MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,586 of 4,813
  I KNOW MAN. I am dying. I only have the balanced 4-pin XLR. I rushed ordered and shipped a 3.5mm cable for $100 which would be useless in 3 weeks, but it was worth it to me to get these burning. And to have an option anyway, I guess. But they didn't have the parts to make and send one. Nothing in stock. So I am screwed.

Anyone know of an adapter that could help me out?

Why don't you just google it and buy one of the adaptors from amazon

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,587 of 4,813
  I KNOW MAN. I am dying. I only have the balanced 4-pin XLR. I rushed ordered and shipped a 3.5mm cable for $100 which would be useless in 3 weeks, but it was worth it to me to get these burning. And to have an option anyway, I guess. But they didn't have the parts to make and send one. Nothing in stock. So I am screwed.

Anyone know of an adapter that could help me out?

EDIT: Would this work? Or will that 3.5mm be balanced? Will that not work into my PC/Phone?

http://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Headphone-Adapter-Hifiman/dp/B00X2Q2SXG

If you put your location in your profile, you might have a better chance of finding a person to help. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #3,589 of 4,813

TBF it's the driver and the materials used for the body of the headphone that constitutes most of that 1500 cost, the damping itself  is not that much more pricey than a dozen rolls of tp .

Look at the price of the 1.1 mod, just a tenner. If 10 dollar foam pieces can improve the sound I don't see why can't tp do the same.

True, but this is basically the audio equivalent of buying a luxury sports car and putting some loud muffler or ugly spoiler on it. It is a beautifully designed headphone, please don't ruin it with TP, thanks.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,590 of 4,813
  Why don't you just google it and buy one of the adaptors from amazon

I just did and posted the links in my previous post. I don't know if I can go balanced XLR into 3.5mm stereo for the PC or phone. Is there anything 'bad' about that?

EDIT: Those two amazon links send from China. No joy............

I found the one I need. It will be here Saturday. I'll have to invest lots of family time before then!

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRSL12/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460678481&sr=1-3&keywords=4+pin+balanced+xlr+to+1%2F4

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,591 of 4,813

TBF it's the driver and the materials used for the body of the headphone that constitutes most of that 1500 cost, the damping itself  is not that much more pricey than a dozen rolls of tp .

Look at the price of the 1.1 mod, just a tenner. If 10 dollar foam pieces can improve the sound I don't see why can't tp do the same.

True, but this is basically the audio equivalent of buying a luxury sports car and putting some loud muffler or ugly spoiler on it. It is a beautifully designed headphone, please don't ruin it with TP, thanks.

I think the TP goes where the 1.1 pad would go, so you can't see it. More like playing barry manilow in the expensive car :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,593 of 4,813

I just did and posted the links in my previous post. I don't know if I can go balanced XLR into 3.5mm stereo for the PC or phone. Is there anything 'bad' about that?

EDIT: Those two amazon links send from China. No joy............

I found the one I need. It will be here Saturday. I'll have to invest lots of family time before then!

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRSL12/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460678481&sr=1-3&keywords=4+pin+balanced+xlr+to+1%2F4

That one is perfect.  with prime you can get it right away and start burning.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,595 of 4,813

I think the TP goes where the 1.1 pad would go, so you can't see it. More like playing barry manilow in the expensive car :)

Yeah with the way I modded it you can't tell the difference between a modded ether and a stock or 1.1 one. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #3,596 of 4,813
Recently I've been drifting back to the XCs as my main closed headphones for that reason... in the end I think I just prefer the dynamics and impact of the Audeze. It really becomes apparent on bassy passages in rock music. The break-in and 1.1 foam changed them some but not a lot.

When I listened to the XC's, I really liked the sound. A lot. I see why people fall in love with that Audeze house sound. Both the XC's and the Ether C's are amazing closed headphones, and at this level, I think it's personal preference. The factor that swayed me to the Ethers though is the comfort - 394g vs 650g is no joke, and I've had zero issues with long listening sessions with the Ether C's. If I could design a perfect headphone, would I prefer a bit more bass slam / impact? Probably. But I'm certainly extremely happy with the Ether C's, and would choose these over the XC's probably every time. But again, personal preference.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #3,598 of 4,813
Anybody care to share the next round of winning lottery numbers with me?  I SOOOOOOO want to get a pair of these NOW!!!
o2smile.gif

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #3,600 of 4,813
I just purchased Ether C's to upgrade from my Alpha Dogs. I always found the Alpha Dogs pleasant and musical but a bit too much bass and a bit too laid back.

I find the Ether C's are exactly what I was looking for. Much more transparent and open sounding with fast and accurate bass. This is right out of the box sound - not broken in yet. I have been playing them 24x7 for the past few days and will continue for the first week or two this way.

I am currently using a Burson Conductor Virtuoso V1 with the ESS dac module. The sound is a touch bright but I preferred this to the Grace m920 which I found a bit too warm sounding. Even better is my MSB Platinum DAC III (that I stole from my main system) feeding the Burson but I will need to put that back at some point.

I have a Meitner Bidat to try soon as well but am leaning toward getting a Schiit Yggy for use as my headphone system source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back