MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,847 of 4,813
What kind of changes are people noticing with break-in? Just curious because I am finding the sub-bass a bit lacking for my tastes. Vocals sound great and there's great clarity and separation though, certainly the best I've heard in a closed back, but the sub-bass is just not enough for me yet. I've only got about 5 hours on them so far, so just wondering what kind of changes I can expect. Might need to give the felt pads a try soon too to see if that helps.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,849 of 4,813
  What kind of changes are people noticing with break-in? Just curious because I am finding the sub-bass a bit lacking for my tastes. Vocals sound great and there's great clarity and separation though, certainly the best I've heard in a closed back, but the sub-bass is just not enough for me yet. I've only got about 5 hours on them so far, so just wondering what kind of changes I can expect. Might need to give the felt pads a try soon too to see if that helps.

As per Dan they need almost 200 hrs of loud bass heavy burn in. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #1,850 of 4,813
  @Mshenay the Ether C's are out in the wild as full production models... no pro-production needed.

well I'm hoping to grab a demo from Dan, I've asked in the past before an he's never got any spares lying around! Lol 

Hang in there, they will absolutely change! I'm just past 100 hours and the bottom end has filled out significantly.

My DT 880 was like that to, first like month it was really bass light for my tastes, it got better over time, 

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,852 of 4,813
  Have you seen the new echobox dap yet?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/echobox-the-evolution-of-personal-audio#/

Oh that's smart! build a device for streaming in High Res, are they using it as a WiFi Device though? It would seem LTE might be the better way to go, as a DAP is well portable an hunting for Wifi doesn't make a DAP worth owning imo 

but how much noise does LTE implimentation introduce I wonder :/ 

also on to the Ether C, I kinda like when people throw out the "not enough BASS" moniker, I've recently been told my beloved HE 4 lacks in "weight" an slam, so chances are I'll most likely enjoy the Ether C right out the box if it's also suffering from a lack of bass. As I'm really look at the Ether C to replace my HE 4, an frankly I think mine has some great Sub Bass -.- I happen to like it's slam to mind you

either way, really hoping I can get out to CanJam SoCal this year an hear these! 

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,853 of 4,813
1 year transferable

Our Mad Dog and Alpha Dogs are 1 year, but ETHERs are 2.  

BTW, we are super happy with the reliability with ETHER.  Our failure rate is incredibly low.  To date we've had two minor non-driver mechanical issues, a set of sliders that got stripped, and one wiring problem on a driver in-total for ETHER and ETHER C.  Other than that there've just been a few cable problems.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,854 of 4,813
  Is there still a wait time for these? Or did production already met the initial demand?
I'm still jumping at the idea of getting them... or not... LOL. Just curious...

We are still around 2-3 weeks.  We've been ramping up but we can't keep up with either ETHER right now.  We're adding 50% more burn in capacity this week.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 28, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,855 of 4,813

Our Mad Dog and Alpha Dogs are 1 year, but ETHERs are 2.  

BTW, we are super happy with the reliability with ETHER.  Our failure rate is incredibly low.  To date we've had two minor non-driver mechanical issues, a set of sliders that got stripped, and one wiring problem on a driver in-total for ETHER and ETHER C.  Other than that there've just been a few cable problems.

Oh boy Cable problems, lovely lol it must be a trend 

well you guys are a US Based company, so for me living in the States sending them off for service wouldn't be an issue, as much as I love... the customer service of another company I really like [outside the us] the time needed to ship something off is sometimes a little bit much, even more so if it's a product I'm using on a daily basis 

We are still around 2-3 weeks.  We've been ramping up but we can't keep up with either ETHER right now.  We're adding 50% more burn in capacity this week.

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #1,857 of 4,813
If you ever want to sell it. PM me.
smily_headphones1.gif

C is still the best portable headphone I have. I don't think I would let it go so soon 
tongue_smile.gif
. The cable however, is too thick for mobile use. I am going to get a pair of hirose connectors and make a cable from a spare iem cable I have. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,858 of 4,813
This headphone is not like other headphones because of the v-planar driver processing, it does improve as it burns in and it takes 100-200 hours. By design.

That said, will it ever outdo the soundstage of the open headphone that is generally perceived as having the biggest soundstage? Probably not for most people! But it obviously does other things an open can't. The fact that one can compare it to the soundstage of open TOTL cans at all is what I was shooting for in the design.

+1

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,859 of 4,813

C is still the best portable headphone I have. I don't think I would let it go so soon 
tongue_smile.gif
. The cable however, is too thick for mobile use. I am going to get a pair of hirose connectors and make a cable from a spare iem cable I have. 

Have fun with the crimp thing :)
By far the most difficult part of the Hirose connector for me. The next time I do one, I'm planning to build up some heat shrink to the point that the crimp actually makes a strong mechanical connection. The cable I just made just sort of snags on the para-cord. That said, it seems that's the same way as the DUM cables are done, but the sleeving Dan uses is thicker. I'll be interested to hear how you managed that part of your cable build.

I'd love Dan's advice if he has any.
I'd also like to know where to source a crimper for the Hirose connectors.
I also think it would be cool if Dan sold the crimpers and carried the HR10A-7J-4S(73) connector (which is the female jack version of what's used on his cables). But I digress, Dan is not an electronics supply house.

I'd like the HR10A-7J-4S(73) to terminate the cable with to make a modular system. I've ordered one, it's the version with the collet on it. Now I just have to decide what I want from a cable with that termination length wise, if I'll use a 4 pole mic cable unstripped or remove the outer insulation and shielding in favor of flexibility and cover with para-cord. Decisions decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back