MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 16, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #3,842 of 5,796
  Thank you very much for the impressions. I wasn't aware that Dan uses different cables for his demo; any idea which ones he prefers?

I believe they demo with Kimber Axios.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #3,843 of 5,796
Feb 16, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #3,845 of 5,796
  My bad, I'm only going from pics I've seen.

^^ I've seen him at shows with Norne and Wy Wires cables. 

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm having a hard time figuring out which brand to go with -- Wywires, Nordost Norne, Double Helix. I'm looking to get one with the most "transparent" sound, regardless of expenditure involved (this doesn't make much sense). Would love to get some opinions on this, or pointers to relevant resources.

Edit: Thanks @Douger333, that was my original intent.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #3,847 of 5,796
 My bad, I'm only going from pics I've seen.

^^ I've seen him at shows with Norne and Wy Wires cables. 

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm having a hard time figuring out which brand to go with -- Wywires, Nordost, Double Helix. I'm looking to get one with the most "transparent" sound, regardless of expenditure involved. Would love to get some opinions on this, or pointers to relevant resources.

I never tried Double Helix or Wywires cables but based on my experience with 5 different cables i currently own, including 2 Norne, it's important to choose not only the brand but a specific model which will depend on your setup. Be aware that changing a component of the setup may lead to your not liking your setup with the cable you chose and which was a good match before the change. The best way is to attend a meet and try different cables or to borrow a cable from someone near and try with your setup

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,848 of 5,796
I started out with the DUM cable on my Ether Cs. Then moved to a balanced WyWires Red headphone cable. I now have AKG 702s and MassDrop Fostex TH- X00s with WW Red cables and My Ether Flows have WW balanced Platinum headphone cables. I also rewired my Schitt stacks with WyWires cables and it has been worth every penny I spent. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3,849 of 5,796
I never tried Double Helix or Wywires cables but based on my experience with 5 different cables i currently own, including 2 Norne, it's important to choose not only the brand but a specific model which will depend on your setup. Be aware that changing a component of the setup may lead to your not liking your setup with the cable you chose and which was a good match before the change. The best way is to attend a meet and try different cables or to borrow a cable from someone near and try with your setup

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The idea is sound, but taking into account our poor short-term audio memory, comparing cables over a 30 minute listening session won't be helpful in deciding which one has the best signature; it will help deciding which ones are bad, though. Finding a cable to borrow sounds like a pretty hard task.

The next best option, IMO, is to:
  • Understand my own complaints from the existing system. In this case, the primary concern is that the treble can sometimes be too bright.
  • Get lots of user feedback from owners of different cables about how they modify the sound signature.

After this, it is simply a matter of shortlisting those that help ameliorate the issues, and selecting the cable with the least negative reviews. The Head-Fi community has been incredibly helpful in this regard, and I have no regrets about my purchase decisions using this algorithm 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #3,850 of 5,796
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm having a hard time figuring out which brand to go with -- Wywires, Nordost Norne, Double Helix. I'm looking to get one with the most "transparent" sound, regardless of expenditure involved. Would love to get some opinions on this, or pointers to relevant resources.

Edit: Thanks [COLOR=22229C]@Douger333[/COLOR], that was my original intent.

Well, I would see if Cardas Clear has anything for them. It's as transparent of a cable as I've heard.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,854 of 5,796
  Did I do something wrong? 
frown.gif
 I apologize, but I am new to forum life.

No worries. ​The topic of cables comes up every now and then on various threads here. I find that people's reaction to cables and perceived/real/imagined sound differences is binary: Either you're totally into cables and can't believe how big difference cables make or you can't hear any differences and don't care. To each his or her own, YMMV, and so on.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,855 of 5,796
No being able to hear a difference is cheaper in the long run. On the other hand, you should hear my Vali 2/Mimby Schiit stack. It has Wywires Silver interconnect and Wywires best USB cable and a Siemmens CCa tube. This little stack is Much better than my old Lyr/Bifrost Uber stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back