MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 12, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,386 of 5,796
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2,389 of 5,796
Slightly irritating, just noticed that the blue plastic ring on the right cup is coming loose very slightly. Anyone else had that problem? Not really a huge issue as I think it is only cosmetic but still a bit of an imperfection. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,390 of 5,796
Slightly irritating, just noticed that the blue plastic ring on the right cup is coming loose very slightly. Anyone else had that problem? Not really a huge issue as I think it is only cosmetic but still a bit of an imperfection. 

Dan and Co will take care of it. Send him a PM or email them on their website. There is a 2-year warranty on the Ether models.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,391 of 5,796
Initial impressions.

- Excellent build. Looks gorgeous, is quite light for its size and although it looks different from everything out there, it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME!"
- Quite comfortable on the head, pads feel great and the adjustment system looks good though not sure how sturdy nor how it might take months/years of abuse.
- Cable isn't as stiff as it looks == good in my book. Ok length for office use (my main use).
- Sound... Ok, so I first started with decently recorded stuff (i.e. Paquito D'Rivera, Buena Vista - De Camino a la Vereda/El Cuarto de Tula, HD Tracks samples, plus some Chesky recordings, DJ Koze - My Plans, Beethoven - Rondo Allegro, etc. etc.) and yeah... they sound VERY good. Better than I expected actually. Bass response is excellent and possibly better than both closed-backs I currently use the most (Ultrasone Signature DJ and Beyer DT1770). Need to do comparisons at home but I think apart from quantity, this one will have those 2 beat. Mids are forward and have a warm tinge but not too much. Everything comes out very clean to my ears, especially in comparison with the DT1770s which sounds a "scooped" and artificial. Definitely these are more "open" sounding and imaging is excellent as well. Thing is, well recorded music sounds good on almost all decent headphones :p. Tried not so well recorded punk, metal, reggaeton, salsa tracks and THERE you can catch what might be a 'con'... Brightness up-top. I'm guessing it might be from 6-8khz or so since on some tracks I detected a hint of sibilance but might have other peaks lower because sometimes guitars crunch can sound a bit aggressive (2.5? 3khz?). Increasing volume of course brings these things into prominence. Is this a show-stopper? Not sure yet...

What actually surprised me more about the headphones, after reading so many reports of "extreme brightness", is that they are not THAAAT bright. I mean, I own(ed) and tried Beyers, Ultrasones, Shure's, etc. and to me, bright is something like the SRH940, DT770 weird highs, and the JVC HA-MX100Z, Edition 8s, etc. Even the Hifiman HE-560s I consider brighter as well as the LCD-XCs I tried long ago (which I couldn't really listen for too long because it actually gave me headaches... probably a mix of their weight and weird upper mids...). Haven't gotten a headache yet so... :p

I was worried about bass quantity, and although not a bass monster, I like the punch from the tracks I've tested. Would have like a bit extra sub-bass presence but not bad at all while listening to tracks from Wiz Khalifa, Disclosure, Calle 13, etc.

Note:

1) I use glasses, sound might be different (seal dependent) for some.
2) No burn-in (if you live and die by this).
3) Gear used: HTC phone - USB OTG - iFi Micro iDSD

Will keep on listening and compare in the weekend against the others. Let's see if it (or my brain) "settles" as well.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,392 of 5,796
Dan and Co will take care of it. Send him a PM or email them on their website. There is a 2-year warranty on the Ether models.

Got a PM from Dan almost immediately and it is getting sorted out. That is what you call first class customer service! 

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,393 of 5,796
Wanted to share an insight to anyone who might be interested in using the C's for portable duty, or who just wants a "somewhat-affordable" SE tube amp.

I was having some fun with my ALO CV5 stack (CV5/Mojo/AK100) today at my desk (usually use it for portable duty) and plugged in my Ether C 1.1's. Was happy to see that there's more than enough power in the little amp for the C's. In fact on the CV5's "H" gain setting I can blow my ears out! And they also sound really awesome as a combo with the warmth of the CV5's tube and the awesome SQ of the C's. Good stuff Ken and Dan!

Cheers

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,395 of 5,796
  I hope he sends an Email to all of us that are waiting for our upgrade time to be called up. That would be the first recognition that the company got our request to upgrade info.

Agreed!

I too have been patiently waiting. After all it's us original owners that helped put the Ether and Ether C on the map.

I fully understand having to get out orders for the new product but there needs to be a fair balance.

It's now too late to sell my pair to buy a new one outright as resale value for the non-flow has gone down another couple hundred bucks.

Besides I just want the basic upgrade as I prefer the carbon fiber pattern of the non-flow Ether C cups anyway.

Hope I'm not missing much because I love my Ether C, could use a little bit more bass but other than that they're outstanding phones. Better than the LCD-XC.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,396 of 5,796
Agreed!

I too have been patiently waiting. After all it's us original owners that helped put the Ether and Ether C on the map.

I fully understand having to get out orders for the new product but there needs to be a fair balance.

It's now too late to sell my pair to buy a new one outright as resale value for the non-flow has gone down another couple hundred bucks.

Besides I just want the basic upgrade as I prefer the carbon fiber pattern of the non-flow Ether C cups anyway.

Hope I'm not missing much because I love my Ether C, could use a little bit more bass but other than that they're outstanding phones. Better than the LCD-XC.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm somewhere on the list for the upgrade. I'm not that worried about the email.

I spent a meet with the C (mine) and C Flow (one of Dan's demos) at my rig. I like the flow better, but the non flow C is just as good as it was the day before I heard the flow. I also prefer the original angle weave carbon fiber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back