MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,876 of 4,813
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,877 of 4,813
To the guys who won't wear the Ether C outside of the home: some us do. You know, to each their own and so forth?

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,879 of 4,813
Dec 28, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,880 of 4,813
Ah okay, no worries. Hope to see you again at the next meet!
beerchug.gif

I'll be at CES and SoCal CanJam! Hope to see you soon!

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,881 of 4,813
I'll be at CES and SoCal CanJam! Hope to see you soon!

If I take off my duties during CES, I'll be there! If not, then you know that I chose my duties. :frowning2:

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,883 of 4,813
Not to argue, but in my opinion the ETHER C is nothing compared to walking around with the HE1000 in public. I walked around with it at the 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica, and if I could record the looks I got, it would have made for a good laugh. .........actually it wasn't that bad.

For reference, walking around with the pre production ETHER C (re-tuned to up-to-date production specifications) garnered zero odd looks when I was out and about with it.

If you were walking around with the HEK as a goof then OK i suppose but in what universe would or could somebody walk around outside with a 3K open headphone that leaks as much sound as it does and provides absolutely no isolation?.....

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,884 of 4,813
I would totally use these out and about.  They're light enough, they're easy enough to drive and they are very not-flashy (while still being stylish).  If/when I get a pair of these, I'll be hauling them back and forth to work every day without hesitation.

The only real problem I see is having a portable source that will do them justice.  Nothing worse that using my X5 DAP with some nice customs and being able to hear how muddy the DAC in there sounds.  I'd have to get a QP1R next, and I'm not made of money!  
mad.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,885 of 4,813
  I would totally use these out and about.  They're light enough, they're easy enough to drive and they are very not-flashy (while still being stylish).  If/when I get a pair of these, I'll be hauling them back and forth to work every day without hesitation.

The only real problem I see is having a portable source that will do them justice.  Nothing worse that using my X5 DAP with some nice customs and being able to hear how muddy the DAC in there sounds.  I'd have to get a QP1R next, and I'm not made of money!  
mad.gif

The C's and QP1R is a great match. So worth the money.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,886 of 4,813
What DAPs out there are more powerful than the QP1R?

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,887 of 4,813
  What DAPs out there are more powerful than the QP1R?

The QP1R's big strength is the amp.  The DAC isn't bad by any means, but there are better out there.  Combine an AK or Chord with a Cavalli Liquid Spark, for example, and you have something that can easily compete, sound-wise.  

Price is another story tho... lol  QP1R hits a nice price/performance sweet spot.

Nice thing about the C is that you don't need a killer amp (sweet!) but it scales with one (super sweet!).

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,888 of 4,813
The QP1R's big strength is the amp.  The DAC isn't bad by any means, but there are better out there.  Combine an AK or Chord with a Cavalli Liquid Spark, for example, and you have something that can easily compete, sound-wise.  

Price is another story tho... lol  QP1R hits a nice price/performance sweet spot.

Nice thing about the C is that you don't need a killer amp (sweet!) but it scales with one (super sweet!).

Is the Cavalli portable named the Spark now?

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,889 of 4,813
Is the Cavalli portable named the Spark now?

My understanding is that's the name that won the contest.  I should probably confirm with Alex...

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,890 of 4,813
My understanding is that's the name that won the contest.  I should probably confirm with Alex...

Boo.... I didn't win the contest then......

I'm loving the ETHER C with the Carbon so it's probably a sure bet I'll love them with the *Spark*(?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back