MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Dec 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,861 of 4,813

We are still around 2-3 weeks.  We've been ramping up but we can't keep up with either ETHER right now.  We're adding 50% more burn in capacity this week.

Congratulations Dan - you guys deserve this success ! 

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,862 of 4,813
Are they really portable? They look to big to be truly portable IMHO They will be my next purchase for sure but for home use. I can't imagine using them on the go even though they can be driven by my iPhone or QP1R
Using my PM-3's for portable option

Totally agree i would never wear them outside- they are just too big- i cant wait until Dan develops a smaller real portable headphone.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,863 of 4,813
I've been wearing mine everywhere. They feel very light on the head despite the size. Leakage and isolation are great, and I get no menacing looks or scowls because they're not Beats. Everyone pretty much ignores them, so the size is probably not an issue. Checks all the portability boxes imo *except* running straight out of a smartphone, which it can do but a nice amp or DAP is better.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,864 of 4,813
...i would never wear them outside- they are just too big- .

If I get to own these beauties I will never leave them at home. If they have a carrying case they are portable 
o2smile.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,865 of 4,813

If I get to own these beauties I will never leave them at home. If they have a carrying case they are portable 
o2smile.gif

The case will carry the phones, the 6' XLR DUM cable (detached), an 8" XLR to 2.5mm trrs adapter that I built, and my AK120ii.  So I guess that's handy, though I haven't listened to them enough with the AK120ii to see if it's worth it.  The little bit sounded pretty good, though the volume needed was much higher than my Ciem's, 55 vs 35 out of 75. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #1,866 of 4,813

The case will carry the phones, the 6' XLR DUM cable (detached), an 8" XLR to 2.5mm trrs adapter that I built, and my AK120ii.  So I guess that's handy, though I haven't listened to them enough with the AK120ii to see if it's worth it.  The little bit sounded pretty good, though the volume needed was much higher than my Ciem's, 55 vs 35 out of 75. 

Oh wow! I had assumed that the case would hold the phones only.

I'm after a new DAP ... for future-proofing purposes, I'll have to check compatibility with an ETHER case for any potential purchase 
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,867 of 4,813
My DJ rig: cables, USB sticks, adapters:

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,868 of 4,813
Are they really portable? They look to big to be truly portable IMHO They will be my next purchase for sure but for home use. I can't imagine using them on the go even though they can be driven by my iPhone or QP1R
Using my PM-3's for portable option

They are big but very light, comfortable and has very good isolation. I am actually using them almost exclusively as portable. The thick and a little longer cable is actually what bothers me while using it as a portable.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,869 of 4,813

They are big but very light, comfortable and has very good isolation. I am actually using them almost exclusively as portable. The thick and a little longer cable is actually what bothers me while using it as a portable.

I'm all for the thick cable for durability reasons, but a shorter, smartphone-length cable would be the BOMB.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,870 of 4,813
  Dan,
Seen quite a few reports of lack of bass.  Bass on my C was fine but it sounded quite warm.  The treble improved after burn in.  Am I hearing wrong or is that a thing.

I went to great lengths to discuss bass several posts back.  Please read.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,871 of 4,813

Agree with @headwhacker, they could be used portably but the cable is a bit thick / unwieldy for walking (based on new DUM cable). Like most high-end planars, the cups are thick though, so they are definitely a bit bolder compared to the usual look of people walking around with Beats / Bose over-ear headphones.

I've generally used them at home, but am actually writing this from a coffee shop (first time taking them out!). Isolation and leakage is perfect for coffee shop listening (driving from my iPhone and Centrance HiFi-M8). This is the beauty of the closed cans and a huge reason why I went the C's vs the open Ethers.

Also, re: burn-in, I now have around 40 hours of listening, and am definitely noticing the bass impact increasing from my initial 5-10hr impressions. Loving these things!

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,873 of 4,813
I am sorry but you will never see me wearing this puppies while walking in the city. I am not that brave lol I meant something along the lines of PM-3s.

Not to argue, but in my opinion the ETHER C is nothing compared to walking around with the HE1000 in public. I walked around with it at the 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica, and if I could record the looks I got, it would have made for a good laugh. .........actually it wasn't that bad.

For reference, walking around with the pre production ETHER C (re-tuned to up-to-date production specifications) garnered zero odd looks when I was out and about with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back