MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 14, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #3,556 of 4,813
Agree to disagree I guess. Not bass light to me. The do not have the upper bass / low mid bump that makes a headphone bass heavy. Semantics maybe. Anyway, accurate, deep bass to me. I do sometimes dial in 3 db or so below 125 hz. when I want a bit of warm elevated bass.
Disagree or not I think you detailed your opinion better than I did with mine.

On a side note: I also miss my 650's like you did :frowning2:

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,558 of 4,813
  I received my Ether C's yesterday. Right away I was floored by the amazing mids, highs and overall musicality of them. Not to mention the great soundstage/imaging from a set of closed cans. Plus so light and comfortable! However, after awhile I was really disturbed about the lack of bass impact and extension. I've had a lot of different planars (multiple Audeze, PM-3, t50rp mods, several HifiMan) and these are by far the most bass light. While I certainly expected them to have less bass than my LCD-XC, they're not even in the same ballpark. A few helpful members suggested I burn them in for 150 hours, which I will, but I have a hard time believing it will improve them that drastically. 

Has there been any known driver issues with Ether C's? I'm just wondering if that could even be a possibility in this situation. And who knows, maybe it's just me??? I'm by no means a Basshead, but on my favorite tracks for testing bass during the low frequency sweep it seems to have trouble retrieving all the information. I also decided to compare my HD800 to the C's bass, and the 800 had better extension and quantity. That seemed very strange to me.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thx.

BTW I tested this on a few setups, but mainly used DX80>Mojo>LC

Be sure to come back and post your results. I demoed the Ether C for a week and wasn't impressed with the bass either (compared to my LCD-XC). It gave the headphones the impression of being thin/distant/hollow to me. I didn't have a chance to burn them in (and that was before the "1.1" upgrade) so I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out for you. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,559 of 4,813
I'm thinking my e10k, while barely sufficient for the C's, might actually be alright - the ~+6db bass boost switch might preclude me having to run EQ software when I want the thump. Until I can get a Mojo or similar of course :p

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3,561 of 4,813
Having the HD600 atm is the Ether C less bassy? Listened to a sound demo comparison of them but found it difficult to judge because listening thru the 600s... Modded ones at that which removes the foam between the driver and the earpad which makes the bass even lower in level maybe a few dB. (Still good for me!)

TBH I didn't like the amount of bass on the Alpha Dogs I got like clausterphobia or something because of hearing so much content down low that I never knew even existed in some music and them being closed and all. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,562 of 4,813
I'm thinking my e10k, while barely sufficient for the C's, might actually be alright - the ~+6db bass boost switch might preclude me having to run EQ software when I want the thump. Until I can get a Mojo or similar of course :p
I actually still have the e10. For Giggles I plugged it up and tried it with the ether. Personally I don't think that you'll like it. But you could always try it first. If you were on a budget and looking for a little extra Bass you might try and ifi idsd micro. It has a bass boost and the dac is actually very good.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,563 of 4,813
Hmm, I'll have to report back! I have heard e10 sounds way different than e10k, but I know it's not gonna be wonderful :p  I'll check out the idsd. What about getting a little amp like Cayin C5 and using e10k as dac? 

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,564 of 4,813
  Hmm, I'll have to report back! I have heard e10 sounds way different than e10k, but I know it's not gonna be wonderful :p  I'll check out the idsd. What about getting a little amp like Cayin C5 and using e10k as dac? 

I was just thinking that. You might consider a used iCan Nano, if you want portability. I have that  and I think it sound pretty good with the Ether C. The bass boost is subtle, and just perfect for the Ether C if you like more bass. Personally I'm finding the Ether C to have quite a bit of bass, but Mine are fully burned in.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,565 of 4,813
man I threw another black tuning pad to my tp modded C and  now the bass is great, weighty deep and pure yet not over bearing, quantity it's mids > bass > treble the way I like it.

I prefer it to even 1.1, which while warmer with a blacker background, it's not as detailed or airy.

Oh just upgraded my dac

The sony haps1b is giving me a large stage, layered depth,  3d imaging, plenty of detail and separation and clarity, and the wa6 adds musicality, warmth and engagement.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,566 of 4,813
  man I threw another black tuning pad to my tp modded C and  now the bass is great, weighty deep and pure yet not over bearing, quantity it's mids > bass > treble the way I like it.

I prefer it to even 1.1, which while warmer with a blacker background, it's not as detailed or airy.

Oh just upgraded my dac

The sony haps1b is giving me a large stage, layered depth,  3d imaging, plenty of detail and separation and clarity, and the wa6 adds musicality, warmth and engagement.

Nice looking setup! How do you like the wa6 with Ether C? Stock tubes?

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,567 of 4,813
What's a "tp modded c" ?

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3,568 of 4,813
I'm pretty sure he meant "toilet paper modified Ether C".  Not being flippant, but I've read several posts about people modifying their headphones with similar materials..

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,569 of 4,813
The TP mods are based around the notion that different materials affect different frequencies differently. So TP reduces/smooths a section of treble that some people find headphones including Ether C and Senn 800 have a spike in.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,570 of 4,813
  I'm pretty sure he meant "toilet paper modified Ether C".  Not being flippant, but I've read several posts about people modifying their headphones with similar materials..

It's pretty funny how people buy insanely expensive headphones then use 2 small pieces of toilet paper and it makes everything better :D not meaning to offend anybody I just find it funny haha (oh yeah and used it on my CX 300 to tame the highs and it works well!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back