MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 13, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,541 of 4,813
I got my DP-X1 via a grey import form HK to down under. Lucky we don't pay any tax for stuff under A$1,000! Ended up around US$560 for it, including delivery. At that price, it is a steal. That is good news, showing there's quite a lot of fat in the RRP.
I have been using it daily since the end of January and I have to say, this is a solid and versatile DAP. Thinking about buying Ether Cs but right now I'm happy with listening to my Flare R2Pros, Oppo PM-3 and TH-X00s driven by DP-X1 and Chord Mojo. Not a big fan of listening music at home so for now I'm struggling to justify expensive non-portable cans. Having said that, I'm itching to listen the Cs balanced off the DP-X1...
I'm very interested how the DP-X1 pairs with the Ether C. I'm interested in using it with the Ether C via the balance output, hoping it won't require an external amp like Mojo or CDM.

I've also looked into the QPR1, heard it pairs well with the Ether C but no TIDAL streaming kills it for me.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #3,544 of 4,813
I received my Ether C's yesterday. Right away I was floored by the amazing mids, highs and overall musicality of them. Not to mention the great soundstage/imaging from a set of closed cans. Plus so light and comfortable! However, after awhile I was really disturbed about the lack of bass impact and extension. I've had a lot of different planars (multiple Audeze, PM-3, t50rp mods, several HifiMan) and these are by far the most bass light. While I certainly expected them to have less bass than my LCD-XC, they're not even in the same ballpark. A few helpful members suggested I burn them in for 150 hours, which I will, but I have a hard time believing it will improve them that drastically. 

Has there been any known driver issues with Ether C's? I'm just wondering if that could even be a possibility in this situation. And who knows, maybe it's just me??? I'm by no means a Basshead, but on my favorite tracks for testing bass during the low frequency sweep it seems to have trouble retrieving all the information. I also decided to compare my HD800 to the C's bass, and the 800 had better extension and quantity. That seemed very strange to me.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thx.

BTW I tested this on a few setups, but mainly used DX80>Mojo>LC

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,545 of 4,813
  I received my Ether C's yesterday. Right away I was floored by the amazing mids, highs and overall musicality of them. Not to mention the great soundstage/imaging from a set of closed cans. Plus so light and comfortable! However, after awhile I was really disturbed about the lack of bass impact and extension. I've had a lot of different planars (multiple Audeze, PM-3, t50rp mods, several HifiMan) and these are by far the most bass light. While I certainly expected them to have less bass than my LCD-XC, they're not even in the same ballpark. A few helpful members suggested I burn them in for 150 hours, which I will, but I have a hard time believing it will improve them that drastically. 

Has there been any known driver issues with Ether C's? I'm just wondering if that could even be a possibility in this situation. And who knows, maybe it's just me??? I'm by no means a Basshead, but on my favorite tracks for testing bass during the low frequency sweep it seems to have trouble retrieving all the information. I also decided to compare my HD800 to the C's bass, and the 800 had better extension and quantity. That seemed very strange to me.

Let them burn in.  It's a noticeable change.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,546 of 4,813
Seems like a lot of folks EQ in some bass. I guess the Mojo doesn't have bass boost on it or I'd say throw that switch! The tuning pads can apparently increase bass, and of course burn in with EDM is basically required. I haven't gotten mine yet (hoping for end of week but more likely early next) but I imagine I'll do doing some/all of those :)

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,547 of 4,813
put one black pad on

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,548 of 4,813

All my Ether-C customers have told me the same thing (asking if something might be wrong with them, because they don't sound like the pair I let them audition).  Rest assured, after burn in of around 200 hours, there is a noticeable increase in bass. That said, it is still a very neutral headphone and not for bass-heads. I like the white pad from the tuning kit for a little extra bass.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3,549 of 4,813
Yes, 200 hours of burn in is required for the bass to really develop.  Dan the manufacturer has stated this, saying that because of the pleats in the driver it takes additional time to open up and meet specs -- that's the way it was designed.

And it is a BIG improvement, going from bass light to a solid bass with fine sub bass.  Just don't expect the bass to be like a bass heavy headphone, nor should it be. But the detail and clarity of the bass is excellent. Also, burn in helps the rest of the sound spectrum as well.  You ain't heard nuthin yet!

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #3,550 of 4,813
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. My C's are burning in as I type!

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,551 of 4,813
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #3,552 of 4,813
No weak bass here! Listening bliss. :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #3,553 of 4,813
I think there's a lot that's being taken out of context here from people's comments.

I used the wrong type of words maybe when I personally described the bass of the Ether C. I do think it's fairly detailed but I would say the amount of it, the impact it holds and the thickness it has, can be likened to the stock HD800. There just simply isn't a lot of it at all in my opinion and I really expected more. I wouldn't hesitate calling them bass light just as I wouldn't hesitate calling the Shure range 'treble light'.I can't see how burn-in would dramatically change that.

I will be listening again in a couple of weeks.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,555 of 4,813
I think there's a lot that's being taken out of context here from people's comments.

I used the wrong type of words maybe when I personally described the bass of the Ether C. I do think it's fairly detailed but I would say the amount of it, the impact it holds and the thickness it has, can be likened to the stock HD800. There just simply isn't a lot of it at all in my opinion and I really expected more. I wouldn't hesitate calling them bass light just as I wouldn't hesitate calling the Shure range 'treble light'.I can't see how burn-in would dramatically change that.

I will be listening again in a couple of weeks.

Agree to disagree I guess. Not bass light to me. The do not have the upper bass / low mid bump that makes a headphone bass heavy. Semantics maybe. Anyway, accurate, deep bass to me. I do sometimes dial in 3 db or so below 125 hz. when I want a bit of warm elevated bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back