MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,571 of 4,813
Yeah, sometimes the simplest things work the best, regardless of what it's used in (or on!
wink.gif
).  For example, I use a simple bent finishing nail as a hanger for my clean room nitrogen gun on the flowbench in my lab.  I tried finding a nice, expensive all stainless hanger that would work but nothing fit so a colleague suggested a nail.  Works perfect!

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,573 of 4,813
  The TP mods are based around the notion that different materials affect different frequencies differently. So TP reduces/smooths a section of treble that some people find headphones including Ether C and Senn 800 have a spike in.

Ah, thanks for the answer. I imagine one could modify theTP ( extra soft, double weight, different coatings, etc.) Interesting. I'll have to check out the TP selection next time I shop. We need a database! Paper towels included.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #3,574 of 4,813

Nice looking setup! How do you like the wa6 with Ether C? Stock tubes?

stock driver but I'm using a nos rytheon JAN-5R4WGB

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3,576 of 4,813
My 2 cents re: bass quantity / impact. I've had the Ether C's for a few months now and put ~200hrs into it. My initial impressions were also that they felt "light" in terms of quantity.

I have noticed a marked change in quantity (probably somewhere around 150hr mark) - I didn't really keep track on how long I was listening for, but that seems about right. I have the 1.1 foam in there as well now. The extent of the increase might include some expectation bias, but no question there was a change.

I recently listened to a well-broken in set of LCD-XCs and did a direct comparison to my Ether C's on my equipment (Centrance HiFi-M8, my source music). No doubt, the XC's have a fuller, thicker bass (Audeze house sound). Even with breaking in, I don't think the Ether C's will ever get to the same level. The question is, if that amount of impact is "good" / preferred, and whether the Ether C's bass is enough for your preferences. 

For me, I'm very pleased with the bass (quality and quantity) of my Ether C's now - post break-in / 1.1 upgrade (no additional tuning pads). It's clean, tight, crisp, and detailed, and the "slam" is enough for me.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #3,577 of 4,813

Ah, thanks for the answer. I imagine one could modify theTP ( extra soft, double weight, different coatings, etc.) Interesting. I'll have to check out the TP selection next time I shop. We need a database! Paper towels included.

Not only toliet paper, some modders had used materials like creatology foam to great effect on older mr.speaker headphones like the prime and alpha do.

Hmm I think I need new tubes, the ones on my wa6 is a has a slightly plasticy tone in the upper mids. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #3,578 of 4,813
My experience has been: No pads sounds best to one black is better to two blacks are the best to no blacks are the way to go... to one black. Where I find myself now.  Fun Hobby!!

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,579 of 4,813
People are now using toilet paper to modify a $1500 dollar headphone?! That is borderline absurd. Begs the question though, new or used?

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #3,580 of 4,813
  My 2 cents re: bass quantity / impact. I've had the Ether C's for a few months now and put ~200hrs into it. My initial impressions were also that they felt "light" in terms of quantity.

I have noticed a marked change in quantity (probably somewhere around 150hr mark) - I didn't really keep track on how long I was listening for, but that seems about right. I have the 1.1 foam in there as well now. The extent of the increase might include some expectation bias, but no question there was a change.

I recently listened to a well-broken in set of LCD-XCs and did a direct comparison to my Ether C's on my equipment (Centrance HiFi-M8, my source music). No doubt, the XC's have a fuller, thicker bass (Audeze house sound). Even with breaking in, I don't think the Ether C's will ever get to the same level. The question is, if that amount of impact is "good" / preferred, and whether the Ether C's bass is enough for your preferences. 

For me, I'm very pleased with the bass (quality and quantity) of my Ether C's now - post break-in / 1.1 upgrade (no additional tuning pads). It's clean, tight, crisp, and detailed, and the "slam" is enough for me.

Recently I've been drifting back to the XCs as my main closed headphones for that reason... in the end I think I just prefer the dynamics and impact of the Audeze. It really becomes apparent on bassy passages in rock music. The break-in and 1.1 foam changed them some but not a lot.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #3,581 of 4,813
You can be the fIrst to contribute to the TP DATA FILE by doing a review along those lines

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #3,582 of 4,813
  People are now using toilet paper to modify a $1500 dollar headphone?! That is borderline absurd. Begs the question though, new or used?

TBF it's the driver and the materials used for the body of the headphone that constitutes most of that 1500 cost, the damping itself  is not that much more pricey than a dozen rolls of tp .

Look at the price of the 1.1 mod, just a tenner. If 10 dollar foam pieces can improve the sound I don't see why can't tp do the same.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #3,583 of 4,813
Ok. I just got mine. Wowzer. Are they ever comfortable. And high end construction. Man.

Aaaaand, that's all I can say. Cause my order at Schiit is backed up for a couple more weeks. I can't use the damn things. Are there adapters from balanced 4 pin XLR to 3.5mm? I wanna plug into my computer and start breaking them in...

TORTURE!!!!

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,584 of 4,813
  Ok. I just got mine. Wowzer. Are they ever comfortable. And high end construction. Man.

Aaaaand, that's all I can say. Cause my order at Schiit is backed up for a couple more weeks. I can't use the damn things. Are there adapters from balanced 4 pin XLR to 3.5mm? I wanna plug into my computer and start breaking them in...

TORTURE!!!!

You must get these plugged in and burning in while you wait for your amp!!

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,585 of 4,813
I KNOW MAN. I am dying. I only have the balanced 4-pin XLR. I rushed ordered and shipped a 3.5mm cable for $100 which would be useless in 3 weeks, but it was worth it to me to get these burning. And to have an option anyway, I guess. But they didn't have the parts to make and send one. Nothing in stock. So I am screwed.

Anyone know of an adapter that could help me out?

EDIT: Would this work? Or will that 3.5mm be balanced? Will that not work into my PC/Phone?

http://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Headphone-Adapter-Hifiman/dp/B00X2Q2SXG
or
http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Female-Balanced-Adapter-Hi-end/dp/B011LRBIL0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460676713&sr=1-3&keywords=4+pin+balanced+xlr+to+3.5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back