MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,886 of 5,796
Hi guys,

Real noob question here. I'm going to buy some cables for my ether flows from Norne Audio I want them with 3.5mm termination then I noticed there are ones with 3.5mm TRRS in there as well.

Isn't trrs used for smart phone connections? Which version 3.5mm do i buy for my mojo 3.55ml connection lol.

I know this is probably the most basic of stupid questions but I'm just so used to buying off the shelf or getting cables that come with my headsets never had them custom built with all these options before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #3,887 of 5,796
Hi guys,

Real noob question here. I'm going to buy some cables for my ether flows from Norne Audio I want them with 3.5mm termination then I noticed there are ones with 3.5mm TRRS in there as well.

Isn't trrs used for smart phone connections? Which version 3.5mm do i buy for my mojo 3.55ml connection lol.

I know this is probably the most basic of stupid questions but I'm just so used to buying off the shelf or getting cables that come with my headsets never had them custom built with all these options before.

You want to get either the XLR and use an adapter cable or 1/4" or 6.3mm and get an adapter. It's just a standard 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter. You want to leave yourself the flexibility if things change.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #3,889 of 5,796
The 3.5 TRRS plug is probably for Hifiman DAP which uses a 3.5 mm balanced output jack

You want to get either the XLR and use an adapter cable or 1/4" or 6.3mm and get an adapter. It's just a standard 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter. You want to leave yourself the flexibility if things change.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,891 of 5,796
Hi guys,

TRRS is balanced, so you want TRS (unbalanced) for your mojo.  The discussion about adapters is that if you get a cable with a balanced connector, be it TRRS connector or 4 pin xlr, you will always be able to use it on balanced equipment at a later time.  To use it on the mojo, you would then use an adapter to convert your balanced cable to TRS. You can find them under Adapters --> Headphone Cable Adapters [series matching] on their website.  I got this from Norne to convert an XLR cable to 6.3 TRS, and you can always email Trevor, tell him what you want and let him direct you.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,892 of 5,796
That is a great question to ask. Here is a quick shot of the DUM cable with 4 pin balanced XLR, then the XLR to 1/4" adapter and the XLR to 3.5mm adapter. I need all three for my solid state and tube headphone amps and my portable DAP. You definitely want the primary termination on your new cable to be a balanced one for your highest quality amp.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,893 of 5,796
That is a great question to ask. Here is a quick shot of the DUM cable with 4 pin balanced XLR, then the XLR to 1/4" adapter and the XLR to 3.5mm adapter. I need all three for my solid state and tube headphone amps and my portable DAP. You definitely want the primary termination on your new cable to be a balanced one for your highest quality amp.

And just to be specific, go with 4 pin XLE not dual 3 as most amps have 4 pin outputs and you can always get an adapter.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #3,896 of 5,796
Thanks guys for all your helpfull and detailed responses! I have contacted Trevor from Norne Audio and he is going to make me up an 8 foot Draug 2c cable with the 4pin XLR connection and streamlined 3.55mm adapter to use with my mojo till I decide on a balanced amp option.

Again thank you all for your help and advice. Such a great forum here with very helpfull community. Love it!

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,897 of 5,796
Thanks guys for all your helpfull and detailed responses! I have contacted Trevor from Norne Audio and he is going to make me up an 8 foot Draug 2c cable with the 4pin XLR connection and streamlined 3.55mm adapter to use with my mojo till I decide on a balanced amp option.

Again thank you all for your help and advice. Such a great forum here with very helpfull community. Love it!

I think that is a great choice. Nice job and that seems like the right length and termination.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,898 of 5,796

Some eye candy with my new Norne Audio Draug 2 cable...
Just a few words about my experience. I originally purchased a Norne Solv X cable which was beautiful, lightweight, and very clear across the range. However after a week I realised it wasn't the exact sound I was looking for - my ether C's were burning in, and their sound was settling, bass tightening, and the overall result (for me) left me craving more bass presence. Therefore, if you feel that your Ether C's need to tame the bass a little, the solv x is worth considering.

So i contacted Trevor from Norne on the offchance a miracle would happen or to just gather his opinion - and low and behold he informs me that he offers a standard 30day money back policy (minus shipping) for any reason at all. I have zero affiliation with Norne, but wow that is surely unheard of in this hobby. So I organised for a Draug 2 to be commissioned and it has arrived today. WOW - AMAZING! 1stly its very bendy, beautiful and soft. 2ndly, it is beautifully made with very high quality construction. And 3rdly, the sound is amazingly good!! Heck i think i even have to turn down my home eq bass settings - the Draug 2 just offers a very full sound spectrum. And not just bass, it allows for a beautiful midrange presentation with amazing clarity and tone of instruments and vocals. I was using the stock DUM cable in the interim and became used it its copper sound - but the draug 2 is honestly leagues ahead.

So if you are considering tweaking the sound of your ether's (or any other headphone)  - its worth checking in with Trevor. For me there was a slightly longer-than-usual wait time for the draug because its very very popular and requires time to actually construct it (8 wires) but if you aren't in a rush, its worth the wait folks! Happy days.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,899 of 5,796

Some eye candy with my new Norne Audio Draug 2 cable...

Just a few words about my experience. I originally purchased a Norne Solv X cable which was beautiful, lightweight, and very clear across the range. However after a week I realised it wasn't the exact sound I was looking for - my ether C's were burning in, and their sound was settling, bass tightening, and the overall result (for me) left me craving more bass presence. Therefore, if you feel that your Ether C's need to tame the bass a little, the solv x is worth considering.

So i contacted Trevor from Norne on the offchance a miracle would happen or to just gather his opinion - and low and behold he informs me that he offers a standard 30day money back policy (minus shipping) for any reason at all. I have zero affiliation with Norne, but wow that is surely unheard of in this hobby. So I organised for a Draug 2 to be commissioned and it has arrived today. WOW - AMAZING! 1stly its very bendy, beautiful and soft. 2ndly, it is beautifully made with very high quality construction. And 3rdly, the sound is amazingly good!! Heck i think i even have to turn down my home eq bass settings - the Draug 2 just offers a very full sound spectrum. And not just bass, it allows for a beautiful midrange presentation with amazing clarity and tone of instruments and vocals. I was using the stock DUM cable in the interim and became used it its copper sound - but the draug 2 is honestly leagues ahead.

So if you are considering tweaking the sound of your ether's (or any other headphone)  - its worth checking in with Trevor. For me there was a slightly longer-than-usual wait time for the draug because its very very popular and requires time to actually construct it (8 wires) but if you aren't in a rush, its worth the wait folks! Happy days.

Hurry!!! You made a solid choice and I'm glad you're happy

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,900 of 5,796
@Jtyoung  Something very familiar about your rig.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back