus on instruments, not vocals, so they truly work for me. I love the balance.  If I listened primarily to vocalists I might feel different. I believe most music is mixed to favor the all important midrange and vocals, so for me a slightly V shaped sound sig helps to balance back in favor of the frequency extremes. 
I am spitballing here but I think orchestral and acoustic music benefit most from a wide soundstage and open, airy presentation. I don't think many would argue that the Flow does not provide just that.
Note that I haven't listened to nearly enough orchestral music, it probably represents only 10% of my listening. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #3,915 of 5,796

I had the ETHER C(1.1) which I upgraded to the Flow C. What I hear as a difference is the C Flow sounds like the C(1.1) with one black tuning pad, but less distortion. The Flow open, which I also have, is much warmer and smoother in the presentation than the C Flow. The C Flow maintains the higher frequency qualities of the C(1.1) IMO but has slightly more lower end bass while the Flow open has a more warm signature with smoother highs and more mid bass.

Odd that the tuning would have the bass a little lighter in the middle of the range with a closed headphone. Do you favour one presentation over the other when restricting the evaluation to bass only as opposed to overall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back